• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Good

Me Myself

Back to my username
I was asking if it was good according to your morals.

Not at all. Smoking is bad according to my morals anyways. If you want a short an exciting life, start making motorcicle tricks or something. At least you are not directly killing yourself if you do it right and you would be a hell of a lot more excited. Smoking? Sounds like nonsense to me :shrug: You just don´t need that silliness to be chilled. Even less if you have to steal it.

turk179

I smell something....
I was asking if it was good according to your morals.
If you don't have the ability to figure out that answer from all the previous posts then I'm not going to hold your hand and spell out the word "no" for you. You seem to be holding out just waiting for one person to say "yeah, it's ok."

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I stole 2 packs of cigerrettes that holds 20 in them from my parents... First I was just like "oh well" later I felt bad for stealing them then now I realized: "Well, it's saving their lungs by 2 packs"

And as you may know I live by a philosophy of "Have fun doing what kills you fast instead of living years without a blast", so I don't generally care for my health and I'm getting something out of it.

So my parents are healthier (even though by just about 1%) and I'm getting a reward because of it. I will continue this, I love my parents and I get a reward for saving them...

When I was 11 years old, I saw some lungs in a tank, one was healthy and the other had emphysema. I was so moved, I came home and told my mother she should quit smoking and I got screamed at (literally). She said it was none of my business (although it was, as I breathed a lot of second hand smoke).

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
And as you may know I live by a philosophy of "Have fun doing what kills you fast instead of living years without a blast"...
Cassiopia is right. It's not really a philosophy if it applies just to you. It sounds more like simple greed that's being rationalized.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
People have to make up their own minds about things, we can't do it for them- even if we believe it to be for their own good.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
DoubleFacepalm.jpg

... What? I was answering waitasec's post.

Draka

Wonder Woman
... What? I was answering waitasec's post.
Then use the quote function like you did here. Otherwise it just looks as if you are responding to the thread as a whole. And either way, it is rather absurd to try to turn this into about asking others' moral outlook on something where you are avidly trying to justify your bad actions into something good.

It is selfish... but this selfishness IS saving them a bit of life. It isn't harming anyone important and has more positive side than a negative.
Let's deal with this nugget. It ISN'T saving them a "bit of life" because they are still smokers and will simply replace what you took. the amount of cigs they smoke will NOT be changed, the cost will. It DOES harm someone as you are now making them spend money they otherwise wouldn't have which takes away from money being spent or saved elsewhere...and for what? Your feeling of entitlement? So as you see, there is definitely a negative, and other than gratifying your addiction through spurious means...there is no positive.

Well I would care but you don't see the point: 1. I'm their kid. 2. I'm doing it for the reason of protecting them (otherwise I would've just stole 1)
Here you are just lying. You didn't do it for them, you did it for yourself and then felt bad about it (as you should have) and tried to justify yourself by deluding yourself into thinking you had a beneficial ulterior motive. It doesn't wash.

Look, you stole cigs from your parents because you wanted them. There's no other motive or justification beyond that. It's not like your the first kid to do so and you won't be the last. But trying to somehow convince yourself that you did them some favor by stealing from them only sets yourself up to continue to rationalize any bad deed you do from here on out.

The Sum of Awe

Then use the quote function like you did here. Otherwise it just looks as if you are responding to the thread as a whole. And either way, it is rather absurd to try to turn this into about asking others' moral outlook on something where you are avidly trying to justify your bad actions into something good.

Let's deal with this nugget. It ISN'T saving them a "bit of life" because they are still smokers and will simply replace what you took. the amount of cigs they smoke will NOT be changed, the cost will. It DOES harm someone as you are now making them spend money they otherwise wouldn't have which takes away from money being spent or saved elsewhere...and for what? Your feeling of entitlement? So as you see, there is definitely a negative, and other than gratifying your addiction through spurious means...there is no positive.

Here you are just lying. You didn't do it for them, you did it for yourself and then felt bad about it (as you should have) and tried to justify yourself by deluding yourself into thinking you had a beneficial ulterior motive. It doesn't wash.

Look, you stole cigs from your parents because you wanted them. There's no other motive or justification beyond that. It's not like your the first kid to do so and you won't be the last. But trying to somehow convince yourself that you did them some favor by stealing from them only sets yourself up to continue to rationalize any bad deed you do from here on out.

Is it wrong to do something bad and it turns out it was for a good cause?

The Sum of Awe

Let's deal with this nugget. It ISN'T saving them a "bit of life" because they are still smokers and will simply replace what you took. the amount of cigs they smoke will NOT be changed, the cost will. It DOES harm someone as you are now making them spend money they otherwise wouldn't have which takes away from money being spent or saved elsewhere...and for what? Your feeling of entitlement? So as you see, there is definitely a negative, and other than gratifying your addiction through spurious means...there is no positive..

Okay I will agree they can just buy some more and will... Guess there isn't a positive side to it.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I stole 2 packs of cigerrettes that holds 20 in them from my parents... First I was just like "oh well" later I felt bad for stealing them then now I realized: "Well, it's saving their lungs by 2 packs"

And as you may know I live by a philosophy of "Have fun doing what kills you fast instead of living years without a blast", so I don't generally care for my health and I'm getting something out of it.

So my parents are healthier (even though by just about 1%) and I'm getting a reward because of it. I will continue this, I love my parents and I get a reward for saving them...

How old are you? Like, twelve?

Seriously, if you're going to steal something, steal something cool...like a car. :D

I say, buy your own smokes and leave your parents' alone.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Is it wrong to do something bad and it turns out it was for a good cause?

i know you were asking draka this question but may i say something?

it is wrong to intentionally do something bad...
we have to first define wrong and bad.

is it wrong to kill? not necessarily, if it depended on survival i would say no
however if i intentionally killed someone for any other reason, i would say yes.

look at it this way, it is something bad for a reason...
because it goes against your standards...your meaning in the general sense

Draka

Wonder Woman
How old are you? Like, twelve?

Seriously, if you're going to steal something, steal something cool...like a car. :D

I say, buy your own smokes and leave your parents' alone.

He's 15. And perhaps we'd best not encourage him :p Else he might steal the car for someone's "own good". :rolleyes: