• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isha Institute of Inner-Sciences

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I finally took my long-overdue break from work this week and rented a cabin in Tennessee. I intentionally located one near the Isha Institute of Inner-Sciences because I've been curious for quite some time and wanted to visit and perhaps practice yoga during my visit.

I stopped by Isha this morning before I checked into the cabin and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist. I was directed to enter my information on an iPad, which I was fine with doing, but my first flag was having to sign a couple of medical waivers. I found it a bit of an odd request, because I don't recall ever having to sign a waiver to enter a temple or a church. The last time I had to sign waivers was when I went canoeing and when I jumped out of a plane. But I kind of get why, so I signed anyway.

I was directed to a room below The Abode and was seated on the floor (they had nice meditation mats arranged on the floor) to watch a video (which was more of a PowerPoint) about The Abode, the Lingam, how to make an offering, and the rules for entering.

After the video, I asked if it would be better for me to come back later in the week, because a wedding was wrapping up out front. The room was nice; there was the same image of Shiva in the rear as the one I've seen in the Mahashivaratri live feed broadcast by Sadhguru. There was also audio of Sadhguru chanting a mantra I recognized from the Mahashivaratri live stream. I sat down to meditate, but unfortunately only lasted around 10 minutes because the body doesn't do well sitting crosslegged on the floor.

I left immediately after. I'd consider returning this week, but I really can't do floors for an extended period of time, and the lack of comfort makes it difficult to meditate. I may stop by on the way home and buy a Rudra garland, but I don't see myself doing much beyond this.

Do any of you have any experiences with Sadhguru or his centers?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I finally took my long-overdue break from work this week and rented a cabin in Tennessee. I intentionally located one near the Isha Institute of Inner-Sciences because I've been curious for quite some time and wanted to visit and perhaps practice yoga during my visit.

I stopped by Isha this morning before I checked into the cabin and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist. I was directed to enter my information on an iPad, which I was fine with doing, but my first flag was having to sign a couple of medical waivers. I found it a bit of an odd request, because I don't recall ever having to sign a waiver to enter a temple or a church. The last time I had to sign waivers was when I went canoeing and when I jumped out of a plane. But I kind of get why, so I signed anyway.

I was directed to a room below The Abode and was seated on the floor (they had nice meditation mats arranged on the floor) to watch a video (which was more of a PowerPoint) about The Abode, the Lingam, how to make an offering, and the rules for entering.

After the video, I asked if it would be better for me to come back later in the week, because a wedding was wrapping up out front. The room was nice; there was the same image of Shiva in the rear as the one I've seen in the Mahashivaratri live feed broadcast by Sadhguru. There was also audio of Sadhguru chanting a mantra I recognized from the Mahashivaratri live stream. I sat down to meditate, but unfortunately only lasted around 10 minutes because the body doesn't do well sitting crosslegged on the floor.

I left immediately after. I'd consider returning this week, but I really can't do floors for an extended period of time, and the lack of comfort makes it difficult to meditate. I may stop by on the way home and buy a Rudra garland, but I don't see myself doing much beyond this.

I have no experience other than dialoguing on other forums. I'm glad you're going for the personal experience rather than listening to what others have to say.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I finally took my long-overdue break from work this week and rented a cabin in Tennessee. I sat down to meditate, but unfortunately only lasted around 10 minutes because the body doesn't do well sitting crosslegged on the floor.

Greetings, Salix. Congrats for cabin living.
Who asked you to sit corss-legged, oh, the etiquette of the place. But as you know, one can meditate even while doing 'shirshasana'. Perhaps you can sit under a tree or a bench in the institution's park and meditate there.

No, I do not have any experience with Sadhguru or his centers. But what I presume is that he is more of a showman (and successful at that). But that is a disqualification for me - trying to sell himself. As for any spiritual insight, he cannot have any for me, because I have already found my answers.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Greetings, Salix. Congrats for cabin living.
Who asked you to sit corss-legged, oh, the etiquette of the place. But as you know, one can meditate even while doing 'shirshasana'. Perhaps you can sit under a tree or a bench in the institution's park and meditate there.
They did have cushions with back rests, but I didn't want to seem presumptuous and grab one.

As far as standing on my head, you're right. I thought that might breach etiquette.

That aside, I can meditate anywhere. I don't need to do so in place a guru deems consecrated. For me, anyplace I choose to meditate is consecrated.

I suppose the reason I left was to not put anyone out or interrupt their practice.

No, I do not have any experience with Sadhguru or his centers. But what I presume is that he is more of a showman (and successful at that). But that is a disqualification for me - trying to sell himself. As for any spiritual insight, he cannot have any for me, because I have already found my answers.
Despite whether or not he profits from his work (I read somewhere that he doesn't own any personal assets, and the Rolex he sports was a gift), I think his intent is benevolent, and if wasn't helping people, he wouldn't have the following he does.

I'm not looking to Sadhguru for spiritual insights. For me, he's a person of interest who appears to have done some good for people and the world and I wanted to visit to learn more about his centers and meet some of the people who follow him.

In retrospect, I probably could have done it on a day my body wasn't going through caffeine withdrawal. I may go back on Thursday when my body has moved past the peak of withdrawal.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Now that my body is past the caffeine withdrawal and feeling relatively normal again, I think I'll head back out to the center after breakfast tomorrow. They have a pooja at 11:50a. I haven't attended one in a few years, so I may attend and have lunch there after. Depending on how the day goes, I may even stick around and attend the evening Arati.

ajay0

The padmasana or lotus position can be difficult in the beginning but with practice can become easier to be in.

Like any yogic posture, the padmasana is said to effect calmness of mind and clarity naturally,

Yes, one can meditate sitting on chairs and backrests as well if it is comfortable, and yoga masters have used such tools too.

With respect to Sadhguru , his teachings and example are a tremendous source of education for myself, helped clarify my doubts, and he has definitely played a part in the propagation of eastern wisdom throughout the world.

His talks are also very insightful in terms of material aspects as well, and his talks on business, administration, politics, science, technology, history, economics, conservation of ecology, ayurveda, wildlife , health have been well-received.

Recently he has given a talk on the plight of Kashmiri Hindu refugees who are a persecuted minority in Kashmir, criticized those who were indifferent to their plight, and has given insightful steps for their rehabilitation and rejuvenation of Kashmiri culture, and offered the resources of Isha foundation for this purpose.

While having a certain amount of expertise and knowledge of ayurveda and herbal medicine, he has also shown interest in similar medical systems throughout the world, and had shed light on them through his talks and discussions.

In short, I would say that he is an ideal Rajarshi, one who has the wisdom and tranquility of a Rishi or sage as well as the dynamism of a Raja or king.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The padmasana or lotus position can be difficult in the beginning but with practice can become easier to be in.

Like any yogic posture, the padmasana is said to effect calmness of mind and clarity naturally,
Padmasana? Heck, I struggle with siddhasana.

The biggest problem I have is arthritis in my knee and hips. I typically have my hips elevated 12"-18" off the floor and sit with my hips open and my right leg crossed in front of my left. This has worked well for me for years. I could probably do better pain-wise if I continued to sit on a cushion, as I really haven't done so for years, but there was a reason I started elevating my hips to begin with, so going back to sitting in discomfort on a cushion on a floor probably isn't the more conducive to quality meditation.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I did end up going back there this morning. Upon arrival, after checking in at the welcome center, I went to the Abode to meditate. I used a cushion with a back support and still couldn't get comfortable without being in pain. Turns out they have chairs in the back of the Abode for those who can't sit on the floor. After asking the attendant if it would be okay if I sat in one instead of the floor, she said it was perfectly fine. So I sat and went into a meditative state for over an hour.

After that I walked the grounds. Tons of construction happening, so the trails were closed, which was a bit disappointing. I'd probably still be there instead if sitting in the cabin typing this if they were. But I ended up walking a cinder trail that was adjacent to the road into the center, which was about 3/4 of a mile each way. I then went to a building and enjoyed a vegetarian lunch served by a very friendly lad who I'm guessing was a monk.

Since the Mahima was closed for a 4 day event, and there didn't appear to be much else to do, I stopped by the welcome center, looked through the Isha Life Shoppe (intended to pick up a rudra mala but decided against it), paid for my lunch, and left the center.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Carry on. No meditation unless you are comfortable.
Ah, Shiva has ear-rings and is wearing a gold chain! What all we make our Gods and Goddesses do!

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
And in the gift shop, you can buy a 1ft effigy like the one above for a mere $1800 (₹147,593). Or online you can buy a 2.5ft one for $10,000 (₹819,962). In all fairness, you can get a 4in one for $27 (₹2,213).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
A 12 inches plaster cast will probably cost me less that USD 5. I will be satisfied with that. Indians are generally very cost conscious.

2b52b6917598819e1063c86a6091af18.jpg