• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was Myth

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This is a pleasant video I wish all of you who do not know of the Christ Myth to watch.
[youtube]XKAHoYCWXF8[/youtube]

This video is quite comical and not exceedingly long but please watch it for giggles and its informative nature.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
I didn't watch the video, but what about reference to a man named Yeshua in the Talmund. He was accused of sorcery (aka perfroming miracles), heretic teachings (to Judaism), and many other things that are synonomous with Jesus in the Bible.

I'm not saying all the stories are true word for word, as you can definitely draw other religious archetypes from a lot of the stories of the bible, but to say Jesus was a myth in totality is a stretch for me.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I didn't watch the video, but what about reference to a man named Yeshua in the Talmund. He was accused of sorcery (aka perfroming miracles), heretic teachings (to Judaism), and many other things that are synonomous with Jesus in the Bible.

I'm not saying all the stories are true word for word, as you can definitely draw other religious archetypes from a lot of the stories of the bible, but to say Jesus was a myth in totality is a stretch for me.

Watch the video

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

I know of no such thing and considering the fact it is not directly mentioned I find this humorous. The name Jesus is pagan by origin I may add.

Curious George

Veteran Member
This is a pleasant video I wish all of you who do not know of the Christ Myth to watch.
[youtube]XKAHoYCWXF8[/youtube]

This video is quite comical and not exceedingly long but please watch it for giggles and its informative nature.

I would be curious to hear outhouse, fallingblood, and evagellous talk about this video because their knowledge of the timeframes and writings are far superior to mine. They could add to or critique the evolution of myth in a scholarly way.

Thanks for the video

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Jesus in English originates from the Latin form of the Greek name Ἰησοῦς, which is a rendering of Hebrew Yeshua or (ישוע).

:confused:

Did I miss something?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Pleasant how? If I want to see idiots spouting nonsense about topics they don't understand, I'll watch fox news.

It has no informative nature other than that the person who put it together is has no idea what he's talking about. It's laughable only because those of us who have actually read ancient Greek and Latin texts, from Plato's police state in which Homeric epics are regulated to the comical accounts of myths by Ovid, your video is just one more person making claims from ignorance.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
those who believe Jesus (more correctly Yeshua) as a Myth need to study history.
I agree about the need to study history, especially ancient historical studies, in particular. But I've never understood the reason for insisting that the Greek transliteration in the NT should be replaced by the English transliteration of the Semitic name. Both are transliterations, it just so happens that one appears in our primary sources, and the other does not. The Greek language, like most IE languages today, did not have a sound corresponding to the English (and French) "j". So why is the transliteration Yeshua somehow more correct than the Greek transliteration Ἰησοῦς?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I would be curious to hear outhouse, fallingblood, and evagellous talk about this video because their knowledge of the timeframes and writings are far superior to mine. They could add to or critique the evolution of myth in a scholarly way.

Thanks for the video
The timeline as presented is basically good, with two notable exceptions: Acts and Q. Acts was originally part of Luke, and was written at the same time as Luke -- about 85 c.e.

More important to the video's premise, however, is his mention of Q. Q is important because it shares material, not only common to Matthew and Luke, but common to Thomas, as well. Since the Thomas community was located so far from Galilee (Q territory), it is posited that Q and Thomas share a common source -- a source that was extant no later than the year 40 c.e. This would put that source less than 10 years following the crucifixion -- about 7 or so. There is one miracle story in Q: the healing of the centurion's son. Kind of refutes what the narrator said about the appearance of miracles surrounding Jesus. The miracle in Q is separated from Jesus, in that Jesus is not depicted as taking any action, rather it is the centurion's faith in Jesus that is connected to the miracle.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Pleasant how? If I want to see idiots spouting nonsense about topics they don't understand, I'll watch fox news.

It has no informative nature other than that the person who put it together is has no idea what he's talking about. It's laughable only because those of us who have actually read ancient Greek and Latin texts, from Plato's police state in which Homeric epics are regulated to the comical accounts of myths by Ovid, your video is just one more person making claims from ignorance.

Yes yes yes. So when does your trolling end exactly? Seriously stop arguing against something non existent. If I made any of the claims you made I would have defended myself. But lets just watch this Divine Comedy continue

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Most myths can be shown to have their origins in reality.
Was there an actual King Aurthur? Robin Hood? Even Hercules?
More than likely the answer is yes. But the mythical aspects of these figures are gross exaggerations of actual events.

nash8

You may add any stupid statement you wish.

I was thinking the same thing.

So are you trying to say that a man named Jesus never existed throughout the entire course of human history, or are you trying to say that the Bible has absolutely no reference to a real man, and that the name Jesus was arbitrarilly chosen to be the name for the centerpiece of the religion of Christianity.

Because if you are saying that a man named Jesus never existed, you are, in a way, saying that no person named Joshua ever existed.

nash8

And if the religion of Christianity was created based soley on a person's imagination, why would they choose the name Jesus (or Joshua, or Yeshua) as the central character. If I was going to make a religion from my imagination I could think of something way more cool than Joshua.
My guys name would be Apolozueshoruzorocaesra.

nash8

And i forgot to add quetzoshakazula. So it would be Apolozueshoruzorocaesraquetzoshakazula

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I was thinking the same thing.

So are you trying to say that a man named Jesus never existed throughout the entire course of human history, or are you trying to say that the Bible has absolutely no reference to a real man, and that the name Jesus was arbitrarilly chosen to be the name for the centerpiece of the religion of Christianity.

Because if you are saying that a man named Jesus never existed, you are, in a way, saying that no person named Joshua ever existed.
The Jesus of the Bible never existed. I have a friend named Jesus.

BrokenHearted2

вяσкєη вυт вєιηg яєѕтσяє∂
Well for not existing, Jesus still has a lot of people talking passionately about thousands of years later. I suppose I should give kudos to "Non Existent" Jesus for not disappearing into obscurity.

I never understood why you don't see many similar posts about other religious leaders and prophets. I think this hostility has more to do with those who claim to follow him than the Galilean himself.