• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was a Buddhist

jonmarkgo

Does anyone else think it is possible that Jesus was actually just a Buddhist who wanted to spread Buddh's teachings? He did go to India at one point and a lot of the things he said were almost exactly the same as what Buddha said. It also wasn't like he was trying to start a new religion. Plus, Buddha said to teach people in a way they can understand so maybe everything he said about god he just said to help people understand what he was saying but then people took it too literally. There are books on this topic. Anyone else think this?

A

angellous_evangellous

jonmarkgo said:
Does anyone else think it is possible that Jesus was actually just a Buddhist who wanted to spread Buddh's teachings? He did go to India at one point and a lot of the things he said were almost exactly the same as what Buddha said. It also wasn't like he was trying to start a new religion. Plus, Buddha said to teach people in a way they can understand so maybe everything he said about god he just said to help people understand what he was saying but then people took it too literally. There are books on this topic. Anyone else think this?
I don't think that there is any evidence for a Palestinian in the first century to know of Buddhism, much less try and teach it to others. There is nothing unquiely Buddhist in the NT.

jonmarkgo

well, many scholars believe that there were buddhist teachers in the mediterranean coast and that it is easily possible that Jesus traveled there. And from his teachings it shows that he was probably enlightend like Buddha.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
As I recall, Jesus was born to Jewish parents in Bethelemm, 'raised' in the temple, and christened 'King of the Jews' by his crucifiers. I'm not sure which of these things might make him Buddhist.:confused:
jonmarkgo said:
Does anyone else think it is possible that Jesus was actually just a Buddhist who wanted to spread Buddh's teachings?...
I've never heard such a claim, but if you'd care to link some information backing it up, it might make for an interesting read.

jonmarkgo

there are a lot of books about it The book " Was jesus influeced by the Buddha?" by Dwight Goddard talks about it. Also " Two masters, one message"by Roy C. Amore.

A

angellous_evangellous

jonmarkgo said:
This article does not represent serious scholarship.

As a NT doctoral student, I assure you that the scholars who think that Jesus was influenced by Buddhism are in a radical minority, and the models used to establish a connection are not critically reliable.

I don't know of a serious NT scholar who thinks that Jesus was a Buddhist. Jesus was a Palestinian Jew who was influenced by Judaism. Sure, the teachings of Jesus have parallels to Buddhism, but that does not mean that he was influenced by it. There simply is not evidence to support such a claim.

A

angellous_evangellous

jonmarkgo said:
Also, "Jesus and the buddha: parallel sayings" talks about it a little too.
I found that book quoted in this article:

Buddhistic Influence in the New Testament
Carl ClemenThe American Journal of Theology, Vol. 20, No. 4. (Oct., 1916), pp. 536-548

I have not found the conclusions of Clemen followed in any NT scholarship.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Buttons* said:
....I think Paul does... but then again, he's just a stoner *smiles*
What is it with calling me a stoner when you know very well i don't smoke anything? You're an odd odd girl Ashley McButtons. ;)

Anyway in answer to the OP, I don't think Yeshua was a Buddhist - I believe he was a Gnostic. But, i believe Gnosticism was influenced to a large extent by Buddhism. Hence my groovy new avatar.

The thing about the NT is; only the gospels, commentaries and letters that agreed with St. Paul's (rather warped IMHO) view of Yeshua were collected together to form it.

If you look in the Gnostic gospels and other apocrypha you'll find teachings that concur with a great deal of the Buddha's teachings, plus some which take them a step further.
By this last statement i mean Yeshua attempted to explain how we are all one - how there is nothing but the Father (as he called it) - this is what i think he meant when he said "the Father and I are one." Buddha taught how there is no self, no distinction between me and you, this and that.

nutshell

jonmarkgo said:
Does anyone else think it is possible that Jesus was actually just a Buddhist who wanted to spread Buddh's teachings?
No.

jonmarkgo said:
He did go to India at one point and a lot of the things he said were almost exactly the same as what Buddha said.
What is your evidence that he went to India. This is far from fact. It's just speculation.

jonmarkgo said:
It also wasn't like he was trying to start a new religion.
Actually, I think he was starting a new religion with Peter as the priesthood "rock" it would be built upon.

jonmarkgo said:
Plus, Buddha said to teach people in a way they can understand so maybe everything he said about god he just said to help people understand what he was saying but then people took it too literally. There are books on this topic. Anyone else think this?
Jesus taught in parables which may be difficult for people to understand. Often, people were left scratching their heads after Jesus taught.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I have heard of that theory before. I don't believe it, but I don't completly toss is out either. It's based on a guess on what happened during Jesus' years before he went to the temple for the first time that is documented in the Bible. I have yet to read anything that makes it more convincing that a "well....it might have happened."

jonmarkgo

Jesus taught in parables which may be difficult for people to understand. Often, people were left scratching their heads after Jesus taught.

I meant that maybe talking about god was really just a metaphor and that he didnt actually mean a literal god

Bishka

Veteran Member
jonmarkgo said:
I meant that maybe talking about god was really just a metaphor and that he didnt actually mean a literal god
Where on earth are you getting the ideas for this? 99.9% of the time you can tell when Jesus was speaking in parables, it was like a story.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
beckysoup61 said:
Where on earth are you getting the ideas for this? 99.9% of the time you can tell when Jesus was speaking in parables, it was like a story.

Yeshua spoke in parables because people weren't getting what he was originally trying to say...

Although it may not SEEM like it, Buddhism and Christianity are two closley related religions...

(i used to have proof on something i read... but since i dont have it, i guess i shouldnt speak... disregaurd this post i suppose)
(okay, well why are you posting it if you want them to disreguard it?)
(because i can! *smiles*)

jonmarkgo

My point is maybe people misinterpreted what he meant to be metaphors.

opensoul7

According to a book I read the speculation was that sometime during the "missing years" Jesus traveled into India and studied at the monasteries .He became known as St. Issa , and was seen as special immediatley .There are supposed to be texts hidden away at some more remote monasteries , that discuss his life and acomplishments during his time there.The book is called "The Lost Years of Jesus." by Elizabeth Clare Prophet.http://reluctant-messenger.com/issa.htm
wether it is true or not it is still an interesting idea.

joeboonda

Jesus was not a Buddhist. Jesus taught that we must trust alone in Him alone, to get to Heaven. He died so we can have eternal life, freely by trusting in his death to pay for our sins. This was His main reason for coming to earth. Buddha taught a way of life, Jesus said He IS life, that whosover will may come to Him.