• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knowing the mind.

lemo

It is often said, that whatever a person says in his dream is much more real and authentic than what he says whens he's awake. Are we just merely covering up our real selfs in our existence by smiles,sticking some good thoughts on the surface, when really the fire is burning within ?.
Somebody once ask Jimmy, "you're always laughing, and you're always joyous> Do you really feel this way?"
Jimmy said, " now that you have asked, I laugh so that I don't cry, before I start crying, I suppress it by laughing. My laughing also convince others that I'm happy".

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
We act differently with different people... but I'm not so sure it's as simple as hiding who we really are from others as that would require knowledge of the self. I spend a great deal of time alone, and yet I have no idea who I am... I can't even decide what my favourite colour is, let alone hide this from others.

The more you wonder about who you are, the more you realise there is no permanent, "you".

RiverSeed

Plodding Along
I think what is authentic is what you choose to make authentic. What you deal with as "authentic" and what you choose to make important, is important, because that is what is what is right underneath your feet.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
I can't remember the last time I had a dream that I didn't realize was a dream, at least at some eventual point.

First of all, I don't remember many of my dreams. Maybe it is because I don't take them seriously enough. I know there have been some pretty influential psychologists and human behavioral experts, Sigmund Freaud among the most noted, who put a lot of value in dreams as indicators of what is really going on in the mind.

Secondly, as I have gotten older, I have more and more of a tendency to reach a particular point while dreaming in which I recognize the events for what they are--fictional dreams. It seems this is more likely if the dream is building to extremes of good or bad. In other words, if I am about to get in a hottube with the entire Tennessee Titans Cheerleading Staff, something in my mind says, "This is just a dream." But that also happens if I am about to be murdered by the entire Tennessee Titans Cheerleading staff.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't know but, is it possible that when we are asleep, the Ego of the mind is not at work, and the real Self is awake ?

Well, notice how these kinds of questions occur when your awake and leaves you wondering, musing, and guessing over it. Notice as well how the reference "Ego of the mind" and "the real Self is awake" is relayed here in a third person vernacular.

My understanding and experience is that mind cannot think mind directly, much like the eye cannot see itself directly, but you obviously still think and see. The truth of this is made clear through directness rather than intellectual musings which at best becomes a rather muddled up reflection that could cause unnecessary distractions.
-NM-

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I don't know but, is it possible that when we are asleep, the Ego of the mind is not at work, and the real Self is awake ?
Does it really matter? It is my conscious mind, with input from my unconcious, that informs who I am and what I do. It is very much real. If our "dream mind" has a similar existence in "dream world", then it is just as real in its own dimension. Both would make up who we are, and both would equally be "I".

From what I know about dreaming, however, it seems like they are mainly for aiding our ability to remember what we have learned throughout the day, and integrate it with our previous memories and knowledge. Not so much a separate "self", as an important aspect and tool of our physical being.

The last dream I remember having was about a month ago or so. I saw this person throwing up blood. And that was the end of the dream, very short and simple.

When I woke up I knew exactly what it meant. And just to see if there was confirmation, I even looked it up in a dream interpreter online. And it meant the SAME THING!

What it meant I believe according to me and this dream interpreter is that there are some concepts that I just cannot stomach, they make me sick.

And that was the reality going on inside me at that period.