• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there anything wrong with prostitution?

nnmartin

To me it seems strange that prostitution is effectively outlawed in many Western nations/areas.

It appears as if OT biblical morality has crept into the supposedly secular legal system.

What possible reasons can there still be for outlawing consensual prostitution?

Skwim

Veteran Member
To me it seems strange that prostitution is effectively outlawed in many Western nations/areas.

It appears as if OT biblical morality has crept into the supposedly secular legal system.

What possible reasons can there still be for outlawing consensual prostitution?
Religiously inspired laws have always been with us, if nothing else, in our blue laws. And this goes for laws concerning prostitution as well. So one of the possible reasons is religious morality.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Assuming that their is no extortion, exploitation, violence, and serious health concerns in prostitution, I wouldn't see the problem. But the majority of the situation now would seem to apply those things. Perhaps those things would lessen with legalization as regulatory agencies set up the rules in safer and legal environments.

nnmartin

Religiously inspired laws have always been with us, if nothing else, in our blue laws. And this goes for laws concerning prostitution as well. So one of the possible reasons is religious morality.

I thought there was supposed to be 'separation of church and state' - so how can this insidious biblical morality still hold sway?

nnmartin

Assuming that their is no extortion, exploitation, violence, and serious health concerns in prostitution, I wouldn't see the problem. But the majority of the situation now would seem to apply those things. Perhaps those things would lessen with legalization as regulatory agencies set up the rules in safer and legal environments.

But all these problems exist in society anyway.

isn't this just a case of throwing the baby out with the bath?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Yes there is an awful lot wrong with it.

Turn Off The Red Light is a campaign to end prostitution and sex trafficking in Ireland. It is being run by a new alliance of civil society organisations. Trafficking women and girls for the purposes of sexual exploitation is a modern, global form of slavery. We believe that the best way to combat this is to tackle the demand for prostitution by criminalising the purchase of sex.

http://www.turnofftheredlight.ie/about/
http://www.turnofftheredlight.ie/

nnmartin

how about for those women that actually choose to sell themselves, surely they have the right to do so?

and of course, since when does criminalising something reduce its demand?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
how about for those women that actually choose to sell themselves, surely they have the right to do so?

and of course, since when does criminalising something reduce its demand?

Are they any more than figments of the imagination? Do these imaginary creatures justify the trafficking and enslavement of countless vulnerable women who are exposed to rape, mental torment, imprisonment, beatings and abuse?

I am convinced that they do not.

The issue is one of human rights and human decency. Exploitation, rape and abuse is not acceptable.

nnmartin

from article:
Several countries throughout the world, including Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Lithuania, South Korea and Cambodia have successfully introduced legislation that tackles the demand for sexual acts.

ha ha ha - you've really got to be joking on this one!!

Phnom Penh must have one of the highest rates of prostitution and sex tourism in the world, second only to maybe Pattaya or Bangkok.

what extremely uninformed information that link has

nnmartin

Are they any more than figments of the imagination? Do these imaginary creatures justify the trafficking and enslavement of countless vulnerable women who are exposed to rape, mental torment, imprisonment, beatings and abuse?

so what are you saying here?

that very few women actually choose to sell themselves.

because if you are, you are seriously mistaken.

is this really what you think?

absolute garbage.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
from article:

ha ha ha - you've really got to be joking on this one!!

Phnom Penh must have one of the highest rates of prostitution and sex tourism in the world, second only to maybe Pattaya or Bangkok.

what extremely uninformed information that link has

Rather than be side-tracked by a pointless nit-picking which I expect you would lose, why not deal with the point I used the article to make, i.e.
Trafficking women and girls for the purposes of sexual exploitation is a modern, global form of slavery. We believe that the best way to combat this is to tackle the demand for prostitution by criminalising the purchase of sex.
?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
so what are you saying here?

that very few women actually choose to sell themselves.

because if you are, you are seriously mistaken.

is this really what you think?

absolute garbage.

What's the basis for your assertion?
A secret hope that women want to sell their bodies to sad men who are incapable of respect for women?

nnmartin

I've answered that already.

1. what about the women who choose to sell themselves?

2. decriminalising something does not reduce the demand.

for instance a quick walk around some of the red-light areas of Bangkok will show you how customers just move to where the sex is available.

the place is literally teeming with Western sex tourists of all ages - from USA, Uk, Germany, Australia, Sweden, China etc....

it's human nature at full throttle.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A secret hope that women want to sell their bodies to sad men who are incapable of respect for women?
Even such sad men need love.
Who are you to deny a girl a job, & a guy a little heaven, eh?
You think it's better to throw one or both of'm in jail?
Too many rot in prison already.

nnmartin

I'm sure they may actually prefer to work as a top management consultant or the like, but reality gets in the way of that.

look, I've been there, seen it, done it - those girls who want to make money doing this form of work do so.

who are you to deprive them of their livelihood?

will you pay for their lost business if your agenda gets pushed through?

I doubt it somehow.

whether the men are 'sad' or not is totally irrelevant.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
May i have few questions to be answered by the supporters of prostitution.

1 - Would you be glad if your mother is working as prostitute.
2 - will you accept your sister to work as prostitute.
3 - Do you accept yourself to pay money and sleep with a prostitute.
4 - Would you accept to marry a prostitute.
5 - if you have a daughter,will you be glad that she wanted to work as prostitute.

Look to yourself,so you can wish to others,what you wish to yourself and for your family.

Based in your answers,i will post my reply if prostituation is good or bad as a job.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
May i have few questions to be answered by the supporters of prostitution.
1 - Would you be glad if your mother is working as prostitute.
No. She's been dead for a decade.
But were she alive, I'd oppose it because of the social stigma created by prudes, authoritarians & fundies.

2 - will you accept your sister to work as prostitute.
Sure. It's about time she got a real job.

3 - Do you accept yourself to pay money and sleep with a prostitute.
No. That's cuz I'm cheap. Why pay for what is free?

4 - Would you accept to marry a prostitute.
No. But that's cuz I'm already married.
But were I single & of a marrying mind, I'd be open to it.

5 - if you have a daughter,will you be glad that she wanted to work as prostitute.
You really have a one track mind about this stuff. Do the answers really matter, when the primary objection would be about society's views of the practitioner?
I say to let people loosen up....stop demonizing voluntary activity between consenting adults....get the gov't off our backs so sex workers can stay on theirs.

Look to yourself,so you can wish to others,what you wish to yourself and for your family.
Based in your answers,i will post my reply if prostituation is good or bad as a job.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There's a difference between supporting prostitution, and not wanting to outlaw it.

I don't seek to outlaw all the stuff I don't support.