• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus in Quran.

Salaam alakium, Hello everyone. As a white male Christian (?) who recently visited local Masjid, i have one problem coming to terms with. How did Jesus (PBUH) not die on the cross? If someone can explain this i would be grateful. Am reading "Life of Muhammad " (PBUH) by Martin Lings.

Sabour

w Alykoum Al Salam wa rahmatou Allah

Verses from Quraan about the subject:

4:157 And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

4:158 Rather, Allah raised him to Himself. And ever is Allah Exalted in Might and Wise

Now for the commentary, taken from www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=87468

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Allah, The Most-High, has honoured and dignified I’sa (Jesus) (Alaihi As-Salaam), and saved him from the Jews who were transgressing him, and He raised him up to the heavens with his body and soul, and he is still so until today. Allah, The Exalted, Says as a response to those who claim that they have killed the Messiah: {And because of their saying (in boast), "We killed Messiah 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), the Messenger of Allâh," - but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of 'Iesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man), and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not [i.e. 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) ]: But Allâh raised him ['Iesa (Jesus)] up (with his body and soul) unto Himself (and he is in the heavens). And Allâh is Ever All-Powerful, All Wise.}[4:157-158].

This verse is an evidence that Allah, The Most-High, took him up alive and saved him from being killed. There is a consensus of the Ummah – as Ibn Qayyim reports in Bayan Talbiss al-Jahmia – that Allah has raised I’sa (Alaihi As-Salaam) to him to the heavens.

In another verse Allah Says: {And (remember) when Allâh said: "O 'Iesa (Jesus)! I will take you and raise you to Myself and clear you [of the forged statement that 'Iesa (Jesus) is Allâh's son] of those who disbelieve, and I will make those who follow you (Monotheists, who worship none but Allâh) superior to those who disbelieve [in the Oneness of Allâh, or disbelieve in some of His Messengers, e.g. Muhammad SAW, 'Iesa (Jesus), Mûsa (Moses), etc., or in His Holy Books, e.g. the Taurât (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel), the Qur'ân] till the Day of Resurrection. Then you will return to Me and I will judge between you in the matters in which you used to dispute."}[3:55].

Ibn Taymiyah said in response 'to those who claim that they had killed him'. This is an evidence that Allah did not mean by “I will take you” death, because if he meant death by that expression, then I’sa will be like other believers; as Allah takes their souls and raises them (souls) up to the heavens, there is no particularity in that.

Also, the Saying of Allah: {and clear you [of the forged statement that 'Iesa (Jesus) is Allâh's son] of those who disbelieve,}, and if it was that his soul departed away from his body, then his body would have remained on earth like all other Prophets.

In another verse Allah Said: {…but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of 'Iesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man), and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not [i.e. 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) ]: But Allâh raised him ['Iesa (Jesus)] up (with his body and soul) unto Himself (and he is in the heavens).} this means that both his body and soul were raised to the heavens.

It is confirmed in the Saheeh that he will descend with his body and soul. Because if Allah meant that I’sa died, He would have said: ‘They did not kill him, and they did not crucify him, but he died’.

That is why some Ulamah said: “and raise you” means “I take you up”, i.e. with body and soul’.

In Arabic language “Tawafaitu” i.e. I received the amount in full, and “Istawfait” means the same thing. The word “Tawafa” does not necessarily refer to the “taking” of body and soul.

It can also refer to ‘taking the soul away at the time of sleep’.

Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {It is Allâh Who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and those that die not during their sleep. He keeps those (souls) for which He has ordained death and sends the rest for a term appointed. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply.}[39:42].

[Extracted from Majmou’ al-Fatawi of Ibn Taymiyah, 322-323].

What could be concluded from his text, may Allah have mercy on him, is that the word “Tawafi” in the verse means “the taking away”, i.e. that Allah had taken away I’sa (Alaihi As-Salaam), with his body and soul and raised him to the heavens.

However, the word ‘Tawafi’ which could have the meaning of death, refers to the taking away of the soul only, there is a separation between the body and soul.

Therefore we know that there is no contradiction between the verse mentioned above and other evidences of raising up, but they confirm the same meaning.

Allah knows best.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Salaam alakium, Hello everyone. As a white male Christian (?) who recently visited local Masjid, i have one problem coming to terms with. How did Jesus (PBUH) not die on the cross? ...

Peace be with you, Joseph..

How do we know that Jesus, peace be with him, actually died on the cross?
My understanding is that it's not certain WHAT happened. Maybe another man was put 'in his place', or maybe he was taken down after dark by pontius pilate's men .. he wasn't happy with carrying out the crucifixion I believe.

We have reports that Mary Magdalene saw Jesus alive the following day, and that he bore the wounds of being hung on the cross. If these reports were true, it would suggest to me that the latter scenario was more likely. :)

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Salaam alakium, Hello everyone. As a white male Christian (?) who recently visited local Masjid, i have one problem coming to terms with. How did Jesus (PBUH) not die on the cross? If someone can explain this i would be grateful. Am reading "Life of Muhammad " (PBUH) by Martin Lings.
Peace be on you.
According to Ahmadiyya Muslims, Hazrat Jesus (on whom be peace did not die on cross. If he had, it would have proved accursed death, which was being sought by opponents to prove his falsehood:
More @ Jesus in India | Tomb of Jesus | Where Did Jesus Die | Jesus in Islam - Al Islam Online
wwwDOTalislamDOT/topics/jesus/

The simple truth is that it's not just the Bible that has the narrative about the death-by-crucifixion of Jesus Christ. If Muslims are honest to themselves, then they will agree with the secular historians that Jesus was killed on a cross.

Why don't the Muslims believe that Jesus was crucified? Because the Koran says that He was not crucified nor killed.
Here it is:4:157 (Y. Ali) That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah.;- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

Here is what non-christian ancient highly respected historians wrote:

TACITUS: (55-117) A.D.)
Cornelius Tactitus is regarded as the greatest historian of ancient Rome. Writing on the reign of Nero, Tacitus alludes to the death of Christ and to the existence of Christians in Rome.
“Consequently, to get rid of the report, ...
PLINY THE YOUNGER: (112 A.D.)
Pliny was governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor who wrote a letter to Trajan regarding how to deal with Christians who worshiped Christ. These letters concern an episode which marks the first time the Roman government acknowledged Christianity as a religion separate from Judaism, and set a precedent for the massive persecution of Christians that takes place in the second and third centuries.
“They (the Christians) were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sand in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath not to any wicked deeds, not to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor to deny any trust when they should be call to deliver it up, after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of food —but food of an ordinary but and innocent kind.”

BABYLONIAN TALMUD: (Completed in the 6th Century A.D.)
The Babylonian Talmud is a Rabbinic commentary of the Jewish scriptures (Tanach: Old Testament). They are a look into what is a hostile source was saying about Jesus. They could not deny the miracles but claimed that it was sorcery rather than admit to what was a known fact.
“ On the eve of the Passover Yeshu was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried, “He is going forth to be stoned because He has practiced sorcery (an admission of his miracles) and enticed Israel to apostasy. Any one who can say anything in his favor let him come forward and plead on his behalf. But since nothing was brought forward in his favor he was hanged on the even of the Passover.”
The Babylonian Talmud, vol. III, Sanhedrin 43a

LUCIAN: (120-180 A.D.)
a Greek satirist that spoke scornfully of Christ and Christians, affirming that they were real and historical people, never saying that they were fictional characters.
“The Christians, you know, worship a man to this day — the distinguished personage who introduced their novel rites, and was crucified on that account…

seeking4truth

The Bible and the Quran both say that Jesus did not die on the cross.
All the evidence of the Gospels is that Jesus was alive following the Crucifixion.
He showed himself to his friends, ate, drank, walked, talked, was sore and wounded as anyone would be following such treatment.
Why did he beg God in prayer before and during the crucifixion to protect him from disgrace if it was his destiny - the will of God?
If he had died and been reincarnated in the same body why did he not show himself to the Temple powers therefore proving beyond doubt his resurrection.

The fact is as the Gospels and other apocryphal books show is that Jesus was tried by Pilate, sent to Herod, returned to Pilate(both trying to avoid condemming him to crucifixion), beaten, placed on the cross where he hung for only a short time.
Jesus was then taken by Joseph of Aramathea placed in a secure chamber(cave/tomb) where he was treated with ointments and cared for until he was able to move about.
It was then that he began to meet his companions starting with the women slowly extending his contacts and moving away from Jerusalem.

It is a beautiful story of God saving his chosen messenger, the loyalty and support of believers and the spread of the truthful message without the need for any un-natural intervention or suspension of the laws of nature so wonderfully designed by God.

Neither the Gospels nor the Quran are wrong both are truth accounts. It is the interpretation which is at fault, creating unbelievable, unnatural suspension of the rules of nature in both cases.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To put it simply for you, it appeared to them that Jesus died on the cross but that was not really what happened there. Many people might speculate on what really happened there but only Allah knows. I think this mystery really fit someone who was born in such a miraculous way. For us Muslims we believe he is still alive and will come down to us near judgment day.

4:157 And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

4:158 Rather, Allah raised him to Himself. And ever is Allah Exalted in Might and Wise

Now for the commentary, taken from www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=87468

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Allah, The Most-High, has honoured and dignified I’sa (Jesus) (Alaihi As-Salaam), and saved him from the Jews who were transgressing him, and He raised him up to the heavens with his body and soul, and he is still so until today. Allah, The Exalted, Says as a response to those who claim that they have killed the Messiah: {And because of their saying (in boast), "We killed Messiah 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), the Messenger of Allâh," - but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of 'Iesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man), and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not [i.e. 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) ]: But Allâh raised him ['Iesa (Jesus)] up (with his body and soul) unto Himself (and he is in the heavens). And Allâh is Ever All-Powerful, All Wise.}[4:157-158].

This verse is an evidence that Allah, The Most-High, took him up alive and saved him from being killed. There is a consensus of the Ummah – as Ibn Qayyim reports in Bayan Talbiss al-Jahmia – that Allah has raised I’sa (Alaihi As-Salaam) to him to the heavens.

In another verse Allah Says: {And (remember) when Allâh said: "O 'Iesa (Jesus)! I will take you and raise you to Myself and clear you [of the forged statement that 'Iesa (Jesus) is Allâh's son] of those who disbelieve, and I will make those who follow you (Monotheists, who worship none but Allâh) superior to those who disbelieve [in the Oneness of Allâh, or disbelieve in some of His Messengers, e.g. Muhammad SAW, 'Iesa (Jesus), Mûsa (Moses), etc., or in His Holy Books, e.g. the Taurât (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel), the Qur'ân] till the Day of Resurrection. Then you will return to Me and I will judge between you in the matters in which you used to dispute."}[3:55].

Ibn Taymiyah said in response 'to those who claim that they had killed him'. This is an evidence that Allah did not mean by “I will take you” death, because if he meant death by that expression, then I’sa will be like other believers; as Allah takes their souls and raises them (souls) up to the heavens, there is no particularity in that.

Also, the Saying of Allah: {and clear you [of the forged statement that 'Iesa (Jesus) is Allâh's son] of those who disbelieve,}, and if it was that his soul departed away from his body, then his body would have remained on earth like all other Prophets.

In another verse Allah Said: {…but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of 'Iesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man), and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not [i.e. 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) ]: But Allâh raised him ['Iesa (Jesus)] up (with his body and soul) unto Himself (and he is in the heavens).} this means that both his body and soul were raised to the heavens.

It is confirmed in the Saheeh that he will descend with his body and soul. Because if Allah meant that I’sa died, He would have said: ‘They did not kill him, and they did not crucify him, but he died’.

That is why some Ulamah said: “and raise you” means “I take you up”, i.e. with body and soul’.

In Arabic language “Tawafaitu” i.e. I received the amount in full, and “Istawfait” means the same thing. The word “Tawafa” does not necessarily refer to the “taking” of body and soul.

Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {It is Allâh Who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and those that die not during their sleep. He keeps those (souls) for which He has ordained death and sends the rest for a term appointed. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply.}[39:42].

What could be concluded from his text, may Allah have mercy on him, is that the word “Tawafi” in the verse means “the taking away”, i.e. that Allah had taken away I’sa (Alaihi As-Salaam), with his body and soul and raised him to the heavens.

However, the word ‘Tawafi’ which could have the meaning of death, refers to the taking away of the soul only, there is a separation between the body and soul.

Therefore we know that there is no contradiction between the verse mentioned above and other evidences of raising up, but they confirm the same meaning.

Allah knows best.
Thankyou and thankyou for the blessings of Allah.

The Bible and the Quran both say that Jesus did not die on the cross.
All the evidence of the Gospels is that Jesus was alive following the Crucifixion.
He showed himself to his friends, ate, drank, walked, talked, was sore and wounded as anyone would be following such treatment.
Why did he beg God in prayer before and during the crucifixion to protect him from disgrace if it was his destiny - the will of God?
If he had died and been reincarnated in the same body why did he not show himself to the Temple powers therefore proving beyond doubt his resurrection.

The fact is as the Gospels and other apocryphal books show is that Jesus was tried by Pilate, sent to Herod, returned to Pilate(both trying to avoid condemming him to crucifixion), beaten, placed on the cross where he hung for only a short time.
Jesus was then taken by Joseph of Aramathea placed in a secure chamber(cave/tomb) where he was treated with ointments and cared for until he was able to move about.
It was then that he began to meet his companions starting with the women slowly extending his contacts and moving away from Jerusalem.

It is a beautiful story of God saving his chosen messenger, the loyalty and support of believers and the spread of the truthful message without the need for any un-natural intervention or suspension of the laws of nature so wonderfully designed by God.

Neither the Gospels nor the Quran are wrong both are truth accounts. It is the interpretation which is at fault, creating unbelievable, unnatural suspension of the rules of nature in both cases.

To those who don't WANT to believe, no amount of proof is enough. This is the case with Muslims when it comes to the killing of Jesus Christ by crucifixion. Highly respected and recognized non-christian historians have written about the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Here they are if you care to visit the Site: Early Secular Writings Regarding Christ

Peace be with you, Joseph..

How do we know that Jesus, peace be with him, actually died on the cross?
My understanding is that it's not certain WHAT happened. Maybe another man was put 'in his place', or maybe he was taken down after dark by pontius pilate's men .. he wasn't happy with carrying out the crucifixion I believe.

We have reports that Mary Magdalene saw Jesus alive the following day, and that he bore the wounds of being hung on the cross. If these reports were true, it would suggest to me that the latter scenario was more likely. :)
Salaam my friend and thankyou for that thought.I never considered that.

Salaam my friend and thankyou for that thought.I never considered that.

Sorry to intrude, but let me show the Koran's statement and then the writings of non-christian historians about the crucifixion-death of Jesus Christ--son of Mary. (I am not going to show the evidence from the Bible because Muslims have been taught that the Bible is a corrupted book, corrupted by Jews and Christians. So why bother to site the biblical evidence?).

So here they are: (1) Sura 4:157 (Y. Ali) That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah.;- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

Below if you visit the Site at number (2) by clicking on the underlined words, you will understand the truth.
Please remember that these EARLY historians had nothing to do with Christianity. Thus they had nothing to gain by writing the truth about Jesus Christ. They wrote what they knew to be 100% true. If they had written falsehoods as historians, they would not have gone into later books of history as honest, historians. They would have been disgraced for writing lies. But nobody has declared them to be false history-writers for the past about 2000 years.

(2) Early Secular Writings Regarding Christ
(I am giving the site because the passages are too long).

seeking4truth

Remember that the writings of earlier historians may have been selected and edited by the church authorities which had the controlling power over education in Europe for most of the time since Jesus lived.

Even in modern times when the Dead Sea Scrolls were found it was the church who controlled the removal, translation and publication of the documents until public pressure forced a complete publication of available scrolls..

seeking4truth

God created the world and all the systems which work within it.
We have many examples, even today, of qualified medical practitioners declaring someone dead and that person reviving in the morgue.
Why is it difficult to believe that this happened to Jesus? This is much more logical and verifiable as an act of God than to believe as some Muslims do that a physical Jesus is hanging around somewhere waiting to come back.

Jesus begged God to save him. No where does it say that Jesus expected death. When people demanded a sign of the truth of his claim to be the Messiah he said quite clearly that no sign would be given except the sign of Jonah. The whole point of the sign of Jonah was that he was ALIVE and was able to continue to complete his mission.
It was the mission of the Messiah to go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. IF he died on the cross and did not leave the area how did he fulfill his mission?

Remember that the writings of earlier historians may have been selected and edited by the church authorities which had the controlling power over education in Europe for most of the time since Jesus lived.

Even in modern times when the Dead Sea Scrolls were found it was the church who controlled the removal, translation and publication of the documents until public pressure forced a complete publication of available scrolls..

Are you telling me that the church gathered together all the copies of the historical writings of the anceient historians and changed the words without missing even one copy of the books of history? These historians did not write only about Jesus Christ. They wrote a whole lot of other historical events. Embedded in the historical writings were the words about the life of Jesus Christ. You think that the ancient scholars who had studied the originals and their TRUE copies would have kept quiet when they read the changed words of later copies?

The Dead Sea Scrolls were NEVER ALTERED to change anything written in them. Not even one word. Why? Because it was/is impossible to change words and without their permission? No way! The DSS are over 2000 yrs old and almost going to dust because of decay. Who could change words on such disintegrating material, even if permission was granted to handle them by any church authorities? What ink would the fraudsters use? Would the new ink not show up under a microscope? No way the authoeities who had charge of the DSS would have allowed them to be even touched by anybody. People are only allowed to take photos of them.

Same thing with the Bible. How could anybody have collected ALL the Bibles scattered throughout the world in order to change them? Impossible!!! If Christians changed words in the Torah (OT) you think the Jews would have kept silent about it?

Remember that the Torah was written in at least three different languages. If as you people think that the Hebrew Torahs were changed, would not the Torahs in the other languages have EXPOSED the fraud?

What single authority or Church organization had the ability to collect all the Torahs in all the Synagogues of the world, and also the copies held by private hands? Let's say I had a Torah in my home for which I paid about a year's wages to buy. You think I would part with it to anybody ? No I would hide it by burying it safely until the danger was past, if there was any danger like that. Same goes for the New Testament.

I hope you will think before you write rubbish.

Last edited:
God created the world and all the systems which work within it.
We have many examples, even today, of qualified medical practitioners declaring someone dead and that person reviving in the morgue.
Why is it difficult to believe that this happened to Jesus? This is much more logical and verifiable as an act of God than to believe as some Muslims do that a physical Jesus is hanging around somewhere waiting to come back.

Jesus begged God to save him. No where does it say that Jesus expected death. When people demanded a sign of the truth of his claim to be the Messiah he said quite clearly that no sign would be given except the sign of Jonah. The whole point of the sign of Jonah was that he was ALIVE and was able to continue to complete his mission.
It was the mission of the Messiah to go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. IF he died on the cross and did not leave the area how did he fulfill his mission?

Please check the Bible before you write. Jesus knew and also spoke about His death. Here it is: John 18: 32 That the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled, which he spake, signifying what death he should die.
The whole point of mentioning the SIGN of Jonah was that He would be in the tomb three days and three nights.
Here it is:
Jonah 1:17
Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Simplelogic

Answer

Allah knows best.
So..we finally reach a serious disagreement my friend. I look forward to chatting more about this.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Sorry to intrude, but let me show the Koran's statement and then the writings of non-christian historians about the crucifixion-death of Jesus Christ--son of Mary..

So here they are: (1) Sura 4:157 (Y. Ali) That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah.;- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

Below if you visit the Site at number (2) by clicking on the underlined words, you will understand the truth..

I had a quick look at your ref .. the crucifixion of Jesus, peace be with him, is hardly mentioned!

..in any case, there is no discrepancy between what the Qur'an says and people thinking that he was actually killed (on the cross). What's your point?