• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is War EVER justified?

kadzbiz

The only two instances I can think of for engaging in open conflict is to either defend your homeland and your people or for defending those who are incapable of defending themselves.

Defending your homeland I agree with, but I hate it when the boundary of that homeland begins to include countries on the opposite side of the world.

A country will only come to the aid and defend another "weaker" country if it benefits them in some way, otherwise what business is it of theirs to interfere with an invasion?

doppelgänger;865890 said:
It is always justified.

You mean their "belief" is justified, to them.

kadzbiz

What occasion is taking a human life justified? :eek:

Becky, you probably want to elaborate on that statement, but just to reply to it the way it is, I would say there are several occasions. Self defence, protecting someone else's life, capital punishment of a recalcitrant rapist or murderer.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I wouldn't say war is justified, but the act of defence is.

I can declare without any reservations all of the wars we're currently engaged in [Drugs, Iraq, Terrorism, Afghanistan] aren't. ;)

Zephyr

Moved on
A war in self-defense is always justified. As for being the aggressor, I'm not so sure. On one hand, I don't like it, but the Civilization player in me says that if taking resources will get your people out of a major pickle, it just may be worth it.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Justification is a necessary part of making war. There has never been and never will be a war that wasn't justified (literally, "made just" through the use of words or ideas) by those who waged it on any side.

There is no "objectively" just war. There is only the subjective belief of individuals that acts of extreme violence are "just," and the aggregate effect of the will of those individuals, which taken together may manifest itself in large scale violence in the spaces between people.

If someone thinks a war is "just," then to them it IS justified. Judgments must be considered in context of perspective for them to have any meaning.

This is how war is always justified. Every war can be turned into a war in self defense. Give me an act of large scale violence and I'll show you someone thinking they are threatened.

CRB

Well, is it?

If you mean, "Is there such a thing as a just war?" then I'd also have to say "sometimes" like others.

Just reasons:
1. To protect yourself when attacked.
2. To protect your allies when attacked.
Of course, there are probably more just reasons.

A good follow-up question would be: "Is a pre-emptive attack ever justified?"
To that I would have to say "Yes", if an attack from the other party, on yourself or your ally, is impending.
And this case also there are also probably more just reasons.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
All one has to do is convince one's self that an attack is impending and the war is justified. Then the other side's war in response is justified because you've attacked them.

It's a never-ending cycle. Every war is a "defensive" war on all sides. By such simple means, every war is "justified."