• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jack Thompson Blames Videogames for Virginia Tech Shooting.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Heavy Metal music has a similiar efffect on me as you describe with things blowing up in movies. I find that whenever I'm really angry, sad or stressed I just pop in a Metal cd and absorb the "energy' that comes out of it. It feels very soothing and calms my emotions.

Ah! I know what you mean. Though for the past few decades, I'm more likely to use Bach organ works, really loud, for the same purpose.

It must be the pedal tones. :D

Ah yes, music you can FEEL!

Booko

Deviled Hen
Ðanisty;798643 said:
Well, that's fine. I'm just wondering what God thinks of it. Does God think it's irresponsible to blame things like TV, books, movies, and video games for someone's sin? I'm curious honestly because I don't know. It seems like doing so would be like trying to reduce the sin or pretend it didn't happen.

I'm not sure it's just some Chrisitians who complain about that, Danisty. They complain about sexual content a lot, to be sure. But it was my impression the loudest complaints about violence also come from those on the left politically. (The ones libertarians always complain about when they're talking about the "nanny state") Do you get that impression also?

jimbob

The Celt
.......in response to Danisty. People sin, and anyone who blames something else for it is wrong. things may present an occasion of sin, but you can't blame a sin on anyone but the sinner.

and whaaat? (in response to the title of the thread)..........i'm soooo sick of people blaming everything bad that happens in the world on something or someone other then who is to blame. the shooter was a phsyco, a crazy person, blame him for what he did. video games didn't slap him in the face and say "go shoot people". the crazy voices in his head were enough.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Ðanisty;798643 said:
Well, that's fine. I'm just wondering what God thinks of it. Does God think it's irresponsible to blame things like TV, books, movies, and video games for someone's sin? I'm curious honestly because I don't know. It seems like doing so would be like trying to reduce the sin or pretend it didn't happen.

GOD doesn’t view it as sin, GOD views it as death. And even though GOD is fully aware of the aspects that led up to the event, I don’t believe that GOD judges or blames any specific catalyst.

UnityNow101

There is not even any evidence that this guy even played video games to begin with. I watched an interview with one of the shooter's suite-mates and he said that he never saw him playing video games, but frequently watching TV(wrestling and Spike TV game shows) and typing on his computer.

Bishka

Veteran Member
There is not even any evidence that this guy even played video games to begin with. I watched an interview with one of the shooter's suite-mates and he said that he never saw him playing video games, but frequently watching TV(wrestling and Spike TV game shows) and typing on his computer.

It's how the media first assumes things, doncha know? If some 'loner' killed people, he MUST have been playing video games. :sarcastic Hardly, I play video games (Call of Duty 1 & 2, Halo 1 & 2, Fable, LOTR, World of Warcraft, GuildWars and some others); does this mean I'm going to go out an shoot up my university? Oh, and did I mention; my husband and I are 'loners'; we really don't do much but play games and get on the 'internet'. I hate when people assume because you do those things you are violent.

Ðanisty

I'm not sure it's just some Chrisitians who complain about that, Danisty. They complain about sexual content a lot, to be sure. But it was my impression the loudest complaints about violence also come from those on the left politically. (The ones libertarians always complain about when they're talking about the "nanny state") Do you get that impression also?
Oh, I certainly don't think it's only Christians. I just wanted to see how Christians thought God felt about it.

cardero

Citizen Mod
.......in response to Danisty. People sin, and anyone who blames something else for it is wrong. things may present an occasion of sin, but you can't blame a sin on anyone but the sinner.

and whaaat? (in response to the title of the thread)..........i'm soooo sick of people blaming everything bad that happens in the world on something or someone other then who is to blame. the shooter was a phsyco, a crazy person, blame him for what he did. video games didn't slap him in the face and say "go shoot people". the crazy voices in his head were enough.
One of the reasons that people look for fault in things like music, video games is they cannot believe people are capable of committing these crimes without a reason or without pointing a finger of blame at someone (parents, GOD, Satan, school peers). People need a reason to settle their own discomfort, their own fears and by rallying with the popular theories and parroting the emotions of the public media they can only make vague speculation and unsolicited judgments. There is no denying who committed this act but since this person took their own life as well, the public is left cold without reason, without justice, without a sense of peace and security in a world that has never promised them any of these things.

cardero

Citizen Mod

If I remember correctly, they reported that they did conficate his computer and not only did he play many first person shooters but he had also downloaded the controversial independent video game Super Columbine High RPG, which was a video game that a group of gamers created to trivialize and simulate Eric and Dylan's role in the 1999 shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Columbine_Massacre_RPG%21

jimbob

The Celt
It's how the media first assumes things, doncha know? If some 'loner' killed people, he MUST have been playing video games. :sarcastic Hardly, I play video games (Call of Duty 1 & 2, Halo 1 & 2, Fable, LOTR, World of Warcraft, GuildWars and some others); does this mean I'm going to go out an shoot up my university?

shoot? perhaps not. but with that WoW account, i dunno, you might go a-chopping with your uber axe ;)

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Ah! I know what you mean. Though for the past few decades, I'm more likely to use Bach organ works, really loud, for the same purpose.

It must be the pedal tones. :D

Ah yes, music you can FEEL!
Ahh yes, Bach organ works.......Toccata and Fugue in D minor is my personal favorite. :) I also love anything with a harpsichord.

Usually I'll pop in Metallica: Ride The Lightning. For some reason it soothes the savage beast within me.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I find Carrie to be about potential destruction or evil that resides within a person. That destruction/evil is also brought to the forefront because of how people treat the person. In Carrie, she had the potential to destroy everything around her, but she was able to repress that until she was pushed over the edge by others.

I believe a lot of these "loners" are people like Carrie. They do what they do because of the bad hand dealt by a society that treats them inferior.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if you were refering to her being picked on, her whacked out mother or both.

I think you have a great point about treatment from society. I was bullied in junior high. It didn't stop at school. They would follow me home and torment me on the way. Some of these kids lived in my apartment building, so they would bully when I'd play outside at home.

When things started to get physical, my Dad warned the school and their parents that if this didn't stop, that he was going to teach me to fight back. I ended up using physical force to defend myself but it only made things worse. Eventually I was forced to switch schools because I was getting in fights everyday.

I can't tell you how much negativity I habored for these people. I had an intense hatred for them. If I didn't have great parents, I don't know what I kind of person I'd be.

It goes to show how crucial a role parents play in their childrens lives.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
You *knew* it was gonna happen someone would say this at some time.

I wonder if Keith Olberman's "Worst Person in the World" segment from last night has made it on to YouTube?

There were some really appalling contenders. NO decent person would have found any of those statements funny.

If you have raw nerves over the VT shooting just now, I would NOT recommend you go listen to what any of those people said. and for that reason, I'm not even gonna repeat it here.

Was it this segment?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Maybe I'll go play Burnout Revenge some more. And when everyone hears of a guy in Indiana who went on an ultimate road rage rampage, at least people at RF will know what happened, and why.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Maybe I'll go play Burnout Revenge some more. And when everyone hears of a guy in Indiana who went on an ultimate road rage rampage, at least people at RF will know what happened, and why.

That game rocks.....I wish I had my TV and computer in the same room; is that bad? :p

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
I can see how games could be blamed in a small way, there are many violent games where you can kill people in numerous sometimes sick ways and there are no consequences.
There are also scientific links between violent games and aggresion.

I'm not saying that games are to blame but you can't deny that some make you agressive and that some games and media make you immune to violence and make you perceive it as being normal.

Maybe there is a link here and maybe there isn't, all I'm saying is don't dismiss the idea as just being some silly scapegoat as it is a very valid explanation as to why someone might do what that guy did.