• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamic teachings

neves

I think it is wise to let the more learned person answer questions when it comes to deen… for if what we say is wrong it can create some unwanted confusion… I think this Question and Answer does a pretty good job of addressing the core of the issue…

Question:

“Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum. I would like to know how much money I should pay in expiation for the abortion of fetus less than 120 days old. The reason for the abortion was that the pregnancy was causing tremendous psychological pressure on the mother, who is a medical student and who felt that she would never be able to cope with her studies while bringing up a child. The abortion was done because we felt that this was sufficient justification. However, the mother now feels great regret, particularly since she has learned that Islamic Shari`ah forbids abortion even at the very early stages of pregnancy. Jazakum Allah khayran.”

Part Answer:

“Indeed, abortion is forbidden in Islam whether it be in the earlier stages of pregnancy or otherwise. The extent of sin incurred varies according to the stage of pregnancy, so that less sin would be incurred if the abortion took place during the early stages, while it becomes increasingly haram (unlawful) as the pregnancy advances. When the pregnancy reaches 120 days old, abortion becomes totally forbidden and is deemed a form of murder that results in compensation becoming liable. This compensation is equal in value to 213 grams of gold, and it is given to the heir who did not participate in the abortion (i.e., brother/sister or grandparent(s), etc., according to the laws of inheritance).

However, the only condition under which abortion is allowed is when there is an actual threat to the life of the mother confirmed by an official medical report that if the pregnancy advances any further, the mother may die.

Given the above, since the abortion was done in the case in hand before the fetus was 120 days old, then no compensation is liable. However, it remains a sin, which one should ask forgiveness for and promise never to commit again. If the mother wishes to give in charity besides all this, then that is even better. Allah Almighty says in the Qur'an: (Verily, the good deeds omit the bad deeds… ) (Yunus 10: 114)
”

Abortion: Forbidden in All Stages? - IslamonLine.net - Ask The Scholar