• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isn't it terrible that humans don't even know why they exist but yet we push on anyway

Massimo2002

So much mystery in the world but yet humanity marches on despite not knowing even the most important things such as why we or anything exists.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
So much mystery in the world but yet humanity marches on despite not knowing even the most important things such as why we or anything exists.

Kind of. But also not. It's beautiful in a way. They don't know, and they carry on anyway. Their simple pleasures must be ... profound. That, in itself, is one of the greatest mysteries of all.

- Paraphrased from the teachings of the Baal Shem Tov. Jewish mystic and healer.

" ... so much mystery in the world ... " <--- Yes!

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Does why matter?
It doesn't bother me to be ignorant of it.
There might even be no "why".

Do you appreciate simple pleasures? The things that are often referred to as "creature comforts?" Good food? Good friends? Clean bathrooms when on the road? Those things make a big difference, don't they? They're simple, but not always easy? They seem small? But they're not?

That ^^ to me? That's a "big-little" mystery. How can these little things bring so much to our lives?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you appreciate simple pleasures?
Yes.
The things that are often referred to as "creature comforts?" Good food? Good friends? Clean bathrooms when on the road? Those things make a big difference, don't they? They're simple, but not always easy? The seem small? But they're not?
Unsure how to answer those questions.
That ^^ to me? That's a "big-little" mystery.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Seems a bit of an assumption to think there is a "why" to begin with.

You're missing the point. The actual "why" is implied. It's not included in the statement you quoted. Maybe read the thread title and include it in your thinking on this?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You're missing the point. The actual "why" is implied. It's not included in the statement you quoted. Maybe read the thread title and include it in your thinking on this?
Interesting claim.

of course, I quoted this:

So much mystery in the world but yet humanity marches on despite not knowing even the most important things such as why we or anything exists.​

So maybe it is YOU who needs pay better attention?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
So maybe it is YOU who needs pay better attention?

I referred you to the thread title. The actual 'why' is not included in the post you quoted. The thread title goes with post #1.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I don't honestly find a "why" all that important.

The most important thing is what we do while we're here.

"Why?" Just like all unanswered questions is an opportunity to take a journey into the unknown.

"Why?" Is unique among the other unanswered questions because of its magnificent scope. There's a lot of opportunity there. The path is wide and long with many branchings to explore.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Perhaps you could imagine yourself living progressively back in older and older times and see how the questions we constantly ask now would not have been asked at some point - especially before we invented symbolic language. Would any non-human animal ask itself why it existed? All this without any particular religious explanation to confuse the issue and relying on science as a reasonable recorder of our travels in time.

For example, we wouldn't know that the sun was the same one arising each morning perhaps, or that that the Earth we all lived upon was a round ball and the twinkling lights at night were much like the sun. Or that we had some destiny to essentially rule over this planet. Such that the questions we ask might correspond with the amount of knowledge we began to accumulate.

Now, even though we know so much more than any that lived, we have expanded our knowledge of the universe so much such that questions arise that perhaps just cannot be answered yet, if ever. That is, if you discount religious answers.

Last edited: