• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"It is not anti-Semitic to criticize the policies of the state of Israel."

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Niether is it anti-american to criticise American War policy, though the current administration would have you think otherwise.

I have always liked Colin, though I believe that he has decieved us when it suited him. He and McCain are the only two high profile Republicans that I trust most of the time.

As for the "Passion of Christ", I don't feel it was anti-semitic though I appreciate that there are some who do. I guess I need to see it again and look for what I might have missed the first time.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Jayhawker Soule said:
But it may be antisemitic to quote things out of context. It is, at the very least pathetically deceitful ...

"It is not anti-Semitic to criticize the policies of the state of Israel," he said. "But the line is crossed when Israel or its leaders are demonized or vilified, for example by the use of Nazi symbols and racist caricatures."
It doesn't appear to change the meaning of the statement.

Pah

Uber all member
I would say that the thread's purpose is antisemitic and decietfully quoting out of context, in this case, is doubly so.

Deut 13:1

Solve et Coagula said:
"It is not anti-Semitic to criticize the policies of the state of Israel."

Colin Powell
No, but it is anti-semitic when you use the words jew and zionist interchangable.

Deut 13:1

Popeyesays said:
You can usually see that line clearly when the individual says: "Its not anti-semitic to criticize Israel" and then preface all his criticism with the words "The Jews", or "Those Jews". I can't tell you how often I have seen that line crossed really hard moderating lists that discuss and criticize the holocaust denial zealots.

Regards,
Scott
Dead on, frubals for you. The problem is when they use them interchangably.

greatcalgarian

Deut 13:1 said:
Never seen it, nor do I have the urge.
If you like seeing people being tortured, this film portrayed the situation which can never be surpassed in future.....though I find it appealing to some one being tortured to convey a message, whatever the message is, is simply bad taste, and wrong morally

standing_on_one_foot

gnomon said:
It is neither anti-semitic to criticize the policies of Israel nor is it anti-semitic to criticize Judaism. Anti-semitism is sometimes used as a political "weapon" to paint someone as a racist when in fact no such racism exists.
Is anti-semitism rascism?

But yeah, I agree with this. To be anti-semitic you need to be doing more than a little reasonably rational criticism.

Flappycat

Many of the Jews I've known don't always agree with the Israeli government. Mostly, I want the Israelies and Palestinians to shut up because they're dragging the whole world into a petty and stupid territorial squabble that shouldn't exist. Just send in someone from South Africa. Those cats have fairly recent experience with this sort of crap and might be able to lend something to sorting the mess out.