• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isn't it terrible that humans don't even know why they exist but yet we push on anyway

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is that important though?
It's not complicated - humans experience NOW. Right NOW. Not then. Part of why I couldn't care less where something "came from" is that I will never be wherever things "came from." I exist NOW. I exist HERE. The only value pontificating where things "came from" has is in the meaning it has for NOW. Because I, as a human, can only dwell HERE and NOW.

That said, if you're a practicing mystic, that does throw a wrench in this presentation. Time and space can get a little more wibbly and wobbly than is experienced in the day-to-day. But that's probably beyond the scope of what this thread should dive into.

RestlessSoul

It's not complicated - humans experience NOW. Right NOW. Not then. Part of why I couldn't care less where something "came from" is that I will never be wherever things "came from." I exist NOW. I exist HERE. The only value pontificating where things "came from" has is in the meaning it has for NOW. Because I, as a human, can only dwell HERE and NOW.

That said, if you're a practicing mystic, that does throw a wrench in this presentation. Time and space can get a little more wibbly and wobbly than is experienced in the day-to-day. But that's probably beyond the scope of what this thread should dive into.

Seems to me that to talk about Here and Now is to invite a deep dive into metaphysics (and physics). And philosophy, and religion; time and space appear to be both fundamental and mercurial aspects of our experience.

‘Explain time? Not without explaining existence. Explain existence? Not without explaining time.’

- John Wheeler

Alien826

No religious beliefs
That may sound like a big deal, but it actually isn't.

The expectation of some sort of "reason for being" can be harmful, and often is.

I ask myself, if the answer to this particular "why" were known what significant difference would it make to my life? "None at all" I reply.

Now if if I could know why my legs ache a lot of the time, and more importantly what can be done to stop it, that would be a very useful answer. Doctors don't seem to know.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So much mystery in the world but yet humanity marches on despite not knowing even the most important things such as why we or anything exists.

The universe is a big place that has been around for a long while, most things that can develop will develop. That works for me.

InChrist

Free4ever
So much mystery in the world but yet humanity marches on despite not knowing even the most important things such as why we or anything exists.
I think we push on because we are created in the image of God and have an innate desire for life and I believe the biblical scripture provide answers concerning important matters.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Anyone can find good reasons, bad reasons, or no reason at all. I think there are reasons for being here in the universe. We are existence trying to know itself through the manifested universe. I also go for the quote, ' the unexamined life is not worth living '.

At the endless bottom of the well there is a truth, buried in endless facts, and unknowns. The fact that humans exist makes it self evident there are great purposes to existence on top of the purposes we make for ourselves. It's a journey without a guidebook. We've won the cosmic lottery to even be alive. There's no guarantees of tomorrow nor today and there never was.

Life doesn't come from non life, life is eternal. The universe is a fading flower. I've always minded that inner truth was more important than outside facts of reality; obviously both are crucial.

We Never Know

No Slack

"Isn't it terrible that humans don't even know why they exist but yet we push on anyway"

Its called survival. No species knows why it exists but they all push on anyway.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ambiguous.
By "why" do you mean mechanism, or purpose?
The physical and chemical and embryologic mechanisms that brought us into the world aren't any great mystery. The question of why anything exists is a question for theoretical physics, and doesn't greatly affect our everyday lives

As for existential purpose, who's to say there is any purpose or intent, and why would it matter?

We're here. We enjoy. We're happy, and if we feel a need for some purpose we can create our own.

The fact that anything exists at all is miraculous.
Miraculous as in inexplicable or in violation of the laws of nature? I wouldn't go that far.
Maybe astonishing or remarkable?

"Terrible?" Why terrible? I'm not terrified; I'm not even worried.

Last edited: