• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've Joined the Coffee Party

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Panda - totally unrelated topic but somehow my mind keeps twisting off to it on this thread...

If you have a Facebook acct - did you know that you can change the language to English PIRATE? Go to settings and then language and then scroll down to English (Pirate).

It's freaking hilarious! Now your partner is called "Ye Olde Anchor" and your kids are called "Spawn" and everything on your page is in pirate talk.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Panda - totally unrelated topic but somehow my mind keeps twisting off to it on this thread...

If you have a Facebook acct - did you know that you can change the language to English PIRATE? Go to settings and then language and then scroll down to English (Pirate).

It's freaking hilarious! Now your partner is called "Ye Olde Anchor" and your kids are called "Spawn" and everything on your page is in pirate talk.

Pirate English on Facebook is awesome I had it for a few months end of last year. There is also upside down and Leet speak

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Probably - considering how incredibly uncool I am.
OK. The flowers are a reference to the hippy movement, not punk rock. "In '77 and '69, revolution was in the air." :)

Anyway, I'm going to another meeting today, as part of the national kick off. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. )(

:candle:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oh, thanks.

I thought it was more complicated than that. Of course I know about hippies with flowers in their hair - I grew up with all that and put a few flowers in my hair as well, even though I was only about 7 when Charles Manson and his bunch redefined the word "hippie."

Have fun at the meeting and let us know if any one particular party dominates. I am trying to find a group that is truly multi-partisan.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Oh, thanks.

I thought it was more complicated than that. Of course I know about hippies with flowers in their hair - I grew up with all that and put a few flowers in my hair as well, even though I was only about 7 when Charles Manson and his bunch redefined the word "hippie."
No problem :)

Have fun at the meeting and let us know if any one particular party dominates. I am trying to find a group that is truly multi-partisan.
Well, this is Portland, after all. I'd be rather surprised if many conservatives were there. The question in my mind is whether we can remember that our goal isn't a liberal agenda, but reconciliation and open communication.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by that, but the goal is for all affiliations to work together.

From Wikipedia, "[t]he goal of social democracy is to reform capitalism through parliamentary and democratic processes in order to achieve a welfare state, government regulation of the market, and various state sponsored programs to ameliorate and remove the inequities and injustices inflicted by the capitalist market system."

You can think of it as a steroid-induced version of Social Liberalism (which is more or less what Americans mean when they use the word "liberal"). On the surface, it is more or less just an very-left wing breed of liberalism.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
From Wikipedia, "[t]he goal of social democracy is to reform capitalism through parliamentary and democratic processes in order to achieve a welfare state, government regulation of the market, and various state sponsored programs to ameliorate and remove the inequities and injustices inflicted by the capitalist market system."

You can think of it as a steroid-induced version of Social Liberalism (which is more or less what Americans mean when they use the word "liberal"). On the surface, it is more or less just an very-left wing breed of liberalism.
Ah, thanks.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Indeed, but from where I sit, it's the people's fault. Not solely, but primarily.

We've disengaged, allowing corporations to fill the vacuum of power.
Started a spin-off thread where we can debate this: Is It Our Fault?

Thanks to everyone who bit their tongues and refrained from debating this. I know you're out there. :)