• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Teach Geography!

kevmicsmi

http://www.850koa.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=news_worthy.xml

Here is about 20 minutes of a taped "lecture" from a "teacher" in a high school geography class here in Colorado. What should happen to this moron if anything? I personally believe he noods to be punished somehow, I am sick of these teachers with captive audienves trying to indoctrinate students...Especially when it doesnt even pertain to the subject matter!

Thoughts?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
What is he saying?

I can't download the file... could you give a synapsis(sp), please?

From what you have said... I believe that teachers who go off on rants not pertaining to the subject material should get one warning... and then get fired the next time...

kevmicsmi

Mister Emu said:
What is he saying?

I can't download the file... could you give a synapsis(sp), please?

From what you have said... I believe that teachers who go off on rants not pertaining to the subject material should get one warning... and then get fired the next time...

Sorry Mister Emu

This 20 minute rant was an anti American, sympathetic to terrorists, anti Israel speech, talking about our "cocaine addict president" is in charge of the most violent country on earth, capitalism is at odds with human rights, etc, etc, etc.

Personally, I dont care if I agreed with everything he was saying, he is supposed to be a geography teacher in high school! Please leave the off topic diatribe at home teachers!

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
The only major problem I have is that the teacher is not letting the students discuss and debate what he is saying. I remember being in high school (10+ years ago) and remeber getting of topic MANY tmes as the result of a spirted debate on something brought up in the lesson. In this case I only hear one student question him. In fact, I find that more disturbing, that debate and questioning are dissapearing from our education system (even colleges).

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
The only major problem I have is that the teacher is not letting the students discuss and debate what he is saying. I remember being in high school (10+ years ago) and remeber getting of topic MANY tmes as the result of a spirted debate on something brought up in the lesson. In this case I only hear one student question him. In fact, I find that more disturbing, that debate and questioning are dissapearing from our education system (even colleges).

I agree. My favourite high school class was Chemistry- not because of chemistry, I almost failed that class- but because the teacher (who was an AMAZING teacher) ENGAGED us in debate about chemistry in the real world. I can remember our debates about pollution and nuclear energy and the fact we wanted to hear what we thought and not just tell us what he thought.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I love it when a passionate teacher goes off on a rant, as long as s/he's open to feedback from his "captive audience."

kevmicsmi

Seyorni said:
I love it when a passionate teacher goes off on a rant, as long as s/he's open to feedback from his "captive audience."

If this was a debate class, then I agree, or a class on world politics, but it is a geography class. Now I agree some debate is ok, however, it is this teacher's school policy to present a balanced point of views on all controversial topics, and I dont think this guy did that here

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I don't have a problem at all with teachers who encourage some debate in their class, and if we are to be honest, geography is not just a study of national capitols, it is the study of people, civilizations, regional affiliations, etc. So, to bring up topics such as why Afghanis act the way they do and believe what they do, is right along the lines of the class he is teaching. What I do have a problem with is a teaching, passing along to young and imprssionable minds, rhetoric and opinion that is out in left field. I have a feeing that he may feel some sense of power and control over these young people and gets off a little bit on being able to convince them that America is the devil and comparing the American Flag to the Nazi Flag.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good point, Buddy. Geography includes political geography, not just physical.

Rather than castigating the Geo teacher, though, perhaps they should encourage the Republican Gym teacher to go off on a right-wing rant. That should balance things out. :D