• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus thought polygamy is OK!

Muffled

Jesus in me
Look at example in Matthew 25. Jesus is giving a parable. But in His mind, it is ok 10 virgin girls have one and the same husband:

"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.

“At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’"

“But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut."
I believe all those who have received Jesus as Lord and Savior are the bride of Christ metaphorically and the ten virgins fall into that category as well. So the answer is no as is plain from Mat. 5.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Look at example in Matthew 25. Jesus is giving a parable. But in His mind, it is ok 10 virgin girls have one and the same husband:

"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.

“But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut."
I believe all those who have received Jesus as Lord and Savior are the bride of Christ metaphorically and the ten virgins fall into that category as well. So the answer is no as is plain from Mat. 5.
He could have used other examples. Didn't have to use a bad act, as an example to teach about Kingdom of God.
clearly He didn't think it was wrong, because Jesus lived 2000 years ago. He didn't manifest as a Modern man, in a civilized world.
I believe it is not a bad act because no actual marriage takes place.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The thing is, the Old T. Clearly allows polygamy. Many Prophets in the Bible had multiple wives. And Jesus was sent from the same God, that had revealed Laws of Torah.

Jesus never said, you shall not have more than one wife. If He wanted to, He would have said it, in the same way, He said, they cannot divorce their wife.
I believe there is nothing from God giving permission for multiple marriages and there is an injunction against it.

jimb

Premium Member
Well at least Trump's marriages were sequential. He was never a polygamist so he has that going for him.
Since he has violated the seventh commandment, he has nothing going for him regarding morality, faithfulness, Christianity, etc.

He should be in prison, not the Oval Office!

jimb

Premium Member

Clearly you don't understand marriage customs of the time. It was customary for women to greet the bridegroom when he appeared for his wedding. That has nothing to do with 10 virgin girls having one and the same husband!!!

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

Polygamy has been a practice in the Middle East and Africa for thousands of years, and they've never stopped practicing it. Judaism technically still allows it but they don't practice it at the moment. Christianity picked up monogamous marriage from European culture (Romans, although the other European peoples also practiced monogamous marriage). It was never really a thing in Christianity.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Since he has violated the seventh commandment, he has nothing going for him regarding morality, faithfulness, Christianity, etc.

He should be in prison, not the Oval Office!
Though immoral and that, along with countless other actions, raise strong questions about his claims that he is a Christian, it is not illegal. He should be in prison for his other crimes and if he loses that is guaranteed to be his destination unless Harris or Biden pardons him. I could still see him making a deal to stay out of prison where he would have to own up about all of his lies and his various plots.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Monogamy was from Roman culture, and Roman influence on Christianity was primarily via Paul, not Jesus.

Have you been reading bubblegum wrappers again?

Family and kinship may be rooted in the biology of procreation, but out of that reality emerged a range of cultural constructs expressed in Mesopotamian society, religion, politics, and institutions. For the literate and propertied segment of Mesopotamian society that is well represented in the documentary evidence, the familial concerns with maintaining wealth are occasionally recorded in remarkable detail in family archives and can be traced over multiple generations. With the exception of kings, monogamy was predominant in Mesopotamian marriage customs, though it was possible for polygamy to be practiced by commoners, and marriage was at the heart of the family. The sole purpose of marriage was to provide the paternal line with legitimate heirs. This aim did not preclude the possibility that the home knew romantic love between man and wife and parental affection for their children, but these were secondary concerns to the practicalities of perpetuating the lineage for a propertied family. [source; emphasis added - JS]​
You prove yourself very creative ... mostly with facts.

jimb

Premium Member
Jesus also answers a question about a woman being married to seven brothers.
One at a time! What is the matter with you? You sieze on a completely wrong notion, then claim that Jesus supports it. READ YOUR BIBLE AND ACCEPT WHAT IT SAYS. You can't follow those of us who read and understand what the Bible says.

A word of advice: stop twisting God's word!

GoodAttention

One at a time! What is the matter with you? You sieze on a completely wrong notion, then claim that Jesus supports it. READ YOUR BIBLE AND ACCEPT WHAT IT SAYS. You can't follow those of us who read and understand what the Bible says.

A word of advice: stop twisting God's word!

What did I twist? Where do I say Jesus supports polygamy?! I asked a question, isn't that what this is about?

DOES JESUS ANSWER A QUESTION PUT TO HIM ABOUT A WOMAN BEING MARRIED TO SEVEN BROTHERS YES OR NO?

Don't be a hero and presume you know more than me, there is a reason for my words that you will not understand.

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member
What did I twist?

DOES JESUS ANSWER A QUESTION PUT TO HIM ABOUT A WOMAN BEING MARRIED TO SEVEN BROTHERS YES OR NO?

Don't be a hero and presume you know more than me.
I DO know more than you, and, unlike yourself, I don't twist Scripture!

Matthew 22:23-29, " The same day Sadducees (who say there is no resurrection) came to him and asked him, “Teacher, Moses said, ‘If a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and father children for his brother.’ Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children he left his wife to his brother. The second did the same [he died], and the third, down to the seventh. [they ALL died] Last of all, the woman died. In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had married her.”[after the previous brother died] Jesus answered them, “You are deceived, because you don’t know the scriptures or the power of God."

The woman married each of the brothers after the previous brother had died! There is no polygamy!!!

The fact is that the Sadducees tried to trick Jesus, but He knew what they were doing. Why are you trying to act like them???

P.S. Read my "signature" below this message.

GoodAttention

I DO know more than you, and, unlike yourself, I don't twist Scripture!

Matthew 22:23-32, " The same day Sadducees (who say there is no resurrection) came to him and asked him, “Teacher, Moses said, ‘If a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and father children for his brother.’ Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children he left his wife to his brother. The second did the same [he died], and the third, down to the seventh. [they ALL died] Last of all, the woman died. In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had married her.”[after the previous brother died] Jesus answered them, “You are deceived, because you don’t know the scriptures or the power of God."

The woman married each of the brothers after the previous brother had died! There is no polygamy!!!

The fact is that the Sadducees tried to trick Jesus, but He knew what they were doing. Why are you trying to act like them???

Calm down before you have an aneurysm and go read Isaish 65:5

jimb

Premium Member
Calm down before you have an aneurysm and go read Isaish 65:5
Read Isaiah 65:6! (BTW, there is no prophet Isaish).

You are clearly in the wrong and need to be told the truth. If you can't deal with it, that is not my problem.

GoodAttention

Read Isaiah 65:6! (BTW, there is no prophet Isaish).

You are clearly in the wrong and need to be told the truth. If you can't deal with it, that is not my problem.

Good.

Now that you understand it is not your problem, and you have lowered your risk of a brain bleed, we are making progress.

You are never too old to reflect, so perhaps re-read this thread and see if you missed anything. Or go outside and play, it is your birthday after all.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Clearly you don't understand marriage customs of the time. It was customary for women to greet the bridegroom when he appeared for his wedding. That has nothing to do with 10 virgin girls having one and the same husband!!!

I quote from Wikipedia:

Monogamy was the norm among Christians.[48][49] However, in the context of the sickness of a wife preventing matrimonial intercourse,[50] Martin Luther, the founder of the Protestant Reformation, wrote: "I confess that I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God. In such a case the civil authority has nothing to do in the matter."[51][52]