• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jealous God?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Why is the Abrahamic god jealous? The Abrahamic god says have no other gods before him, for he is jealous. Why? Why does he need to be jealous of other gods if he's the most powerful one? Is he jealous of the devotion they recieve? And if there are no other gods except the Abrahamic one, for those who will answer there are no other gods, if there aren't then what is he jealous of, nothing?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The Abrahamic god actually evolved over time. At the beginning, God was just a tribal god. There were various tribal gods, with God being just one of them.

The followers of God, those who would be later called the Hebrews, split off from the other tribes (the evidence shows that most likely they were part of the Caananites, and split off of them) and wanted to differentiate from them.

Now, it is known that the early Hebrews were not monotheistic. They did have their own personal god; however, they also believed that there were other gods. Some Hebrews even worshipped other gods. The problem though was that God's prophets and priests claimed that their god was more powerful. Part of this could have been a monetary one (so more people would sacrifice to their god) or simply an ego thing, or even possibly because they truly believed it. For whatever reason though, God's prophets really battled the other gods.

It was in this struggle that the idea that God was jealous, or that he was called jealous was formed. Mainly, it was his prophets trying to gain a monopoly over god that caused them to state that God was a jealous god. It was a logical move, basically telling everyone else that they were wrong, and that God was going to wreck havoc with them if they did not obey.

That God though is not the same as the current God though. At that time, the idea of God, or God was still forming to what he is now. It took a long time for God to be what he is. Much of it had to do with the time periods.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Why is the Abrahamic god jealous? The Abrahamic god says have no other gods before him, for he is jealous. Why? Why does he need to be jealous of other gods if he's the most powerful one? Is he jealous of the devotion they recieve? And if there are no other gods except the Abrahamic one, for those who will answer there are no other gods, if there aren't then what is he jealous of, nothing?
I believe that, in biblical context, the word "jealous" means demanding exclusive loyalty. (Yes, that's a legitimate definition.) I don't think it means "envious."

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
God in the Hebrew tradition is not considered one god of many as it were in other traditions, but he is considered the one true God. keeping this in mind, and upon locating the literary use of 'jealous God' is in the scriptural context we find that its almost exclusively in the context of not worshiping idols. if in Hebrew tradition God is the sole creator of the heavens of the earth, it seems a logical and culturally unifying tradition.
as for the other question, if there are 'no other gods', that is perhaps also answering the first question, because the monotheistic Hebrew tradition tought that idol worship is empty and vain worship, and it had reasons to remove it from Israelite society.

Rainbow Mage

I believe that, in biblical context, the word "jealous" means demanding exclusive loyalty. (Yes, that's a legitimate definition.) I don't think it means "envious."

If it's the case that there are other gods though, which it is, then why should this god demand exclusive loyalty? Why don't the other gods deserve loyalty too? They are gods.

Caricus

I think these are metaphors that try to inform the people that nothing should come before the loyalty to God. When I say 'nothing' I am alluding to materialistic items, gold, silver, wealth and so on. Or in modern terms plasma TV's which get some people into debt.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If it's the case that there are other gods though, which it is, then why should this god demand exclusive loyalty? Why don't the other gods deserve loyalty too? They are gods.
Well, the Bible (if you're going to go by that) says He's the God of gods, which to me implies that they should also worship Him. And Paul said, "For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God..." So, even if there are other gods, none of them is our God.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I have to agree with you Yosef. I personally prefer to have a faith in monism. Basically, there is just one god; however, this god has many forms. Hinduism can be described as this (or at least some forms of).

In other words, there are many gods, who are apart of one god.

Rainbow Mage

I have to agree with you Yosef. I personally prefer to have a faith in monism. Basically, there is just one god; however, this god has many forms. Hinduism can be described as this (or at least some forms of).

In other words, there are many gods, who are apart of one god.

That's what Kemetic Orthodoxy teaches about the Egyptian gods as well, that they all form a metaphysical whole, and hence the ancients could syncretize them together: Amun-Ra, Ptah-Sokar, Sokar-Wesir, etc. It's kinda complicated though.

VEW

:rainbow1:
According to Biblical usage, “jealousy” may be a positive or a negative quality or emotion. (Pr 14:30; Zec 1:14) The Hebrew noun qin·’ah′ variously means “insistence on exclusive devotion; toleration of no rivalry; zeal; ardor; jealousy [righteous or sinful]; envying.” The Greek ze′los has a similar meaning.—2Co 11:2; 12:20.
Jehovah’s​
Jealousy. Jehovah describes himself as “a God exacting exclusive devotion.” (Ex 20:5, ftn; De 4:24; 5:9; 6:15) He also says: “Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, he is a jealous God.” (Ex 34:14) Over what and with what kind of jealousy? Not with the envious, selfish jealousy of humans. It is a jealousy, a zeal or ardor for his holy name, concerning which he himself says: “I will show exclusive devotion for my holy name.”—Eze 39:25.
For​
his name. When one considers what God’s name stands for, the reason for his “insistence on exclusive devotion” becomes clear. (Eze 5:13) His name represents all that is right and righteous. He is holy, clean, upright, loyal in the superlative degree. (Isa 6:3; Re 4:8; 16:5) His sovereignty is necessary to the existence of the universe, and allegiance to his sovereignty and laws is essential to the order and peace of all creation. (Pr 29:2; 1Co 14:33) His jealousy is therefore a pure, clean jealousy and is altogether for the benefit of his creatures, as their devotion brings him—the Creator, Provider, and Giver of all good things—no profit. (Job 41:11; Ps 145:16; Ro 11:35; Jas 1:17; Re 4:11) But in his devotion to righteousness his heart is made glad with loving appreciation when his servants stand firm for righteousness and give exclusive devotion to him.—Pr 23:15, 16; 27:11.
For his people. Because of his love for his people and because they bear his holy name, Jehovah is jealous for them with a fiery zeal. Just as a husband jealously protects his wife as precious to him, so Jehovah says: “He that is touching you is touching my eyeball.” (Zec 2:8) Accordingly, because of the malicious acts of the nations toward his people, God foretold: “I will be jealous for Zion with great jealousy, and with great rage I will be jealous for her,” also, that he would be zealous for his land and would show compassion upon his people.—Zec 8:2; 1:14; Joe 2:18.

I hope this helps in your thinking as far as God being jealous.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Remember the tribes of Abraham were of Sumerian origin. Abraham chose to take one of the Sumerian Gods (Enlil - the Airy God of the Mountain) to worship.

Enlil (who became Jahova) was a jealous vengeful god - who as has been mentioned demanded service and sacrifice - Consider how he asked Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac on a mountain top to prove his alligance.

Enlil was the twin Brother of Enki in Sumerian mythos - Enki was the teacher/initiator - Light Bringer.
To understand why Enlil was deemed a jealous god - it is worth studying the story of Enlil and Enki.

no-body

I belief this is the result of man filtering God's message through his own eyes. The writers of the scripture wanted to stress that their God was number one over all others, I mean if you have the number one supreme God behind your back it's hard for your tribe to fail. Even more so if all other God's and peoples must bow down to Him.

Rainbow Mage

That's exactly what it is. They want to believe their god is the best one. I've heard them degrade other gods to the point that they won't even call them gods, they call them demons. Would they mind if I started calling their god a demon?

Cordoba

Good answer Katzpur

In Islam, the concept of (shirk) or associating others with God, is something unacceptable

When a believer does something good it has to be for God's sake only

If he/she associates others (example wants to be seen by people when giving charity), such an act would be rejected as the intention in this case is not pure

Rainbow Mage

Islam may very well teach that shirk is associating partners with God, but like I said, how do you know that Allah is the only god? Your Koran says that the Polytheists worship Jinns, so you're guilty of the same the Christians do, calling our gods demons. Like I said, can you really prove your god deserves exclusive loyalty?

Cordoba

can you really prove your god deserves exclusive loyalty?

For a Muslim, no doubt

The same applies for Jews and Christians (as He is the same God)

Followers of other faiths worship other gods, and atheists believe there is no God

That's their own business

(For you is your religion, and for me is my religion) (The Qur'an, 109:6)

Rainbow Mage

For a Muslim, no doubt

The same applies for Jews and Christians (as He is the same God)

Followers of other faiths worship other gods, and atheists believe there is no God

That's their own business

(For you is your religion, and for me is my religion) (The Qur'an, 109:6)

Okay I can respect an answer like that :) I do have a question though. Do you believe that a person who worships other gods with true devotion, meaning they truly love their gods and do what is right, do you believe they would still go to the hellfire because they didn't worship Allah?