• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel contemplating drafting ultra Orthodox

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Is it a little clearer now? There was an exemption for students. Was.

How does/did it compare with the rules (in Israel of course) that apply to other students (say in secular colleges)? Generally these kinds of discussions tend to revolve around perceived fairness.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
How does/did it compare with the rules (in Israel of course) that apply to other students (say in secular colleges)? Generally these kinds of discussions tend to revolve around perceived fairness.

Right. Secular academics did not exempt an individual from enlistment.

The difference is, the Torah scholar is actively working for the defense of Israel. A secular education is for the most part about directed towards individual interests and livelihood.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The difference is, the Torah scholar is actively working for the defense of Israel. A secular education is for the most part about directed towards individual interests and livelihood.
One can still do that and join the IDF.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Right. Secular academics did not exempt an individual from enlistment.

Tell us, how does a "Torah scholar" actively work for the defense of Israel?

Actually I support the drafting of those students since they are part of the group that appear to have the strongest views on how Israel is just for the Jews. That does not work in modern countries. They are a clear part of the problem and want to force others to fight for them. When they are forced to fight too they protest. That is extreme hypocrisy and also indicates that they are not "scholars".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Whatever, think what you want. I reassert my ambivalence.
I can see why others have dismissed you. But just in case you did not understand, the group that is advocating the strongest for the sort of genocide that Israel has been practicing should be the last people to be excused from the draft, not the first.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I can see why others have dismissed you. But just in case you did not understand, the group that is advocating the strongest for the sort of genocide that Israel has been practicing should be the last people to be excused from the draft, not the first.
I was going to discuss on another thread the reasoning behind the various conjectured birthdays and years of Jesus. But just watching your interactions with @dybmh here, even if I have questions of him-- yes -- you make the interchange intolerable. As you do other things along with some of your "friends". So so long to anything else I might want to discuss with you now. And/or certain others here...take care...Oh, before I go, I will also mention that you (and some of your compatriots here) have taught me a lot about what you believe and/or don't believe. So thank you and some others. It has been interesting.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I was going to discuss on another thread the reasoning behind the various conjectured birthdays and years of Jesus. But just watching your interactions with @dybmh here, even if I have questions of him-- yes -- you make the interchange intolerable. As you do other things along with some of your "friends". So so long to anything else I might want to discuss with you now. And/or certain others here...take care...Oh, before I go, I will also mention that you (and some of your compatriots here) have taught me a lot about what you believe and/or don't believe. So thank you and some others. It has been interesting.
How do I "make things intolerable". He made a claim that he never supported. He falsely claimed that he did and then when called out for it he tried snide insult. I was not in the wrong here at all. There is something very wrong with the way that you see things.

He just acted in a similar manner in another thread. He thought that he was being cute when he posted a response using what he thought were to arcane terms for me to understand. It did not slow me down a bit. I then showed that he was wrong in his first claim and he used a bogus excuse for his failure instead of simply admitting that he was wrong. And even then he apparently purposefully misinterpreted the section of scripture that he was confused about.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The question is why haven't they been drafted?
Because the Ultra-Orthodox are politically powerful. Powerful enough to pressure the Israeli government into giving them such concessions. The issue is that such double standards cause resentment among the wider public. Demanding others risk their lives while they [the Ultra-Orthodox] spend theirs in the perpetual study of religion is blatantly unfair.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Because the Ultra-Orthodox are politically powerful. Powerful enough to pressure the Israeli government into giving them such concessions. The issue is that such double standards cause resentment among the wider public. Demanding others risk their lives while they [the Ultra-Orthodox] spend theirs in the perpetual study of religion is blatantly unfair.
Kinda shows you the weight of politics on people and nations.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
often it's until they run out of money... then they need to find employment or some way to pay the tuition
The equivalent of ROTC. Assuming Israel has such a program college tuition paid in exchange for time serving as a military officer.