• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel contemplating drafting ultra Orthodox

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If they are full time torah students, they are exempt, or at least, used to be exempt.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
it's kind of like an exemption for joining the peace corps. ( Is that a thing )?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
If they are full time torah students, they are exempt, or at least, used to be exempt.
Are they studying towards a qualification or are they just permanently in a state of perpetual study?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
For the whole of their lives?

yessir

I'll see if I can find you a little bit of background on this. There's a story about the great sage Abbaye... ( i think it was Abbaye )

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
yessir

I'll see if I can find you a little bit of background on this. There's a story about the great sage Abbaye...
What do they do will all that they've learnt?

Who supports them? They must have bills and expenses to cover?

14 hours a day of anything would be too much for me!

Edit: Except sleep and lazing about

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What do they do will all that they've learnt?

They are simultaneously teachers and students. It's not something that's easy to describe, you'd need to see it in action.

But, basically, they share their knowledge and ideas, and they role model.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
They are simultaneously teachers and students. It's not something that's easy to describe, you'd need to see it in action.

But, basically, they share their knowledge and ideas, and they role model.
I'd like to live my life studying and teaching things that interest me

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
it's vibrant! You know why we Jews say "L'chayim"? It because our learning and our practice is about vibrant vitality.

"To Life!, L'chayim"

I've never seen that film all the way through only little bits here and there

I think it deserves a full viewing

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So what? A deferment was not forever. It just meant that they would be drafted later. A person seeking a deferment would have to show that they were a student making real progress towards a goal. In other words you had four, maybe five years deferment tops as an undergrad. A person could go to grad school and hope for a few more years, but it was very hard to keep the deferment going indefinitely. Actually until one was 26. And now a deferment is for even a shorter period of time. A student can only have a deferment until the end of his current academic year.