• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is There Death After Life After Death?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Philosopher's posited in the 18th century that "everything that has a beginning has an end." So starting with the premise that there is life after death and that that life begins after death, doesn't logic dictate that this life after death will end at some point?

If so, how will it end? Is there life after death after life after death? If it happens once, what would end such a cycle?

If not, please explain your logic of how life after death would not end. And for the purpose of this thread, saying something to the extent that "it just doesn't" isn't an acceptable response, so if that's what your answer is, there is no need to respond.

Last edited:

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Even the entire universe will eventually end, so nothing remains the same forever.

As for a human being who dies, he spends some time in different realms before reincarnating again in a physical body on Earth.

Even after achieving liberation (or moksha) from the current cycle of earthly reincarnations, the soul's journey continues.

Here is a description of these cycles of life, death, rebirth: Heaven, Hell and the AfterLife

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Even the entire universe will eventually end, so nothing remains the same forever.

As for a human being who dies, he spends some time in different realms before reincarnating again in a physical body on Earth.

Even after achieving liberation (or moksha) from the current cycle of earthly reincarnations, the soul's journey continues.

Here is a description of these cycles of life, death, rebirth: Heaven, Hell and the AfterLife
I'm not sure what you're referring to as a "soul." Does the soul exist apart from the anandamaya kosha (causal body)?

Colt

Philosopher's posited in the 16th century that "everything that has a beginning has an end." So starting with the premise that there is life after death and that that life begins after death, doesn't logic dictate that this life after death will end at some point?

If so, how will it end? Is there life after death after life after death? If it happens once, what would end such a cycle?

If not, please explain your logic of how life after death would not end. And for the purpose of this thread, saying something to the extent that "it just doesn't" isn't an acceptable response, so if that's what your answer is, there is no need to respond.

For those who chose eternal life there is no more death. For those who reject eternal life there is no more life. It is as if they never existed.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Brain death is the end of me but my component atoms...

The 1st law of thermodynamics tells me that my atoms will go on forever. They will be recycled and go to enrich the earth, the plants, etc and yes, even future humans. In that way we are all made of dead people and future people will be made of us.

Looking even further ahead our sun will die, the atoms of my body may go on to help create other suns other planets, even other life or just float in space.

At some point the universe will undergo heat death, my atoms will still be around but will serve no purpose as they float in space for eternity.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
For those who chose eternal life there is no more death. For those who reject eternal life there is no more life. It is as if they never existed.
This in no way answers the questions in the OP.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When one abandons the more structured conceptions of time and space common to everyday life, notions like "beginnings" or "endings" stop having meaning. I don't really know how to articulate it well because structured thinking about time and space is so taken for granted in everyday life that it's a thinkbox many can't get outside of. And it is disorienting when you do. That moment when you realize you can reach all-times and all-spaces and there's no-time and no-spaces? That none if it is really fixed, all of it is really wibbly wobbly, and where/when you are/were/will be is simply a matter of perspective?

Like I said, I don't really know how to articulate it.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
I'm not sure what you're referring to as a "soul." Does the soul exist apart from the anandamaya kosha (causal body)?
Yes. The anandamaya kosha is the vehicle for holding the soul. The koshas are the sheaths. The soul is the Atma which wrapped in the sheaths

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
When I emphasize my atheist hat sometimes I say that there is indeed life after death and we know that for certain.

Meaning that there has been death, yet life goes on. We know that for certain.

Of course, talk of life after death usually involves some additional premises and expectations that are often connected to the idea of specific persons having more than one life to live. There are whole doctrines attempting to explain and predict how and presumably why that would happen. More often than not there is also some form of associated expectation of "fairness", which may be completely implicit, very explicit, passionate and elaborate, or anything in between.

Some of those doctrines propose that Earthly existence would be a transitional step to an eternal afterlife, while others propose repeated cycles of life and death on Earth for what would be in some sense the same person. Other variations also exist, but these two may be the most representative.

Myself, I think that my own skeptical statement holds true and is quite proper and sufficient. There is indeed, and very demonstrably, life after death. And there is death after that life, and so on. I am not inclined to assume or even to want anything more esoteric or miraculous to somehow happen or exist under those observable facts.

I am all too aware that many people find that unfair and in some sense insufficient. They want to believe that the same person that we see die can or even will somehow live again at least once more.

That strikes me as not only religiously unwise, but also as logically contradictory. Persons are by nature finite and ill adjusted to attempts at transcending our mortality. It is not just that our bodies age and sicken, but also that our minds and emotions are not at all well equipped to deal with significantly longer lifespans.

If anything, we may be already abusing our own abilities to cope such as they are. Mortality is a key ingredient of our most effective means of dealing with disagreements, group conflicts and ideological differences; we are simply not very good in dealing with our own history, traumas and intellectual and emotional baggage either individually or collectivelly. While the craving for history, ancestry and legacy is very much real and common, we would probably have destroyed ourselves long ago were it not for the limitations in fulfilling that craving.

The TLDR is that individual persons do indeed die and do not return to life, and that is very, very likely to be a very good thing indeed.

Incidentally, this connects to my takes on several core Buddhist concepts - Anatta, Sunyata, Anicca, Pratītyasamutpāda.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Philosopher's posited in the 16th century that "everything that has a beginning has an end." So starting with the premise that there is life after death and that that life begins after death, doesn't logic dictate that this life after death will end at some point?

Of course everything that has a beginning need not have an end.
Eg. The sequence of positive integers has a beginning and has no end.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

So then the question might be, is there an end to life?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
When I emphasize my atheist hat sometimes I say that there is indeed life after death and we know that for certain.

Meaning that there has been death, yet life goes on. We know that for certain.
Yes, that's what I was thinking but I am not an atheist. I believe in God, I believe He exists and can give life to whoever and whatever he wants.

The Dreamer

Dreamer

The first death is the death of the physical, the second death is drinking from the lake of fire which is forgetfulness. So maybe after the first death the consciousness lives for a "time" then it forgets and reincarnates in a new body. But really I think it is all me :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Made perfect sense to me.
Uh oh. Does that just make us both crazy? o_O

In seriousness, though - exploration of non-linear time like this was part of the OBOD training. Before that I was intellectually approaching the topic and conceptually understood it, but then I did stuff, saw things, and then... OBOD is really kind of not kidding when they put up disclaimers that one should approach their courses with caution under certain circumstances. If you're in a good head space you'll go "woah, neat!" but if not you might go "brain mushed aaaaagh!" :laughing:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

In the East, the individual soul emerges from Divinity and is a drop. After many apparent births and deaths, the drop soul is reunited from the source.

It gets even grander in scale because to some Brahma lives for 311 trillion years during which time universes are born and die. And that cycle is endless.