• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids of lesbians have fewer behavioral problems, study suggests

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Come to think of it, we should have expected as much.

Having two loving mothers is something to look forward to. And the pregnancies being mostly planned doesn't hurt either.

And of course, actually getting to choose one's own father figure is something of a blessing as well. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
That doesn't surprise me. It's been known that the children of homosexual parents, other than facing social problems, do not have any real problems more than children of heterosexual parents.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
That doesn't surprise me. It's been known that the children of homosexual parents, other than facing social problems, do not have any real problems more than children of heterosexual parents.

True, but this study suggests that a household led by a lesbian couple is preferable for children as oppposed to a straight couple.

That's why it piques my interest. :)

Smoke

Done here.
I posted that on my Facebook page just before you posted it here, though I posted the U.S. News article which is headlined "Kids With Lesbian Parents Do Just Fine."

Nothing magical about it; the article noted that lesbians are very involved parents. So there's hope for straight parents, too.

It also noted that it was expected that the results would be similar for gay male parents, who are also very involved, plus relatively unlikely to be parents unless they're affluent.

Interesting that the article had 8 comments an hour ago and has 37 now.

Also interesting that after years of calumnizing gay parents as unfit, Christian extremists have no trouble dismissing the relevancy of children. Rich in MA says, "However the outcome of the children and their health does not validate a lifestyle. ... The question is whether or not homosexuality is right or wrong." :rolleyes:

MissAlice

Regardless of sexual orientation, I think it's a well known fact that women make better parents than men.

*dodges the rotten tomatoes being thrown*
Sonic1.gif

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
True, but this study suggests that a household led by a lesbian couple is preferable for children as oppposed to a straight couple.
I know I risk being blasted for saying this, but considering the differences between men and women, with how women tend to be better behaved and more secure than men, this study really doesn't surprise me. And being able to have to parents to receive emotional support from, rather than one for emotional support and one for a "suck it up" approach, I would have found it interesting if the study found the opposite.

Last edited:

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I would hazard a guess that the data shows lesbians as better parents because a lesbian couple needs to commit themselves to having and raising a child. Just like there are studies that show adopted children are generally better off than children raised by their biological parents. It is an example of correlation, not causation.

Smoke

Done here.
I would hazard a guess that the data shows lesbians as better parents because a lesbian couple needs to commit themselves to having and raising a child. Just like there are studies that show adopted children are generally better off than children raised by their biological parents. It is an example of correlation, not causation.

Of course it is. There are lots of lesbians who wouldn't be any better at parenting than straight people are. But they don't tend to have kids.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
In all seriousness, I feel sure that the #1 factor has little to do with gender--it's the planned, desired child. It's a world where people think hard about whether to have a child, then get all the pieces together they're going to need to raise the child--house, financial stability, support structure, etc.--then they start trying to get pregnant or adopt. That's the lesbian parenting world, so this finding does not surprise me in the least, and I predict that when it's done, the research about gay men will be very similar.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

I agree with you, but in this case the correlation has a causal component. Cuz the thing about lesbians is, they don't get pregnant by accident--because they're lesbians. So in a way, lesbianism does "cause" better parenting, but only indirectly.