• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS letter on same-sex marriage

Tau

Advantageous?
for what?

Advantageous for emotional and personal development with role modelling.

Fair enough.
However, why do they HAVE to be 'parents'?

They do not have to be, but most adults in most families are parents.

Accept?
Don't you mean "believe?"
There has not been anything legit presented to 'accept'.

I accept that there is grounds if I am being logically consistent, I ve already determined that a male and female parental pair is the optimum smallest number, but we don't live in a perfect world and nature provides for that, any small social band that loves each other and cares for one another while living together classifies as a human family in my book.

Good because its my central philosophy.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Advantageous for emotional and personal development with role modelling.
What led you to this conclusion?

They do not have to be, but most adults in most families are parents.
fair enough

I accept that there is grounds if I am being logically consitent, I ve already determined that a male and female parental pair is the optimum smallest number, but we don't live in a perfect world and nature provides for that, any small social band that loves each other and cares for one another while living together classifies as a human family in my book.
what is your determination based upon?
I agree with your classification of family.

Tau

What led you to this conclusion?.

Observation, Recall.

I notice that in families without men or equilivant authoritarian figures there is disorder and the children are uncouth and ill disciplined, the single mother struggles to maintain order, especially with sons (whom are not in primeval mortal fear of their fathers:D) males require that stern voice to help form their super ego and develop into confident well adjusted young men.

Likewise some things only mothers can really do for their daughters (like being the motherly confident).

Boys base their entire perception of women on mum.
Girls base their entire perception of men on dad.

Both sexes are equally important and thus when a child has both a man and women to learn from he/she is learning about humanity.
Heterosexual parent families are the most common multi gender type of family, thats all, nature seems to favour it, why argue?

Last edited:

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Observation, Recall.

I notice that in families without men or equilivant authoritarian figures there is disorder and the children are uncouth and ill disciplined, the single mother struggles to maintain order, especially with sons (whom are not in primeval mortal fear of their fathers:D) males require that stern voice to help form their super ego and develop into confident young well adjusted young men.
If this were true I would be a completely different person than I am today.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Observation, Recall.

I notice that in families without men or equilivant authoritarian figures there is disorder and the children are uncouth and ill disciplined, the single mother struggles to maintain order, especially with sons (whom are not in primeval mortal fear of their fathers:D) males require that stern voice to help form their super ego and develop into confident young well adjusted young men.

Likwise some things only mothers can really do for their daughters (like being the motherly confident).

Both sexes are equally important and thus when a child has both a man and women to learn from he/she is learning about humanity.
Heterosexual parent families are the most common multi gender type of family, thats all, nature seems to favour it, why argue?

actually nature seems to favor single mothers as in most species where the young are cared for by a parent the mother is left to raise the kids herself after mating. Tau you're using the same argument as star and it still fails for the same reason. The argument relies on gender stereotypes that just don't fit most people.

Tau

actually nature seems to favor single mothers as in most species where the young are cared for by a parent the mother is left to raise the kids herself after mating. Tau you're using the same argument as star and it still fails for the same reason. The argument relies on gender stereotypes that just don't fit most people.

In most species?

I am discussing homo sapiens sapiens.

Humans and Chimpanzees exist in family groups and have done so for millenia, almost never solitarily.

Last edited:

Tau

Guys

The more adults of both sexes a famiy has the less relevance the sexual orientation of either one or the other parents has.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
In most species?

I am discussing homo sapiens sapiens.

Humans and Chimpanzees exist in family groups and have done so for millenia, almost never solitarily.

You said "nature seems to favor it" not "homo sapiens seem to favor it".

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Guys

The more adults of both sexes a famiy has the less relevance the sexual orientation of either one or the other parents has.

So then you agree that kids with same gender parents do just as well as as kids with opposite gendered parents.

Tau

So then you agree that kids with same gender parents do just as well as as kids with opposite gendered parents.

If there are a mix of adult genders for the children to emulate/learn from/connect.

Uncles and aunties...live in friends, gran, grandad...whatever.

The larger connected family is the ideal, but rarer due to modern economic necessity.

So yes to your question if there are a mix of gender adults living with them.

But I am not saying homosexual nuclear families are detremental, far from it.

Like i said earlier, in all effectiveness, each case by its own merit, there are greater considerations....

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I don't need to know Chinese parents to know they can be good parents. I don't have to know a Muslim family to know they are good parents. I do know adult women. I do know adult men. I do know gay men and women. I don't have to spend time in their home to understand home life. As I've said, and said, and said, I don't doubt that you are a good parent. I don't doubt that your children are well-adjusted. However, your children are lacking a father, and you set that up.
And yours are lacking additional mothering, and you set that up.

Two parents are better than one.
True.
One parent is better than none.
Also true.
But no woman can substitute for a father. And no man can substitute for a mother. There is no way in this world you can convince me that a boy is just as well off with two mothers as he would be with a mother and father.
This says it all. You are not open to evidence of any kind, whether from talking to such boys, meeting such families, reading the research. Even if every piece of evidence in the world was to the contrary, you would continue to hold to your false belief. And that is what is immoral about Mormonism in particular and religion in general--it habituates people to believing things without or even in defiance of the evidence.
Again, we are measuring quality parenting against quality parenting.
O.K., let's do that. Let's measure it. Oh yeah, a bunch of people did, and found they were functionally equivalent. But I understand that won't change your mind, because you prefer not to be confused with the facts.
Men and women are different. That fact is non-negotiable.
Correct.
That difference is there for a purpose.
This is not a fact, and is quite negotiable. This is your personal opinion, based on your religious belief, with no foundation in reality whatsoever.

Did you know that in many human societies the most important man in a boy's life is his mother's brother? These are called "matrilineal" societies and are not at all rare.
You don't need a man in your life because of your orientation. That's your choice for yourself. But you've made that choice for your children. They may have needed something different.
They may have, but they didn't Your children may have needed three parents, or a parent who's musical, or unusually patient, or who is willing to breastfeed, or any number of things that you've chosen to deprive them of. Every family provides what it does and deprives children of everything else. The question is, does that choice affect the children negatively? This one doesn't.
You want your children to fit into your choice. You want to deny that you've deprived them of anything, because you love them.
No, it's because I didn't. Remember, I had my kids by choice. If I thought that wouldn't be best for all, I wouldn't have done it.
That's understandable. But the fact is, you have.
Sorry, not a fact, a lie. Key difference: fact/lie. Night/day.
Your kids will never know what it's like to grow up with a father.
Yours will never know what it's like to grow up with two moms.
Fathers are indispensable in our society. Mothers are indispensable. Both are necessary. The loss of either is a loss to a child.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. But don't let reality spoil your false beliefs. After all, you're Mormon, so you're used to believing things in defiance of the evidence.

In addition to that, all children of gay parents, have a third parent floating out there somewhere. Does this matter to the child? Maybe yes, maybe no, but you've set this situation up with all the risks involved. Custody issues and rights of the bio-dad are all risks to the stability of that child's life. All bringing confusion into that child's life.
It's a non-issue. I assure you. Not that you would believe me, or my kids, or anyone who knows anything about it.

My point is that we, as adults, have to put children's needs before our own.
I agree. That's why it's time for you to put aside your personal prejudice and decide what's best for the children on the basis of the facts.

One of my kids is rather confused and has issues about other parents. That's the youngest and most troubled, the one born to heterosexual parents who were not available to parent her. She doesn't know where either of them is and never will, although she was with one of them till she was 2. This is a huge issue for her and will probably never be resolved satisfactorily. This is just one of the several ways that her irresponsible heterosexual parents have caused problems for her. But it's not because she has two moms now, that is completely clear and unconfusing, a source of stability and security for her. The other two have zip issues. They know exactly who their family is, and what role their biological father has in their lives. They know that they were both planned for, wanted and loved from birth. The youngest one is understandably envious of them.

While we're on the subject of deprivation, research has shown that the average mom spends more time with her children than the average dad. There are some studies that indicate that in lesbian families, the children receive more actual parenting than in heterosexual families. That is, while there may or may not be special benefits that only dads provide, there is an actual benefit that moms tend to provide, which is time with their kids. So to whatever extent kids of lesbian families are "deprived," they also receive a benefit of which kids in straight families are "deprived." I wasn't kidding when I said your kids are deprived of having two moms. It turns out that having two moms is a good thing. But I respect your choice to raise your children in that parentally deprived environment, and will not try to use it to deprive you of the right to marry. Would be nice if you could do the same.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Observation, Recall.

I notice that in families without men or equilivant authoritarian figures there is disorder and the children are uncouth and ill disciplined, the single mother struggles to maintain order, especially with sons (whom are not in primeval mortal fear of their fathers:D) males require that stern voice to help form their super ego and develop into confident well adjusted young men.

Likewise some things only mothers can really do for their daughters (like being the motherly confident).

So you've observed these problems in kids in two-parent lesbian and gay families? Because the ones I know receive outstanding parenting and have turned out great.

Orontes

Master of the Horse
Again, if I had to choose between you and the California State Supreme Court on the issue of interpretation of California law, I'm picking them over you.

Exactly, this is why this comment was apropos: "Those who allow their personal passions to invent rights and undermine the democratic process do tend to stick together."

And I don't exactly considering the enforcement of the democratically ratified California state constitution to be undermining the democratic process.

There is no gay marriage right in the California Constitution. To assert one exists and demand state compliance, absent the explicit will of the majority, is to contravene democratic principles. If gay marriage advocates want legal standing then they should convince a majority of their fellow citizens and pass legislation to that effect.

The regulation of marriage is assumed in my reply. You asked why the state would have a vested interest. That interest is in the production and fostering of the future.
That benefit is associated with marriage, not with the regulation of marriage. Try again.

Your comment doesn't relate to what you quote from me. It also errs on another level. The existence of a thing isn't the issue. The issue is does the state have a vested interest in a thing: vested interest is not the same as creation. For example, the state giving benefits for home ownership does not mean that no one would own homes if the state gave no benefits. It means the state sees such as beneficial to the state and promotes and fosters that thing.

You said the state derives a benefit. What is this benefit, exactly?

This has been explained: more citizens and an enviroment for their foster.

You noted benefits that would have occurred whether or not state sanction of marriage existed. Therefore, these benefits cannot be considered to be associated with the state sanction.

This is a perpetuation of an error already addressed earlier. As explained: The issue is does the state have a vested interest in a thing: vested interest is not the same as creation. For example, the state giving benefits for home ownership does not mean that no one would own homes if the state gave no benefits. It means the state sees such as beneficial to the state and promotes and fosters that thing.

That would depend on the state. In Western Europe up until the mid-Nineteenth Century there were fair numbers of children without parents, either through death or some other issue that lived on the margins of society. In Sub-Saharan Africa today this same issue persists.
And state sanction of marriage would influence the mortality of parents how, exactly?

Your comment doesn't connect to what you quote from me. You asked about feral children, I explained this applies to children on the margins of society. Commensurate with a marriage contract, parents are identified and held responsible from their children. Absent this legal protocol children may be abandoned etc. as has happened historically and thus left to no one's care.

No, I think you're missing the point. For a state program to have some benefit associated with it at all, the presence of that program must create some positive change. People getting married and raising a family who would have gotten married and raised a family no matter what is not a change.

Not necessarily, a state sanction may increase a thing, or maintain the existence of a thing. Regardless, the fact a state sanction exists indicates the state sees that thing as something to foster.

Again you are confused. In the U.S. the state does license marriage. It is a political reality. Whether states should be involved in marriage may be interesting to consider, but it is divorced of the situation at hand.
No, the purpose of marriage is at the very heart of the issue, since what that purpose is determines whether it's served by same-sex marriage.

The "purpose" of marriage may be distinct from state interest. State interest is the issue.

Because people are mortal. A state with negative population growth will eventually cease to exist.
One with no immigration, maybe, where that negative population growth continues until nobody's left.
I'll re-phrase: without state sanction of marriage, you'd have some population growth...

This is not the case. There are several countries, particularly in advanced economies, that have negative population growth.

I don't know of any countries with run away populations
India. China.
There - now you know two.

You are confused. According to the UN's figures, China has gone from a population growth rate in 1950 or 1.87 to a current rate of 0.58 and a projection by 2045 of -0.32. Also by the UN: India has gone from a 1950 growth rate of 1.73 to a current rate of 1.46 to a projection by 2045 of 0.32. Neither constitute run away populations.

They're still very safely on the positive side of the graph, though. The world population rate has decreased from near-catastrophic population growth to merely unmanageable population growth. This does not mean that we need to start gearing our public policy to increasing the population as much as possible.

Your understanding of world population growth rates is unstudied. Regardless, The U.S's growth rates while still positive are nonetheless declining along with the world's population growth rates.

And yet in every case, marriage itself has benefits, rights and privileges associated with it. In no case worldwide do you find any legal system where the benefits of marriage don't start flowing until the first child is conceived or born. They're tied to marriage itself, not to "providing for the future of the state" at all.

I don't know all the legal systems of all the world so I can't comment on when all the world's legal systems begin doing a thing. I have been exposed to several legal systems. I know several where benefits increase with the number of children produced. Regardless, the basic idea of states wanting to secure a future citizenry and thereby sanctioning a way for that to occur doesn't seem a particularly radical notion.

Yes there are, but the focus here is the state interest in and sanction of marriage and more specifically that gay marriage is distinct from heterosexual marriage on a fundamental level.
IOW, you don't discount the possibility that the state may very well have a vested interest in and derive benefit from same-sex marriage, but you want to limit the scope of your argument so it seems like these things do not exist.

As to what you posted: the basic point is/was that homosexual marriage and heterosexual marriage are not similarly situated. There is a base difference. Heterosexual marriages may produce new citizens the other cannot. The state may see benefit in having new citizens and their foster: thus the sanction of heterosexual marriage. If someone wants to argue there is some great benefit gay marriage brings to society they may make that argument. If enough of their fellow citizens are convinced then the law may reflect that point of view.

Last edited:

Tau

So you've observed these problems in kids in two-parent lesbian and gay families? Because the ones I know receive outstanding parenting and have turned out great.

Interrupt request.

I mentioned that the lack of a man or equilivant authoritarian figure resulted in disharmony.

That does not infer at all that there are any disciplinary problems in homosexual families if at least one or more parents assumes that role.

I was merely highlighting an example of where gender or perhaps gender roles are relevant.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
There is no gay marriage right in the California Constitution. To assert one exists and demand state compliance, absent the explicit will of the majority, is to contravene democratic principles. If gay marriage advocates want legal standing then they should convince a majority of their fellow citizens and pass legislation to that effect.
Nor is there a 'heterosexual right to marriage' in the California Constitution.
However the California Constitution does state that bans on same sex marriage are illegal.
thus the reason Proposition 22 was overturned even though the majority voted it in.

As to what you posted: the basic point is/was that homosexual marriage and heterosexual marriage are not similarly situated. There is a base difference. Heterosexual marriages may produce new citizens the other cannot. The state may see benefit in having new citizens and their foster: thus the sanction of heterosexual marriage. If someone wants to argue there is some great benefit gay marriage brings to society they may make that argument. If enough of their fellow citizens are convinced then the law may reflect that point of view.
And here we see your error.
Same sex couples do not have to show how their marriage would 'benefit' society.
It has to be shown how same sex marriages are a detriment to society in order to ban same sex marriage.
Thus far there has not been a single legitimate legal reason to ban same sex marriage.

Orontes

Master of the Horse
Nor is there a 'heterosexual right to marriage' in the California Constitution.

Quite right. There is no reason the state must endorse and sanction marriage. The fact that it does is because the state believes there is a benefit to be gained, nothing more.

However the California Constitution does state that bans on same sex marriage are illegal.

No, it does not.

And here we see your error.
Same sex couples do not have to show how their marriage would 'benefit' society.
It has to be shown how same sex marriages are a detriment to society in order to ban same sex marriage.
Thus far there has not been a single legitimate legal reason to ban same sex marriage.

I think you have misunderstood the point I was making. It was a legal point. Heterosexual and homosexual marriage are not 'similarly situated. This is a legal term that speaks to equity claims. The reason they are not similarly situated is because of a fundamental difference: the one can produce people while the other cannot. This means any deference that may be given to the one, does not automatically confer to the other. Gay marriage advocates therefore must make their own way politically and cannot ride on the coattails of other relations the state may favor.

As to same sex couples not having to show a benefit to society: that is a political question. Whether they make the attempt or no is not my affair. As you no doubt know, there is a large swath of the population that consider homosexuality morally repugnant. Showing societal benefits may be one course gay advocates opt for, to sway opnion to advance their cause. What they may not opt for is circumventing the political process and declare and impose rights by fiat from above.

As to showing same sex marriage is a detriment to society in order to ban: societal detriment may or may not be true. What the parameters are to judge societal detriment would need to be clear. Regardless, and more to the point, I don't think anyone has asserted gay marriage must be banned. If gays wish to marry they may. The question is whether the state, must recognize and endorse the marriage. This means gay marriage advocates are making a demand on the state. As such, the onus is on the one making the demand, not the state (and by state one is referring to the larger citizenry who compose the state).

Let me illustrate the above. Imagine it is 1910 America. Women cannot vote. This may irk some. They feel women can speak to the politics of the state just as a man and should be entitled to do so. Making these kind of arguments is perfectly fine. Now if some women's suffrage group got a judge to rule women actually do have a right to vote because the Constitution notes free speech, or through some appeal to the equal access etc., such would be contrived as the claimed right doesn't exist. If the judge's ruling was then imposed i.e all voting stations must allow women to vote or the workers will be imprisoned or some other penalty, it would a usurpation of democratic process. What would actually to be need to be done is have the appropriate legislature pass a law allowing women to vote, or better still change the Constitution (which of course entails ratification). Laws, rights etc. are determined by the will of the people. There are no rights outside the will of the people. When this principle is abandoned then democracy suffers.

MEMNOCK

Spiritual Tour Guide
9-10ths, you do know you are talking about a religious organization that has been know for racism and polygamy till only the last few decades. The group only recently changes these practices when they became widely known. After looking into what the church believes, I wouldn't put to much stock in what the LDS church condems.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'm not assuming; I'm responding to the thread. Mormons have been quick to criticize me for using the same kinds of words that Mormons have used against me, first, in this thread. I suggest that you direct your primary attention to your co-religionists. Among other things, this would prevent me from having to do so.

I didn't get that from your post. I came here to let you know not every Mormon is the way you portray them. Your response? To come after me.

Or, maybe I misinterpreted.