• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS letter on same-sex marriage

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
and this is why i am going to just hit the ignore button because of you're bafooning around not knowing about anything you're talking about. you're on the same level as Fish-Hunter in my book.

What? Use ignore all you want, but this is a little ridiculous. What is it that she is ignorant of? She used a very relevant, valid analogy. I'm sorry you don't like the implications, but they are true. It shows the ridiculousness of your statement. I can understand not wanting to see that, but it's good to face the truth sometimes.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Oh, please don't get him started about how he loves us so much he wants to help us overcome the terrible trial of being different from him....

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
and this is why i am going to just hit the ignore button because of you're bafooning around not knowing about anything you're talking about. you're on the same level as Fish-Hunter in my book.
Be my guest. Of course, I haven't put you on ignore, so that will prevent you from responding to my correct, accurate and restrained posts. I see you cannot find any flaw in my reasoning, and are reduced to having to pretend to ignore me.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Interesting. When he says it, it's common sense, but when I say it, it's bafooning around.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
It could be if God made it so, couldn't it? Or are you trying to put limits on God?

now you are just being silly.

God has said no. and until he comes out and says it's okay i will forever retain my position. I also know they he never would because of what i know about the Nature of God.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
God has said no. and until he comes out and says it's okay i will forever retain my position. I also know they he never would because of what i know about the Nature of God.

Do you mean this nature of God (1 John 4:16)?

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.

Or did you maybe mean the nature of God's Law (1 Colossians 2:20-23)?

Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Maybe it would clear things up if you explained exactly where, when and how you think God said "no".

misanthropic_clown

I was personally pretty shocked that the Church decided to step into what I essentially believe to be a political/legal issue. I've always been proud to repeat the mantra that the LDS may appear to have strict rules to the outside world, but at least we don't attempt to impose these rules in any official political capacity. Rather, it is usually left to the members to decide themselves what is moral in a situation at hand.

Frankly, I feel that this intervention is a betrayal of a longstanding tradition of neutrality and should not be looked upon kindly by members, regardless of their actual opinions of the morality of the issues at hand.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I was personally pretty shocked that the Church decided to step into what I essentially believe to be a political/legal issue. I've always been proud to repeat the mantra that the LDS may appear to have strict rules to the outside world, but at least we don't attempt to impose these rules in any official political capacity. Rather, it is usually left to the members to decide themselves what is moral in a situation at hand.

Frankly, I feel that this intervention is a betrayal of a longstanding tradition of neutrality and should not be looked upon kindly by members, regardless of their actual opinions of the morality of the issues at hand.

Interesting. Didn't know that. Thanks. Other Mormons? What do you think of what misanthrope is saying?

madhatter85

Transhumanist

It may seem liek that but you do not understand the gravity of the situation.

I know that the prophets have seen what it would do and what kind of problems it would cause for the freedom to enjoy religion.

The enjoyment of religious freedom takes a back seat in every legal issue there is. and there will be lawsuits and political lobbying against churches who do not recognize SSM, who refuse to perform them and such. And yes, even though the church does not owe anything to anyone, there will still be problems that arise for the church because of legalaizing same sex marriages.