• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your power infinite like God´s? if not, how is infinite hell fair?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I have a question for all of you that believe hell is infinite torment and that it is perfectly just punishment to our acts:

When you stole that chocolate bar at the candy store, lied to your friends/mom/partner , when you had sex before marriage, when you were an *** to those who loved you,... was your evil infinite?

If it was not infinite as God, how can you say an infinite punishment is a "just" punishment? How is the punishment fitting the crime at all?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Beats me. Then again, I do not believe in any form of Hell that is not the creation of the individual.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
People who believe in infinite hell also believe that the human race is vile and that all people deserve hell. They also believe that Jesus paid for this. This may have been started by John Calvin. Jews don't believe in a fiery hell, I believe, so why should I?
What is called "hell" is actually the grave- in most instances and symbolic in others, so I believe. I don't believe in any eternal hell.

Kerr

I have a question for all of you that believe hell is infinite torment and that it is perfectly just punishment to our acts:

When you stole that chocolate bar at the candy store, lied to your friends/mom/partner , when you had sex before marriage, when you were an *** to those who loved you,... was your evil infinite?

If it was not infinite as God, how can you say an infinite punishment is a "just" punishment? How is the punishment fitting the crime at all?
Playing the devils advocate here. When you commit crimes no matter how much you try you cannot reach an infinate evil. But it tells something about you. That if you would not die, you would continue to commit evil. Forever. Which would make it infinate. So eternal punishment is an appropriate punishment.

I read that argument, or an argument like it, once. Not sure if I actually remembered correctly or not. Personally, I think its ********, because you cant punish someone for what they have not done. Possibly also because I dont think sadistic punishment, even if it is in a limited timespan, is appropriate.

Twig pentagram

High Priest

It dosen't.

rusra02

Premium Member

A parent who would punish a child's misdemeanor by holding the child's hand on a hot stove would be arrested for child abuse. God is more just than we are. He has never tortured anyone. The hellfire doctrine is both a lie and God dishonoring. Adam was told he would die for disobeying God. That is the punishment for unrepentant sin, not eternal torment. (Romans 6:23) Still, infinite death, while a just punishment for the wicked, is not a desirable outcome for anyone.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I think we create our own hell through our attachment to things. Desire, passion to possess stuff. When we lose material things or someone we love, the pain at the time can seem infinite, unbearable. Things are temporary, life is temporary. Attachment to what is temporary is the only hellish thing I can imagine.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A parent who would punish a child's misdemeanor by holding the child's hand on a hot stove would be arrested for child abuse. God is more just than we are. He has never tortured anyone. The hellfire doctrine is both a lie and God dishonoring. Adam was told he would die for disobeying God. That is the punishment for unrepentant sin, not eternal torment. (Romans 6:23) Still, infinite death, while a just punishment for the wicked, is not a desirable outcome for anyone.

Our desires can create "eternal" torment. Kind of up to us how long we choose to hold on to them. I see it as God encourages us to let go of these but we be plenty stubborn about it.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think we create our own hell through our attachment to things. Desire, passion to possess stuff. When we lose material things or someone we love, the pain at the time can seem infinite, unbearable. Things are temporary, life is temporary. Attachment to what is temporary is the only hellish thing I can imagine.

I second this post.

Anyway, this question can be forever debated because the answers are based on subjective personal opinions.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Judging from no one believing in eternal damnation has replied I must ask to them:

Is it that eternal hell is real but unfair?

or

Is it that eternal hell is fair and our actions are indeed infinite like those of God´s?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I believe hell is reserved for thous who are actually evil. Immature stealing is one thing, and repentence is good. But I am sure Wayne Gacy and Stalin are both chilling in the frozen wasteland of Hell.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I believe hell is reserved for thous who are actually evil. Immature stealing is one thing, and repentence is good. But I am sure Wayne Gacy and Stalin are both chilling in the frozen wasteland of Hell.

(you didn´t respond a single of all the questions I made :ninja: )

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
(you didn´t respond a single of all the questions I made :ninja: )
Im sorry Mr. Ninja. Please keep thous throw knives to yourself :(

Judging from no one believing in eternal damnation has replied I must ask to them:

Is it that eternal hell is real but unfair?

or

Is it that eternal hell is fair and our actions are indeed infinite like those of God´s?

I do not think Eternal Hell is unfair. Yet I believe its for thous who rejected God and committed evil.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
So, given that eternal hell is not unfair, you would say that the evil of the people that are in there are infinite, the same way the punishment is?

Well Gacy, one of the examples I gave, murdered atleast 33 teenage boys after assulting and raping them. Would you say he should only sit in hell for a little sentence and then be allowed into Heaven?

If there is heaven and hell, I would say no. Why would I, who killed no one, receive the same as that guy?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Well Gacy, one of the examples I gave, murdered atleast 33 teenage boys after assulting and raping them. Would you say he should only sit in hell for a little sentence

Should ANY AMOUNT OF TIME short of an infinite would be considered a "little" sentence? So if I say hypotheticaly, let them "sit" in hell for 100 years, having a torture much worse than the damage they caused in Earth (given that hell is suppposed to be... well, unberable), worse than the children and the parents joined together (The didn´t literaly suffered an infinity, as much as they suffered. To the least, they suffered until they go to heaven to reunite with their kids that are already joyful there)

So I agree, they should be punished severely. But their damage was FINITE. So the punishment cannot be fair if it is IN-FINITE.

If there is heaven and hell, I would say no. Why would I, who killed no one, receive the same as that guy?

You shouldn´t at all. Instead of "sitting" 100 years in hell before going to hell, you go directly ;)

Are 100 years in hell as little a thing to be taken lightly as "no" difference? or should we expand it to a "okay, it is a "little" different" ?

Tiberius

Infinite hell as a punishment is nothing more than an appeal to fear. "Oh, you don't want to spend eternity being tortured, do you? Better believe then!"

They use the same technique to advertise face creams.

"You don't want to have wrinkles, do you? Better use our goop!"

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Infinite hell as a punishment is nothing more than an appeal to fear. "Oh, you don't want to spend eternity being tortured, do you? Better believe then!"

They use the same technique to advertise face creams.

"You don't want to have wrinkles, do you? Better use our goop!"

Whatever works. Who'd want to be stuck in the midst of a bunch of wrinkly faced people?:sarcastic

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Eternity always seemed like such overkill to me in marketing hell. Most people have a hard time imagining six months from now.

rusra02

Premium Member
Our desires can create "eternal" torment. Kind of up to us how long we choose to hold on to them. I see it as God encourages us to let go of these but we be plenty stubborn about it.

Desire, in itself, is not necessarily wrong. In fact, God promises to satisfy "the desire of every living thing." (Psalm 145:16) Wrong desires can cause suffering and tragedy, so must be rooted out of our life. (1 John 2:15-17)