• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonathan Haidt's moral foundations test

Secret Chief

Degrow!
That may be part of the methodology.

For these tests to have any usefulness, they can't ask only questions with obvious answers.

Everyone will prefer stable, wealthy communities where everyone accepts and understands each other if that is within grasp. But there is considerable and often surprising disagreement about how it would be possible and desirable to approach that state of things.

There are those who believe that integration of foreign values is dangerous (and in certain situations it is), while others welcome it.

There is wild dispute on how liberty and fairness relate to each other. Same among "purity" and "in-group".

Whether "authority" is even a value at all is quite the can of worms in itself.
To clarify... I meant as part of the same question, not between questions.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To clarify... I meant as part of the same question, not between questions.
Fair enough. But I truly believe that may be intentional. Some questions will be more ambiguous by design in order to measure, among other things, how confusing they are and how that confusion may correlate to other answers.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I had some issues regarding some the questions not resulting in fair enough consquences...and some the questions were too black and white
That's not the biggest problem - as someone schooled in survey methodology a bunch of their questions are double-barreled. That's a huge no-no in survey design. Double-barreled questions are two questions mashed together into a single question where the respondents could reasonably go one way on part of the question and another on the other part of the question. The result is a respondent confused what they should select, because they agree with one part and disagree with the other - and then bad data. The presence of double-barreled questions may be why you felt things were too black and white.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
chart.png
Not terribly surprised.

Heyo

Veteran Member
This test is based on moral foundations theory, a psychological theory that claims to explain political differences. I've no real opinion on how accurate or useful it is, but I'm interested in hearing results of people of RF. Take the test here here.

These are the six 'foundations' of morality that purportedly determine one's politics.

These were my results:

View attachment 87801

I don't consider myself to be particularly political, but my Purity score I believe definitely puts me in the conservative camp.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 07-11-29 Moral Foundations Test.png

Not exactly what I would have expected but close enough.
I guess my "liberty" score is that low because I'm not radical enough to allow people to endanger other people's liberty with their liberty?
I have no clue what brought my "purity" above my "In-group", though.