• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isn’t Islam an idol worshiping religion?

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Islam says Allah is outside us. That which is outside us is an object. Thus a call to worship Allah is a call to worship an object. Idol worship is worship of objects.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Islam says Allah is outside us. That which is outside us is an object. Thus a call to worship Allah is a call to worship an object. Idol worship is worship of objects.

Peace be on you.

[42:12]...........There is nothing whatever like unto Him..........

[50:17] And assuredly, We have created man and We know what his physical self whispers to him, and We are nearer to him than even his jugular vein.

[24:36] Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The similitude of His light is as a lustrous niche, wherein is a lamp. The lamp is in a glass. The glass is as it were a glittering star. It is lit from a blessed tree — an olive — neither of the east nor of the west, whose oil would well-nigh glow forth even though fire touched it not. Light upon light! Allah guides to His light whomsoever He will. And Allah sets forth parables to men, and Allah knows all things full well.

[6:104]
Eyes cannot reach Him but He reaches the eyes. And He is the Incomprehensible, the All-Aware.

[16:75]
So coin not similitudes for Allah. Surely, Allah knows and you know not.

[57:4]
He is the First and the Last, and the Manifest and the Hidden, and He knows all things full well.

Ref: alislam.org/quran

So, obviosly your result is incorrect.

Good wishes.

Last edited:

Harikrish

All religions are in essence idolatry. Worshipping an image of God created by a few delusional self proclaimed prophets is idolatry. What effect would our behaviour have on God that he has to intervene to force conformity? Some of the behaviour condemned as sin are rather enjoyable and not as harmful as once declared. And then there are natural disasters that serve no divine purpose or offer any justification.
When will we be free of our own idolatry? Not until we free ourselves from the ignorance that makes humans accountable to religion created to repress humankind.

Harikrish

I wouldn't call it idolatry, just perhaps limited understanding. Some Muslims do believe God is within, Sufis.

Try to imagine God the creator of the universe and all things in existence would ask man to cut his foreskin as an offering and a sign of obedience to the covenant made with Abraham.

If God found the foreskin offensive he could have created man without it. It is just one of the many ridiculous ways man has portrayed and trivialized God.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Try to imagine God the creator of the universe and all things in existence would ask man to cut his foreskin as an offering and a sign of obedience to the covenant made with Abraham.

If God found the foreskin offensive he could have created man without it. It is just one of the many ridiculous ways man has portrayed and trivialized God.

I agree with this in large, however to the pure all things are pure. That is to say, the contemplative can take any activity or practice and turn it into a focus for God.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Definitions whether from practitioners or outsiders should be logical to be acceptable - should it not?

No. Outsiders judge my religion with illogic all the time, from my point of view. But from their point of view, it's totally logical. So I don't have a double standard. If I don't really like others judging me, that I won't judge them. If a Muslim says it's not idol worship, then that's good enough for me.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The very term "idol worship" is a judgmental projection about other theistic practices projected by outsiders. I would like us to erase it from our vocabulary.

Flankerl

You know the Kaaba and especially the meteorite has more to do with idol worship than what you are writing about.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
You know the Kaaba and especially the meteorite has more to do with idol worship than what you are writing about.

They don't worship the black rock, but of course, I'm not sure if Judaism still sees it as idolatrous. Its no more idolatrous than Christians kneeling before a cross, and they actually do worship a man.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
No. Outsiders judge my religion with illogic all the time, from my point of view. But from their point of view, it's totally logical. So I don't have a double standard. If I don't really like others judging me, that I won't judge them. If a Muslim says it's not idol worship, then that's good enough for me.
Is there a point of view about logic? What is logical is logical unless it is proved illogical.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer

Peace be on you.

[42:12]...........There is nothing whatever like unto Him..........

[50:17] And assuredly, We have created man and We know what his physical self whispers to him, and We are nearer to him than even his jugular vein.

[24:36] Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The similitude of His light is as a lustrous niche, wherein is a lamp. The lamp is in a glass. The glass is as it were a glittering star. It is lit from a blessed tree — an olive — neither of the east nor of the west, whose oil would well-nigh glow forth even though fire touched it not. Light upon light! Allah guides to His light whomsoever He will. And Allah sets forth parables to men, and Allah knows all things full well.

[6:104]
Eyes cannot reach Him but He reaches the eyes. And He is the Incomprehensible, the All-Aware.

[16:75]
So coin not similitudes for Allah. Surely, Allah knows and you know not.

[57:4]
He is the First and the Last, and the Manifest and the Hidden, and He knows all things full well.

Ref: alislam.org/quran

So, obviosly your result is incorrect.

Good wishes.
How do your quotations disprove my contention that worshiping Allah is tantamount to idol worship?

outhouse

Atheistically
The very term "idol worship" is a judgmental projection about other theistic practices projected by outsiders. .

While that may be your perception, I don't see it that way.

To me it is another fact of life.

The Vatican did a study, I think jesus was #6 on a list of who people prayed too.

I would like us to erase it from our vocabulary

To me that is hiding from reality of the problem you perceive.

How about education? addressing it in context as difference changes from one person to the next.

Harikrish

Hinduism is only second to Islamism in creating high adult illiteracy. India has the largest adult illiteracy totalling 287 million adults who are illiterate in India.
And just like 800 million illiterate Muslims cannot read the Quran. Most Hindus cannot read their holy scriptures or even bother to read it.

Even among the educated Hindus, most do not practice meditation or apply their religious beliefs in their lives.