• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a resource of Athe(ism)?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Resources for atheism? Pretty much all of science and history. Look at what religions preach and then at what the science says. Then look at what is done in the name of religion historically. By their fruit you shall know them.

I don't understand, science says nothing about religions as such for their truth or not. Now Science does do that, but that is not science.
And at least science don't do morality or ethics as science.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I don't understand, science says nothing about religions as such for their truth or not. Now Science does do that, but that is not science.
And at least science don't do morality or ethics as science.
You can certainly be a theist and also be a scientist or just a person who keeps up with science but it is worth noting that the available evidence from many fields of science directly contradict many religious positions. If your theism is based on a literal understanding of the Bible, for example.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You can certainly be a theist and also be a scientist or just a person who keeps up with science but it is worth noting that the available evidence from many fields of science directly contradict many religious positions. If your theism is based on a literal understanding of the Bible, for example.

Well, for some non-religious people their morality/ethics is contradicted by science in a sense.
So your non-religious ideology don't have to be in line with science as such.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your children? Why not just give them IQ tests?
In what way will that help? They are grown up. One is a teacher who has received President's Prize, the other is a director of an MNC (I am 81). Three grand children. One has done a Master's in Dentistry.
Well, for some non-religious people their morality/ethics is contradicted by science in a sense.
Science talks about Morality/Ethics only as a tangent (as part of social sciences, psychology, etc.).

Banach-Tarski Paradox

In what way will that help? They are grown up. One is a teacher who has received President's Prize, the other is a director of an MNC (I am 81). Three grand children. One has done a Master's in Dentistry.

I was replying to the notion of using religion as a proxy for intelligence and courage.

That doesn’t make any sense to me.

Banach-Tarski Paradox

Not just that. Many posters deride science. So funny in 21st Century.

Ha! Try being a mathematician…lol.

More seriously, if one considers the fundamental insight of atheism to be the notion that humans created religion (and atheism!), rather than the other way around, then the disciplines of history and anthropology become very important to atheism.

Banach-Tarski Paradox

History is important, Anthropology not so much. Humans are the same everywhere.

Are you a science denialist when it comes to anthropology?

Or, to word it differently (and less acusatorily), do you consider anthropology a pseudoscience?

Your grandchildren could end up as anthropologists. Scientists make careers out of this sort of thing.

It’s not as easy as math, so I probably couldn’t make a career out of it.

Last edited:

Banach-Tarski Paradox

History is important, Anthropology not so much. Humans are the same everywhere.

It may be worth noting that Scientific Creationalists can probably come up with pithy summaries of their perceptions of the science of biology, as well.

Pithy statements of denial is not just something that happens to anthropology and mathematics.

It happens to biology as well.

This is all happening in the 21st Century.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Last edited:

RestlessSoul

Anthropology is a science, you know.

I find it odd that you don’t even believe in Anthropology.

Still there are demarcation criteria which can be used to distinguish between anthropology, sociology etc, and the natural sciences. Which was what Karl Popper had in mind when identifying the principle of falsifiability.

More generally, it’s fair to say there are no laws of science governing human behaviour, which can make predictions a fraction as accurately as Newton’s laws of motion can predict the behaviour of objects.