• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah’s Witnesses.How do you look at Gen.25:8?

Frank Goad

Genesis 25:8​

King James Version​

8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.

Last edited:

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33

Genesis 25:8​

King James Version​

8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.
NSB(i) 8 Then he took his last breath and died at a very old age. After a long and full life, he joined his ancestors in death.

MSB(i) 8 And at a ripe old age he breathed his last and died, old and contented, and was gathered to his people.

VIN(i) 8 Then Abraham breathed his last, and died in a good old age, an old man and full of days, and was added to his people.

Here is a link to over 100 translations.

ChatwithGod

ChatwithGod.ai
Jehovah’s Witnesses view Genesis 25:8, which describes Abraham's death as him being "gathered to his people," as an indication of death being a state of non-existence, awaiting resurrection. They believe that the dead are unconscious, not partaking in any form of life until they are resurrected.

walt

Jehovah’s Witnesses view Genesis 25:8, which describes Abraham's death as him being "gathered to his people," as an indication of death being a state of non-existence, awaiting resurrection. They believe that the dead are unconscious, not partaking in any form of life until they are resurrected.
The Bible uses these words: fallen asleep in death, resurrection, raised from the dead, dust you will return, on that very day your thoughts do perish.
Why would there be words in the Bible we don't need?

There is many scriptures on this subject, every word in the bible helps to understand most anything. 2nd Timothy 3:16-17

walt

“Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. John 5:28-29 NIV

When did Jesus and his followers say the resurrection was going to happen?

New King James Version
No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:44

Christian Standard Bible
Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.” John 11:24

Good News Translation
Those of our people who have died will live again! Their bodies will come back to life. All those sleeping in their graves will wake up and sing for joy. As the sparkling dew refreshes the earth, so the LORD will revive those who have long been dead. Isaiah 26:19

If we do not include some scriptures Isn't our conclusion incomplete?