• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there knowledge without a knower?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes, I know everything and I am so speical that I know it as independent of any mind. That is how objective I am. ;)

As always we think differently. :)

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I think there will always be a knower

Because there is such a thing as the self-existent one, who always exists

Always has, always will

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There is information waiting to be known. You can call that knowledge.
For example, a book contains knowledge.

No, not really. There are texts today which we know are texts, but which we can't read, so there are no knowledge in them.
It requires a brain with a certain cultural "coding" to read a book in certain language.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No, not really. There are texts today which we know are texts, but which we can't read, so there are no knowledge in them.
It requires a brain with a certain cultural "coding" to read a book in certain language.

An AI system can read a book, in digital format. would this give the AI system knowledge about what is in the book?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
An AI system can read a book, in digital format. would this give the AI system knowledge about what is in the book?

Well, that is for another thread. You can start one and tag me if you want to. You have my permission and if the moderators ask, tell them to ask me.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
If not, then there is someone who knows everything.

Knowledge may be discovered or yet to be found.
No. There must be someone/something around that is capable of knowing in order for there to be knowledge.

This is a less troublesome version of "if a tree falls in the forest, with no one around to hear it, did it make a sound?"

Tinkerpeach

There is information waiting to be known. You can call that knowledge.
For example, a book contains knowledge.
Does knowledge exist without someone knowing it though?

Schrödinger’s Cat.

Perhaps it exists and doesn’t at the same time until it is known.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Congrats, you've (re)discovered one of the foundations of animism - that all things are knowers (that is, all things are not "things" but persons/spirits/beings).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Are there cookies without a baker?
You are close to the theists who say there cannot be an intelligent universe without the grand intelligence. Science discounts this view.
There is 'physical energy' and its properties (which may include non-existence - Ex-nihilo, Zero energy universe), but there is no 'knower' as such.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I think there will always be a knower

Because there is such a thing as the self-existent one, who always exists

Always has, always will
I'm tempted to ask (but I won't) how you know this.