• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JW: Losing on the Internet Front?

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I don't know, nor am I on friendly terms with any JWs.
So this is a happy thing for me. Maybe they wont come to my door now.
When I lived with my parents, they were welcome in our house.
The conversations about "the greatness of our lord" annoyed me to no end.
Especially because they would say it every other sentence.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I don't know, nor am I on friendly terms with any JWs.
So this is a happy thing for me. Maybe they wont come to my door now.
When I lived with my parents, they were welcome in our house.
The conversations about "the greatness of our lord" annoyed me to no end.
Especially because they would say it every other sentence.

Oh no...if you are in a western nation you are still fair game :p

I like JWs for the most part because they stick to words and door-knocking. Could be a lot worse. They also tend to be more lifestyle oriented than the majority - ala "Sunday Christians" who just pay it lip-service or pull it out of their pockets for special occasions. I respect that.

David1967

Premium Member
[QUOTE"Carlita, post: 4480373, member: 55631"]Wow. Now that's sad. I'd think the purpose, in a christian view, to talk to other faiths is to help "others" come to their faith. Counter productive[/QUOTE]
Thing Is, they dont want their people thinking about things other than their particular teachings. And thinking outside our comfort zones is what we tend to inspire here. ImHO

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Oh no...if you are in a western nation you are still fair game :p

I like JWs for the most part because they stick to words and door-knocking. Could be a lot worse. They also tend to be more lifestyle oriented than the majority - ala "Sunday Christians" who just pay it lip-service or pull it out of their pockets for special occasions. I respect that.

I suppose.
But they always had this dead inside look in their eyes.
Like their personality is being suppressed.
I hate talking to people like that, that form of dishonesty gets to me.

At least they have good lifestyles, I guess.
But until they fix the 'half my personality belongs to my religion' thing, I don't care to talk with them.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I suppose.
But they always had this dead inside look in their eyes.
Like their personality is being suppressed.
I hate talking to people like that, that form of dishonesty gets to me.

At least they have good lifestyles, I guess.
But until they fix the 'half my personality belongs to my religion' thing, I don't care to talk with them.

I get what you mean...I don't like that aspect much.

Wherenextcolumbus

It's only because my dad grew up as a JW and my mum studied with them at certain points and I did too briefly at 2 points in my life that I have a particular stick up my a*se about the organisation but trust me there are other religious groups who heavily regulate media and even more so.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Just read this article: http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/202015244

It seems the leadership no longer wants its members interacting online. Could it be that their numbers are dropping as internet communities cause doubt or disprove certain JW's positions? That is what I took from it. They are losing the online information war, and they are now in full retreat.
Based on the linked article, it appears to be a warning about witnessing to those in countries where such actions are illegal.
Not the umbrella "do not use the internet" you make it out to be.

Unification

It seems the leadership no longer wants its members interacting online. Could it be that their numbers are dropping as internet communities cause doubt or disprove certain JW's positions? That is what I took from it. They are losing the online information war, and they are now in full retreat.

Unfortunate. Hopeful some will escape the bonds, chains, laws, and control of the institution and be liberated.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

If you read the article, you'd have your answer. It had nothing to do with doubt, but potential legal repercussions where they are restricted or banned.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
The JWs melt in any discussion of failed prophecies, and because of the Internet that is the likely the first conversation any non-JW will have with them. But, that is the magic of having a cult -- you can forbid them foods, sexual practices or relations, and even force them to hide in caves so they will not be polluted by reason. I think most branches of Christianity exist to make peoples lives miserable, but JW takes it to a whole new level.

Princeps Eugenius

JW's are cool. I had a small "debate" with JW at the door step 3 weeks ago for like half an hour and we talked about god, free will, determinism and omniscience and omnipotence. They told me that they would come back sometime in the future. But they havent come back since :(. The small brochure they left me didnt satisfy my questions and objections at all. (Also they were 2 women and one of them was f*cking hot as f*ck)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If you read the article, you'd have your answer. It had nothing to do with doubt, but potential legal repercussions where they are restricted or banned.
Sensible people don't believe everything they read on the internet. Especially when it contradicts the evidence.
The RF JWs left because they were told to do so. That is about all the evidence I have for why they did.
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
Didn't see a thing about legal repercussions, potential or otherwise.

What I see as the motivating factor is the lack of success in convincing others, AND the shellacking their arguments continually got. Personally, I think that those who left RF here used the cited JW response as an excuse to bail. :shrug:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Didn't see a thing about legal repercussions, potential or otherwise.
You didn't read it then.
Furthermore, in lands where the Kingdom work is restricted or under ban, correspondence might be monitored by the authorities. Such communication could endanger the local brothers and sisters. Therefore, publishers should not go online to seek out people from another country with whom to share the good news.
Nevertheless, if he lives in a land where our work is restricted or banned, great caution should be used when Bible topics are discussed by letter, telephone, or electronic means.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You didn't read it then.
Furthermore, in lands where the Kingdom work is restricted or under ban, correspondence might be monitored by the authorities. Such communication could endanger the local brothers and sisters. Therefore, publishers should not go online to seek out people from another country with whom to share the good news.
Nevertheless, if he lives in a land where our work is restricted or banned, great caution should be used when Bible topics are discussed by letter, telephone, or electronic means.
All I see are admonitions not to go online to seek out people from other countries. Nothing about legal repercussions, potential or otherwise.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It clearly states "restricted or under ban."
But nothing about any legal repercussions. As for being "restricted or under ban" this is because "correspondence might be monitored by the authorities." Nothing about any legal repercussions. You seem to be reading more into it than warranted.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.

I did read it...duh.

As others have said, apparently many JWs from here quoted that exact article as to why they left. Must be something to it, eh?