• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knife making and cutlery :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For me, cutlery just has to be pleasant to use and able to go in the dishwasher :) Not the ones I want to make obviously, as that is more for fun than anything else.

When it comes to kitchen knives, I do like Zwilling knives, they seem to be of good quality and not too expensive. And they have professional knives as well which are slightly more expensive if you are looking for higher quality. But I think they have a nice design and are good for everyday use. But obviously, you should never put them in a dishwasher as it can destroy the handle.

Zwilling knives
I like my vintage Sabatier knives.
(@ChristineM will give me grief for liking French slicers.)
They're plain carbon steel, which sharpens better than stainless steel.
And the vintage ones are lighter & thinner than modern fare.
They require some care...no dishwashers, or leaving them lying around wet.
I got my big one once at a garage sale for around a buck.
This one is $90 on ebay...
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@ChristineM will give me grief for liking French slicers.
No i won't, you want to use the good stuff then it's fine with me.

Edit. I cannot fault you for preferring superior cast iron

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No i won't, you want to use the good stuff then it's fine with me.
I know there are other great knives out there.
I just fell into vintage Sabatiers by chance.
Too many modern fancy knives have that
fashionable heavy blade & bolster design.
Needless weight.
Japanese knives look good.
But for smaller knives, I like ceramic ones
cuz they're cheap & sharp.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've ground down old tools like chisels into camping knives. One of them is over two decades old and is my go-to camping knife! I don't have any real tips since I am not an expert, but I don't think it's a bad idea.
Rather than grinding them down, which is a lot
of work to remove a lot of material, I advise
heating & forging them into shape. Old files
are great for this. All are high carbon steel,
which takes & holds an edge very well.

Nimos

I like my vintage Sabatier knives.
(@ChristineM will give me grief for liking French slicers.)
They're plain carbon steel, which sharpens better than stainless steel.
And the vintage ones are lighter & thinner than modern fare.
They require some care...no dishwashers, or leaving them lying around wet.
I got my big one once at a garage sale for around a buck.
This one is $90 on ebay...
s-l1600.jpg
If you take care of them, they can pretty much last forever.

You could try to see if you could find a laser cleaner if you want to restore it? (Just make sure it doesn't hurt the knife)

Heyo

Veteran Member

You could try to see if you could find a laser cleaner if you want to restore it? (Just make sure it doesn't hurt the knife)

Or you can do it the traditional way: first a bath in vinegar, then increasingly finer sandpaper (or steel wool). Finish up on a polishing wheel and preserve with a drop of oil. (Ballistol being among the best.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I like the patina on me old knives.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I stole a pizza hut knife once, grinded down the sides to a toothpick type point and drilled 3 holes in the handle. That was my first attempt. I was 15 or 16 years old. I ended up going a similar route with other types of steel. First cheap store-bought steel you find at Lowes or Home Depot. It's a mild carbon, so it won't take an edge, but it's difficult to break ... Not too difficult to bend though. I ended up going with files and doing the same grinding/polishing technique. They turned out ok, but too high carbon not to break, even after attempting to anneal. My next venture will be with an anvil and forge and mallet, and I'll likely utilize railroad anchors and clips. They say they're a bear to flatten and shape, but this means it's really great steel for the task. I have the steel, the anvil, the mallet (one of them) but no forge, yet. I intend to get on with my curiosity in blacksmithing/blade smithing eventually. For now, I'm too busy with other mandated and self-imposed obligations.