• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have read enough to be able to conclude the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses equate themselves to Jehovah*. They do believe Jehovah is the modern name of the God of Israel יְהוָה֙ .

I wonder why Jews are silent regarding that fact that when they say Jehovah they mean the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses.

*An example of it is when someone leaves the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses it is said they leave Jehovah.

I have concluded in my own right that calling a human organization Jehovah is sinning against the commandment "You shall not take the name of Adonai thy God in vain".

1. Why does it not matter if a non Jew does it?
2. Is it not bad if The Name is pronounced incorrectly?

It seems to me the order of the ten commandments is significant. Why has taking The Name in vain become least significant please?

Wherenextcolumbus

I have read enough to be able to conclude the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses equate themselves to Jehovah*. They do believe Jehovah is the modern name of the God of Israel יְהוָה֙ .

I wonder why Jews are silent regarding that fact that when they say Jehovah they mean the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses.

*An example of it is when someone leaves the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses it is said they leave Jehovah.

I have concluded in my own right that calling a human organization Jehovah is sinning against the commandment "You shall not take the name of Adonai thy God in vain".

1. Why does it not matter if a non Jew does it?
2. Is it not bad if The Name is pronounced incorrectly?

It seems to me the order of the ten commandments is significant. Why has taking The Name in vain become least significant please?
I don't think it has become less significant to observant Jews, it's just that Jews don't preach to none Jews.
Jehovah is definitely not the modern version of Gods name, it is not Gods name, it is an invention, it is not in the good book.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think it has become less significant to observant Jews, it's just that Jews don't preach to none Jews.
Jehovah is definitely not the modern version of Gods name, it is not Gods name, it is an invention, it is not in the good book.

I can't disagree with you about "jehovah" NOT being God's name. What it is is the word many people use for יְהוָ֔ה . To many people, especially Jehovah's Witnesses, יְהוָ֔ה and Jehovah are the same.

If taking God's NAME in vain is really a sin, I think it should matter to the whole believing world that people do it and that people even teach doing it. Don't you?

I do believe the effects of sin and it's consequence spread to others not sinning the sin. Isn't it why sinning is BAD?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A couple of points ...

• If someone is curious about why Jews think or do one thing rather than another, one approach might be to ask Jews. The Judaism DIR exists in part to facilitate such things.
  • As for the Tetragrammaton and 'Jehovah', Wikipedia's Tetragrammaton:Jehovah is worth reading, as is the reference/link to qere perpetual. Some might find the entire entry on "Qere and Ketiv" interesting.
Finally, as for ...
... if this is in any way true, the OP (which is clearly far more trivial and superficial than any organized religion) can only be viewed as a significantly worse infraction. You seem to be doing a poor job in taking your conclusion seriously enough to act upon it.

Wherenextcolumbus

I can't disagree with you about "jehovah" NOT being God's name. What it is is the word many people use for יְהוָ֔ה . To many people, especially Jehovah's Witnesses, יְהוָ֔ה and Jehovah are the same.

If taking God's NAME in vain is really a sin, I think it should matter to the whole believing world that people do it and that people even teach doing it. Don't you?

I do believe the effects of sin and it's consequence spread to others not sinning the sin. Isn't it why sinning is BAD?

God has like ten names, YHVH is just the highest name, Jews try and avoid even using other names for God except for educational purposes, but they can't control who ends up using them and how.
To be quite honest no JW will change anything about their worship unless the governing body mandates it. Or they practise in secret, like I there have been JWs who take Eucharist at home in secret. They have no say in the things that effect them. When the GB changed the baptism vows did the JWS get to vote on it, no! When the GB body said you can't accept blood transfusions not even blood fractions, and then changed to accepting blood fractions, did any JW have a say? They just do whatever the GB tells them to do or they leave.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A couple of points ...

• If someone is curious about why Jews think or do one thing rather than another, one approach might be to ask Jews. The Judaism DIR exists in part to facilitate such things.
  • As for the Tetragrammaton and 'Jehovah', Wikipedia's Tetragrammaton:Jehovah is worth reading, as is the reference/link to qere perpetual. Some might find the entire entry on "Qere and Ketiv" interesting.
Finally, as for ...
... if this is in any way true, the OP (which is clearly far more trivial and superficial than any organized religion) can only be viewed as a significantly worse infraction. You seem to be doing a poor job in taking your conclusion seriously enough to act upon it.

Haha Because I say God's name? LOL. You can be depended on to be funny. That's for sure!

I might read that stuff later. Jehovah willing. Haha

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Any way you missed my point by a mile. It seems Horrorble is the only one who gets it. And....

To say that is not allowed on the blue threads fyi. I like to be free.

Wherenextcolumbus

maybe many people do not know how JWs go on about replacing Gods name in the NT were it was meant to be, and bringing gods name to the people, and how Jews don't use gods name because they are superstitious, and this is proof of their divine inspiration for informing people of gods name, maybe if they knew this they would understand the point of this thread Savage ;)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The vehemence with which the utterance of the name is denounced in the Mishna suggests that use of Yahweh was unacceptable in rabbinical Judaism. "He who pronounces the Name with its own letters has no part in the world to come!"[43] Such is the prohibition of pronouncing the Name as written that it is sometimes called the "Ineffable", "Unutterable" or "Distinctive Name"

It is not about 1. what name? 2. saying The Name 3. saying The Name right 4. knowing The Name 4. caring about vowels 5. or even using The Name

It is about applying The Name to a human agency. Why has it been allowed for how many years? It wasn't always that the Jehovah's Witnesses equated themselves to The Name of God. I do not know how long they have been doing it but I (and many others) know that they do.

Maybe someone gets so riled he or she does not see my example. My example was this here;

When anyone leaves the organization of The Jehovah's Witnesses it is believed by the Jehovah's Witnesses that leaving means leaving JEHOVAH. If leaving means leaving Jehovah then they are calling themselves Jehovah. What if they called themselves by the letters sans vowels? Would it still be OK? Is it OK they call themselves Jehovah? Am I the only one that thinks it is'nt right? Most people don't care. I thought of going to the DIR about it but I'd rather not.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
By the way if anyone needs a break down here it is: I am not being critical of the name Jehovah's Witnesses. I am not being critical of the fact they teach the Bible with the aim of knowing God and God's NAME. I am not even in tumult about the fact that they added The Name to the Greek scriptures where it wasn't written by the writers.

I am clammering about the fact that they say they are Jehovah. OMG. They do not say "we are Jehovah" in so many words. They imply it by the many things they TEACH.

Someday I might find some more examples when I am not so busy figuring out ancient pronouns.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Another way of looking at what I am saying is this:

They teach the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses are the only ones who know how to know Jehovah. (Zephaniah 2:3) To know Jehovah you must know the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses. Tell me that's not what they teach.

To know Jehovah is to know the governing body. How is that not calling the governing body Jehovah?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is being taught that if anyone is to seek Jehovah as Zephaniah 2:3 directs, what he will find is the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses.

You think maybe I am making this up?

Wherenextcolumbus

Another way of looking at what I am saying is this:

They teach the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses are the only ones who know how to know Jehovah. (Zephaniah 2:3) To know Jehovah you must know the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses. Tell me that's not what they teach.

To know Jehovah is to know the governing body. How is that not calling the governing body Jehovah?

They believe the GB is the mediator so to speak between God and everyone else, to leave the only mediator between God and man is to leave God. Is that biblical? Does God need a mediator?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They believe the GB is the mediator so to speak between God and everyone else, to leave the only mediator between God and man is to leave God. Is that biblical? Does God need a mediator?

No it isn't Biblical. The only way they believe it is a question at Matthew 24:45-47, and also Mark 13:34-37 and Luke 12:35-48. Each scripture does not give heavenly authority to humans but that is what they have taken. To know YHVH you MUST go through them. It is what every loyal Jehovah's Witness believes or is taught to believe.

I am a believer in God's son. He is the way I know YHVH. According to me he is the only way. But they say they are the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithful_and_discreet_slave

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Young's Literal Translation Jeremiah 31:34
And they do not teach any more Each his neighbour, and each his brother, Saying, Know ye Jehovah, For they all know Me, from their least unto their greatest, An affirmation of Jehovah; For I pardon their iniquity, And of their sin I make mention no more.

The Jehovah's Witnesses believe (or teach) that to be forgiven one must be one with the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses.