• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Labeling children as a member of a particular religion is immoral

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
If you're going to say that religious upbringings are generally positive, then when we consider whether it's true that an (insert religion here) upbringing is positive, the answer should be "yes" the vast majority of the time.
I think they are.
Southern Baptists aren't representative of all religion, but they're very much part of the spectrum, and aren't even at the extreme end of that spectrum (at least in North America).
Oh, so now there's a spectrum, meaning that it's true that not all (possibly not even "most" in that spectrum) are guilty of your accusations. Just because a minority of priests perp on kids doesn't mean that the vast majority of clergy perp on kids. But let's just do away with them all, based on a "generality."
Labelling a child with a religion that he or she has not intellectually assented to and freely chosen is disrespectful.
No it isn't no more so than labeling a child with a family that s/he hasn't intellectually consented to or freely chosen. You seem to be under the misapprehension that all things must be "chosen."
Teaching a child that Hell is the punishment for disbelief is intimidating.
Yes, but not all religions do that. Most don't.
Neither of these are universal to all religious upbringings, but both are common enough that they can't be reasonably ignored.
Yes, but let's give them their due attention, instead of vilifying all religious upbringings.
So you don't dispute that these events are part of "what's going on when parents include their children in religion", but choose not to address this. So be it.
I didn't say they weren't "part of what's going on." I said they weren't the major reason for this thread. Do try to keep up.
Indoctrination | Define Indoctrination at Dictionary.com
We rarely use words according to dry definitions. "Indoctrination" is most often used as a negative buzz-word when intimidation, violence and conditioning are involved. So, what you're really doing is changing horses in the middle of the stream. You cite "indoctrination" as a bad thing ("we shouldn't subject our children to religious indoctrination"), yet, when pressed, you resort to the strict dictionary definition, hoping to involve all religious teaching within the scope of that "bad thing." How dishonest of you to do that.
When most people use the term "indoctrination," they mean it in the way I outlined above. I posit that not all religious upbringing is such indoctrination.
Are you now only arguing for upbringing in doctrine-free religions?
Nope. I'm merely pointing out that not all religions have doctrine, thus negating your argument.