• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Lack of belief"

I'm not religious, so am not shilling for anything.

There are academic studies that show religious people are happier than non-religious people. I've never looked into them that much, so am not going to comment too much on them, but they do exist and I have seen them cited in more than one non-religious academic texts (off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure they are referred to in at least one article by Scott Atran).

Whether or not these studies stand up to a greater degree of scrutiny, I don't know as I've not really looked. They do exist though in a secular academic context.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2012/04/are-religious-people-happier-atheists
http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcom...evers-more-depressed-than-atheists-study.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...nal-statistics-well-being-data_n_9138076.html

Agondonter

Agondonter said: Not everything is reducible to ideas.

JW said: Nonsensical statement.

Agondonter says: 'Nuff said. Even the ancients knew better. Anyone who is at all cognizant of life and thinks knows that not everything is reducible to an idea. Nevertheless, ideas, through the medium of language, is the means by which we communicate.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not religious, so am not shilling for anything.

There are academic studies that show religious people are happier than non-religious people. I've never looked into them that much, so am not going to comment too much on them, but they do exist and I have seen them cited in more than one non-religious academic texts (off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure they are referred to in at least one article by Scott Atran).

Whether or not these studies stand up to a greater degree of scrutiny, I don't know as I've not really looked. They do exist though in a secular academic context.
Well, that's all well and good if you look at religion as a psychotherapeutic modality; as an opiate of the people, but the religious are very insistent that religion is ontological Truth, and that correct belief is vital.
I'm sure many people find great comfort in rosy fantasies. If this is the function of religion any convenient mythology will do, but when you start insisting the fantasy is true you take on a burden of proof you might find hard to manage.

Last edited:

serp777

Well, that's all well and good if you look at religion as a psychotherapeutic modality; as an opiate of the people, but the religious are very insistent that religion is ontological Truth, and that correct belief is vital.
I'm sure any people find great comfort in rosy fantasies. If this is the function of religion any convenient mythology will do, but when you start insisting the fantasy is true you take on a burden of truth you might find hard to manage.

Yeah this is going to fall on deaf ears. No one considers their outlandish beliefs to be a fantasy. They think you're the one living in a fantasy, and they're correct, even if they've changed their position like 10 times.

Kartari

Hi Guy,

Breaking this up into 2 posts (I'm hitting the 12000 character post limit, lol).

sorry for this long post, but you asked lots of very interesting questions!

:D

There are few things more subjective than 'evidence' .

Well, this is a little silly to say. Some disciplines are more subjective than others regarding interpretations of the evidence. History and psychology are more subjective endeavors, for instance. But within the hard sciences, peer-reviewed research is as objective as it gets for humanity.

That said, the facts are still the facts, regardless of opinions and interpretations. If the evidence tells us the Earth revolves around the Sun, wishing that the apparent movement of the Sun across the sky means the Sun revolves around the Earth has absolutely no effect on the factual reality that the Earth goes around the Sun.

The concept of a creation event for space/time/matter itself was originally rejected and mocked as 'religious pseudoscience' and 'big bang' by atheists explicitly because of what they saw as overt theistic/supernatural implications. This 'evidence for the supernatural' mysteriously vanished when the theory was proven beyond reasonable doubt.

The Big Bang vs Steady State debate of more than several decades ago remained up in the air for a time due to the lack of evidence for the Big Bang It had nothing to do with the subjective feelings of "atheist" scientists (whatever that's supposed to mean). When that evidence was discovered, Lemaitre himself disliked when the Pope declared his theory to be proof for Catholicism. He rightly discerned that not only had his theory not proven religious creationism, but he advised that the Pope refrain from making scientific predictions.

As for your "evidence for the supernatural," what the heck are you talking about? This does not at all constitute evidence for the supernatural. Since the supernatural is defined as being "beyond nature," to prove it is real you must (a) prove that there can exist something beyond nature and (b) demonstrate the existence of at least one aspect of this existence. I propose that the very notion of the supernatural as beyond nature is preposterously unintelligible. What exactly can a person even imagine to be beyond nature? What exactly does that mean, really? It's just a superfluous notion with no real substance.

Some think of the supernatural as covering natural events that have yet to be naturally explained. That's all well and good, but we're not talking about non-natural events anymore, but rather natural events... which brings us back to square one concerning what is intended by supernatural claims such as God (unless perhaps if you're a pantheist).

The supernatural exists within the human imagination yes. i.e. creative intelligence has a unique capacity for creation that nature alone never can. It is in itself super-natural in that it transcends the 'natural' confines, limitations of an infinite regression of cause and effect.

We can create stories, books, fiction, yes, and that same power creates functional practical objects that have no possible natural explanation.

That's not exactly what I was saying. The supernatural is an imaginary (and, as shown, nonsensical) concept in itself. That's what I meant to say. We can imagine the word supernatural and its superficial implication of being beyond the natural. But we cannot clearly define what that means. Nor can we demonstrate one supernatural thing to have existence in reality, nor even clearly identify how we can demonstrate a supernatural event in reality. Indeed, the very definition of the term precludes our ability to discover the answers to these questions (i.e. using natural means of identifying the supernatural, such as electromagnetic detectors to find ghosts, or brains to think about the supernatural, is all futile since the supernatural, by definition, is *BEYOND* the natural).

As for the contents of our minds and imaginations being "supernatural" simply because they can conceive of things beyond what is known... that does not at all follow. The brain is a natural organ. Its contents are the products of the brain, a natural organ. All we conceive, regardless of how boundless it may be, is therefore natural in origin.

If I were forced to account for the existence of my cell phone without involvement of an intelligent being... I could first propose that it always existed, no creation = no creator ( static/ steady state/ the original naturlaist explanation for the universe) Once this was debunked by finding a creation date on the phone, I'd be forced to propose that it still needed no creator because it created itself from it's own parts (Big Crunch). Once this was debunked, the last possible explanation would be that it was created by an infinite probability machine along with every other possible object (multiverse)

If this is an attempt to demonstrate the "argument from complexity" logical fallacy, well... it's logically fallacious. It is illogical to claim "Life is complex, therefore God did it." The very analogy to a cell phone is furthermore a very poor analogy. This is because there is no such apparent design when we examine the natural evolution of biological life as there is when we examine human technology like cell phones. An informed study of biology is in order to understand this... frankly, I do not have the time to give a biology lesson.

Honestly, if you think this is a valid analogy, then the real problem in this debate, imho, is that you really need a refresher on biology before we can proceed any further, sorry to say.

naturalist theories have constantly retreated from the evidence, into the gaps, the shadows where the light of science has not yet shone, and have now moved altogether beyond the inconvenience of scientific study.

An empty claim, in light of the superficiality of your "evidence" thus far presented.

I've seen a number of similar arguments. One person argued with me that fruit could not have been evolved naturally because it was obviously designed for humans to eat. Lol! This person also argued that trees were designed to be made from wood because God knew we would need wood to build homes from. Do you see how ridiculous these arguments are? Another naive argument I've seen a few times is the "complexity of eyes" argument. By understanding the many small steps it took over hundreds of millions of years to get from the simplest light sensitive organ to the modern complex eyes, and how survival helped ensure the continuation and continual adaption and improvement of eyes WITHOUT any intelligent guidance required, coupled by all the oddball aspects of living "designs" that do NOT make sense to include from a purely design standpoint (e.g. consider all the myriad of ways human bodies fail us or wear down, as well as the various useless or less useful aspects of our bodies, such as the appendix, wisdom teeth which often cause more problems than they're worth, etc., etc.), you become acutely aware of just how superficial a scientific education is required to make an intelligent designer seem like a plausible requirement to make all of this happen.

Indeed, you speak of "naturalist theories" as if non-natural or supernatural "theories" existed. There are none, not in a scientifically valid sense of theory at least. Remember that a scientific theory is a proven hypothesis, not a made-up and imagined idea someone dreamt of (e.g. like Creationism). Religion offers us nothing but imagined scenarios when it comes to understanding biology and universal origins.

While The priest Lemaitre's primeval atom remains supported, empirical, testable, observable

True. But Lemaitre's theory does not support the claims you think it does, as explained above.

As above we have evidence of both creative intelligence and natural cause and effect creating things within the universe, we have no empirical evidence for either creating the universe itself.

You have not provided valid evidence though, as explained. The only evidence of creative intelligence we have pertains to human creative intelligence. And probably certain other animals as well, as I understand gorillas can paint and speak with sign language for instance.

The fact that we have not discovered a complete theory for universal origins means absolutely nothing as far as demonstrating the existence of the supernatural in general, or a Creator God more specifically. Indeed, we may not be very far from figuring out how life could evolve from inorganic matter, from what I understand.

And your exact same rationale could be applied to the software running this website, since it contains nothing but automated lines of code, no active creative intelligence within it, then we can deduce that the sofware wrote itself by the same method.

This is another poor analogy for the same reason as your cell phone analogy. Life is not at all clearly designed like software is, and in fact, life makes far more sense from the vantage point of evolution theory. As I wrote, a basic understanding of biology will rid you of seeing such comparisons as these as valid.

(To Be Continued...)

Last edited:

Kartari

Hi Guy,

Here is Part 2...

Same paradox for the universe.

The assertion of a 'natural' cause, says that the laws of nature were ultimately written by.... those very same laws. That's a paradox unique to naturalist belief.

Bad logic here. Just because human beings and whales are both natural creatures does not mean that humans and whales are the same being. So why would the naturalness of natural laws imply an incapacity for natural laws to govern both universal expansion and the universal state prior to the Big Bang?

Also illogical is the false dichotomy you present (yet again). The options are not limited to "universe was created supernaturally" and "universe always existed." The unvierse could have been created naturally, such as by extradimensional proccesses, such as those described as being involved in the formation of branes in M-theory. Ignoring these plausible possibilities does not lend credibility to your arguments. Yet acknowledging them does indeed impede your ability to point to Creationism as the most plausible explanation for existence. So your standing is not very solid, it seems.

like static universe, steady state, big crunch, every testable natural explanation ever proposed

It was only the literal creation of all space/time matter/energy as we can possibly ever know it. How 'creationy' can you get?!

if someone objects to the term 'creation event' for this, it's usually the implication rather than the word itself they object too

We do NOT know that the Big Bang was the creation point of the universe, as previously explained in my previous post. We only know that the known universe was in an extremely super hot and dense state 13.8 billion years ago. Making up information to fluff it up and call it a creation event only detracts from the accuracy of our knowledge.

No, it wasn't supposed to , the priest Lemaitre went out of his way to disassociate the theory with his personal beliefs. Even telling the pope to stop gloating.

IT was the naturalists and/or atheists who drew that line in the sand, it was THEY who complained of the theistic implications

As I explained, there are no theistic implications to complain about other than the imagined notions of less educated religious people who like to make stuff up that feels good to them. Lemaitre gets lots of points for understanding the difference between religious beliefs and hard science.

during which all space/time matter/energy as we can possible know it was created

As already mentioned, we do NOT know that it was created, though. It was NOT created as far as we can tell. The universe was densely packed and super hot... that is the extent of the knowledge we have on the matter. Claiming everything was created at this point is YOUR belief that your are interjecting without valid evidence. It is NOT a claim of the Big Bang theory. Science is still unable to comment meaningfully about what existed prior to the "primeval atom" state of the universe. As I wrote, God banging all into existence is but one of SEVERAL imaginable scenarios (and asserting the existence of God, in general, has its own problems as explained previously).

Just as steady state and big crunch were among several imagined natural explanations.

So far the only 'cosmogenic' theory that has been supported by evidence, was the one atheists considered as having uncomfortable implications for them

You keep stating that "atheist" scientists are uncomfortable about the supposed Creationist implications for the Big Bang theory, when in reality the Big Bang theory has NO Creationist claims inherent to it. As another religious example, Hindus can just as plausibly claim that the Big Bang theory is proof for the cyclical nature of the universe (i.e. that it perpetually is destroyed and recreated in cycles). I think the Central American indigenous peoples also had similar concepts that they could imagine the Big Bang theory "proves," of several Ages of existence delineated by the destruction and recreation of existence. None would be correct, however, including Christian notions of Creationism.

Are you willing to embrace ALL religious connotations that can be imagined to be connected with the Big Bang? Are you willing to acknowledge that such connotations, including Christian ideas of Creationism, have no support from the facts or the evidence?

I quite agree, we should follow Lemaitre's example, and separate our personal beliefs from our science
As opposed to atheists like Hoyle, who explicitly based their theories on there personal preferences for a naturalistic explanation, despite evidence to the contrary.

Again, there is no evidence for the supernatural. You have failed to demonstrate any such thing in this thread.

And there is the ultimate problem with atheism, how does a person separate a belief he refuses to acknowledge he has?

Atheism is nothing more than the disbelief in gods. Are you another one of these people who thinks all atheists are secretly theists? Lol. That's what you seem to be implying in this above quote, at least.

In summary, I think this debate cannot continue until you honestly gain more understanding of biology. I do not have the time to teach you, and quite frankly, in gaining this understanding, you will undoubtedly change your mind about evolution.

Please understand that this is not intended at all as a put down. MANY people are in the same boat as you in failing to understand biology and evolution. There is a real problem in the United States (if you are American?) concerning our educational system more generally. I was greatly disheartened recently to find that most of the people I know, as well as many on Facebook where I first saw this posed, could not correctly answer a 9th grade-level math problem, an algebra question. A lot of people continued to argue that their wrong answer was correct, even after being taught how to use the correct order of operations (i.e. PEMDAS in the US, I think it's called BEDMAS in the UK). A few thought that math was a subjective discipline, that you could do whichever order of operations one felt like doing and still arrive at a "right" conclusion... tell that to the aerospace engineers, that they can make up the rules of math when they design planes. I'm not sure whether to laugh or to cry...

Anyway, until you gain more understanding of biology, your arguments for Creationism are as simple to me as those of someone claiming that the Sun must revolve around the Earth because it appears to do so in the sky from our vantage point. To such a person, I would suggest they read up on basic astronomy and that, once understood, the debate is over... because the facts become more apparent once a person correctly understands the parameters of the problem.

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The only belief that concerns us when we talk about theism and atheism is the belief that gods exist and the absence of this belief. Everything else you write is completely irrelevant.

The argument that Augustus has been laying out is that "lack of belief" is an impossible position to have if you understand the concept being discussed.

Thus, if you understand the concept "gods exist" you CANNOT merely "lack a belief" in regards to the concept.

You must have formed some sort of belief in relation to this concept.

Such a belief could be:
God(s) exist
God(s) don't exist
I don't know whether gods exist or not.
Etc.

The point is that any of these possible responses are BELIEFS. They are not, and cannot be, merely lack of belief.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The argument that Augustus has been laying out is that "lack of belief" is an impossible position to have if you understand the concept being discussed.

Thus, if you understand the concept "gods exist" you CANNOT merely "lack a belief" in regards to the concept.

Such a belief could be:
God(s) exist
God(s) don't exist
Etc.

The point is that any of these possible responses are BELIEFS. They are not, and cannot be, merely lack of belief.
I think you are overestimating the power of abstract ideas.

Despite a tendency to lend them substance in a rote way, actual belief in them takes considerable effort. Quite a few ideas are indeed "not believed in" just because, so to speak. Having a good grasp of what is being proposed is neither frequent nor a requisite.

ArtieE

But It was the literal creation of all space/time matter /energy as we can possibly, inherently, ever know it or even study it. If you don't like the word 'creation' for this- are you sure it's the word, and not the implantation of the event itself that you dislike?
Using the word "creation" when we have no evidence that anything was "created" the neutral "came into existence" is better.
To be fair; when the observation is a highly specific unique creation event for everything we can possibly know,
It wasn't a "creation" event. It's an event that caused the existence of the universe.
without any known natural cause- that's hardly a slam dunk for naturalism is it?
Just because we don't know the cause yet it's hardly a slam dunk for theism is it?
Had any one of the naturalist- 'creation event dodging' theories turned out to be supported by evidence; static, steady state, big crunch etc- fine- we have a natural un-created explanation. But this is simply not the case.
LOL there's nothing in the big bang theory that says it must have been created by a god.

Father George Lemaître said:

"We may speak of this event as of a beginning. I do not say a creation. Physically it is a beginning in the sense that if something happened before, it has no observable influence on the behavior of our universe, as any feature of matter before this beginning has been completely lost by the extreme contraction at the theoretical zero. Any preexistence of the universe has a metaphysical character. Physically, everything happens as if the theoretical zero was really a beginning. The question if it was really a beginning or rather a creation, something started from nothing, is a philosophical question which cannot be settled by physical or astronomical considerations.23"
https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=8847

When the father of the Big Bang theory doesn't call it a creation but a beginning I'll go with that no matter your opinion.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Such a belief could be:
God(s) exist
God(s) don't exist
Etc.

It seems like you're arguing against a point that nobody is making.

Defining atheism in term of lack of belief doesn't mean that atheists lack belief; it just means that rejection of belief isn't a necessary part of atheism.

"You don't need to reject any gods to be an atheist" does NOT mean "an atheist is someone who doesn't reject any gods."

Until you recognize the distinction, you'll just be talking past everyone.

It seems like you're arguing against a point that nobody is making.

Defining atheism in term of lack of belief doesn't mean that atheists lack belief; it just means that rejection of belief isn't a necessary part of atheism.

"You don't need to reject any gods to be an atheist" does NOT mean "an atheist is someone who doesn't reject any gods."

Until you recognize the distinction, you'll just be talking past everyone.

Even using your definition, all atheists who have heard of god(s) have rejected belief in god(s) [reject = to not believe or accept as true].

This doesn't necessarily mean that they believe gods don't exist though.

[Also plenty of atheist arguments made by posters here do rely on an actual lack/absence - a non-position, not a belief, 'it's like not collecting stamps', it cannot have any potential consequences as it is literally nothing, etc.]

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Even using your definition, all atheists who have heard of god(s) have rejected belief in god(s) [reject = to not believe or accept as true].

This doesn't necessarily mean that they believe gods don't exist though.

[Also plenty of atheist arguments made by posters here do rely on an actual lack/absence - a non-position, not a belief, 'it's like not collecting stamps', it cannot have any potential consequences as it is literally nothing, etc.]
:facepalm:
Instead of trying to score points, please just go back and read my post again until you understand it.

Helpful hint: your post suggests that you don't understand it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Atheism is a non-position" does not mean "atheists do not hold any positions."

atanu

Premium Member
Well, that's all well and good if you look at religion as a psychotherapeutic modality; as an opiate of the people, .....

That is a little odd from a Vedantist. I know my religion teaches the way out of misery of bondage of mind. Moksha is the dummy but the road is peaceful too. Very opposite of the effect of opium.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This post really suggests you missed the point.

Let's just agree to believe that the other person has completely missed the point then :)
Maybe it would help if you explained what you mean by "consequence".

As an atheist, I'm not a Sikh, and my hair is shorter than it would be if I was a Sikh. I'm also not a Christian, and I tend to sleep in later on Sunday mornings than I would if I had to go to church. Are these the sort of things you mean when you talk about consequences of atheism?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Theist.Strong atheist.

Or I would lack both those beliefs. Weak atheist.Agnostic.

The point of this particular argument is that "lack of belief" isn't a possible option. You cannot apply this setting to yourself anymore-- it is closed to you because you understand the concept and you've made a conscious decision about it. "Lack of belief" is an erroneous description of your position.

Your labels up there drive home a problem with your categorization system, which I think is, at root, a widespread misunderstanding of beliefs.

Belief is not (always) the same thing as knowledge.

I can (and do) believe that gods do not exist without also claiming to know that gods do not exist.

What label covers this option?

Strong atheism is reserved for those who claim (to know) that gods don't exist. So it is not strong atheism.

It used to be weak (agnostic) atheism. But you have defined weak atheism as having neither the belief that gods exist nor the belief that gods do not exist. So it cannot be weak atheism either.

So what would you (or any others who might be reading this) label someone who believes that gods do not exist?