• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judging God

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Questioning and wondering is fine but 'judging' shows a lack of intelligence in knowing your limited perspective.

I may come to agree with that someday, but not until and unless I learn that there is a God that knows better than me.

Definitely not the case in the past, present or foreseeable future.

Gehennaite

I'll criticize God - without a doubt. I've experienced & witnessed more than my fair share of reality, and I'm doing everything within my power to try and redevelop reality into something greater; which I admit isn't even plausible, but I'll continue to fight for it.

God needs to redeem Itself... and I'm expecting my mind to be thoroughly blown by this redemption, because as I see it there is no way in hell it is happening.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I may come to agree with that someday, but not until and unless I learn that there is a God that knows better than me.

Definitely not the case in the past, present or foreseeable future.

I agree and judging does show a lot of intelligence, especially something like a god that has no proof at all, well that's how I see it.

chinu

chinu
Is it sinful to judge God or is it simply meaningless? I often hear that a man can't judge God - but never fully understood if that was because we're not one to question the superior, or if it was just something wrong to do.
Judging God isn't sinful. In fact there's no other big holy work than judging God (No matter in whatever way you judge "Him" )

Judging-God in any way is equal to meditation done by unconscious-mind. :)

God loves the person who memorize "Him" in any way.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's important to try to understand God and of course we should be able to judge him/her/it. I don't think it's sinful to think critically. Btw, even if we conclude that God is good, that is a judgement. But we have to think about it to come to that conclusion. And if we are able to think about it, we could come to another conclusion.

One thing that any person should consider is that we can only judge based on the information provided- which will always be limited.

Another thing that I personally believe is that God does not become offended so even if I try to be offensive, I don't think he would care.

Judge away.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I judge concepts of deity. For example, there's plenty of things that the Biblical god is said to have done that I find to be abhorrent.

I was going to say the same thing. I judge concepts - human interpretations or projections. I think the ultimate source, the divinity, is indescribable.

I think it's important to try to understand God and of course we should be able to judge him/her/it. I don't think it's sinful to think critically. Btw, even if we conclude that God is good, that is a judgement. But we have to think about it to come to that conclusion. And if we are able to think about it, we could come to another conclusion.

One thing that any person should consider is that we can only judge based on the information provided- which will always be limited.

Another thing that I personally believe is that God does not become offended so even if I try to be offensive, I don't think he would care.

Judge away.

Ditto on that too. :)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is it sinful to judge God or is it simply meaningless? I often hear that a man can't judge God - but never fully understood if that was because we're not one to question the superior, or if it was just something wrong to do.
I think the more basic question is it wrong for us to judge another, period? I think the answer is yes. It diminishes us when we assume we truly understand another well enough to pass judgment upon them. It is a self-defense mechanism to artificially elevate ourselves as we stand over another, shutting ourselves off from Wisdom and compassion.

But of course there is "judgment", in meaning an evaluation of something as good or bad, as was pointed out. And that's kind of common sense. But when it says "judge not lest you be judged", it's not talking about basic discernment, but rather judging in the sense of summarizing another's worth. The attitude that does the latter cuts one off from themselves, and leaves them as the one judged.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I agree and judging does show a lot of intelligence, especially something like a god that has no proof at all, well that's how I see it.
It seems to me that judging something whose existence you reject is a sign of perverse confusion, not intelligence.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

What kind of judgement ?accusations,reprimands,questioning.

What the benefit of judging God if you realize that he does exist ?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A Jewish parable …
At the young age of fifteen, Elie Wiesel lived in a horrible place called Auschwitz. In his memoirs about this “hell on earth,” Wiesel tells a fascinating story about a Talmud teacher who befriended the young Elie, took him to his barracks, and told him that he would witness one of the greatest trials in all of world history: The Trial of God. Three rabbis, all prisoners in Auschwitz and witnesses to the daily death machine of the Nazis, decided that it was time to place God on trial.

They formed a rabbinic court (Bet Din), and conducted the trial completely in accordance with Halakha (Jewish Law). They gathered evidence against God, building a strong case against the “Holy One Blessed Be He.” The trial lasted several days, with the judges giving all those who wished a chance to speak their minds. Witnesses were heard, painful personal testimonies were given, and in the end, young Elie remarked in amazement how none of the witnesses even remotely defended God.

It was time to issue a ruling, and the rabbinic court pronounced a unanimous verdict: “The Lord God Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth – guilty of crimes against creation, against humanity and against His own Chosen People of Israel.” Soon after this painful judgment was pronounced, followed by a reaction from the people that Wiesel describes as an “infinity of silence,” the rabbi presiding over the rabbinic court looked up to the sky, saw that the sun had set, and that the darkness of night was upon the world. This rabbi, who had just indicted God and pronounced Him guilty of crimes, looked towards the silenced crowd and said “Come, my friends, it is time to pray the evening prayer.”

- source

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
So should people do something just because God commands it? What if what God commands is considered immoral by human standards?

First you must decide if you believe it's really God's command and not just some humans claiming it's God's command.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Stuck in this container of meat, there will be moments of ....dismay.

And when you consider the condition of Man (yourself included)....
you might well indeed question the situation....
and the God that has the ability to make it all go away.

I have however decided....
This life is intended to cause difficulty.
The difficulty leads to self discipline.

We know of ourselves a well disciplined person can out perform anyone lacking the will to get on with it.

I suspect the next life requires a GREATER willfulness.

After all, If you can't be trusted with lesser things....
how then to be trusted with anything greater?

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
Judging God(s) is pointless in my opinion. Either they are Supreme or they are a cultural fiction. In either case, the judgement is wasted.

Now judging the religions that worship God(s), that is well worth doing. Religions are human made constructs and their attitudes and actions directly affect people. People can, and should, judge the worthiness of religions. That is something one can commend, or speak out against to good purpose.

The trick here is to judge fairly. Criticism against another religion simply because it is not your religion is wrong. Criticizing (or commending) a religion because of the actions of its adherents, that is a proper goal.

kashmir

Questioning and wondering is fine but 'judging' shows a lack of intelligence in knowing your limited perspective.

True that.

Why does it seem that the majority who claim it's ok to judge God, don't even believe he exists in the first place? :confused:
These same people debate the Bible as if its true to them, but in reality its fiction to them.