• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning from the first teachers of some religions

Niatero

*banned*
I say "some religions" because I don't think it applies to everything that anyone calls a "religion." I think it applies to Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, the past official religions of China, Judaism, the past official religions of Greece and Rome, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, the Babi and Baha'i Faiths and possibly a few others. I think that the first teachers of those religions all taught valuable lessons for living the best life we can, that we can still learn from the stories in those religions, including the sayings of the first teachers, even considering how the stories might have changed through transmission and translation.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I say "some religions" because I don't think it applies to everything that anyone calls a "religion." I think it applies to Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, the past official religions of China, Judaism, the past official religions of Greece and Rome, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, the Babi and Baha'i Faiths and possibly a few others. I think that the first teachers of those religions all taught valuable lessons for living the best life we can, that we can still learn from the stories in those religions, including the sayings of the first teachers, even considering how the stories might have changed through transmission and translation.
Who exactly was the first teacher of Hinduism?

Niatero

*banned*
I don’t know. It doesn’t matter, for what we can learn from the stories. Actually, now that I think of it, it’s debatable who were the first teachers of any of the religions of today. I need to reconsider how to say what I’m thinking. Thanks.

(later) Maybe “primary teachers”? Even if they’re fictional, I think it’s helpful to think of them that way. In Hinduism, one of them would be Krishna. Not saying that he’s entirely fictional. I don’t know if he is or not, but it doesn’t matter for what we can learn from the stories. It isn’t only one teacher for any of the religion. For example for Judaism and Christianity it includes the prophets. Maybe “central teachers? Intuitively I think it’s useful to think of some characters in the story that way. Oh! Because it’s helpful to immerse ourselves in the stories, and that would include thinking of some characters as primary or central teachers.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don’t know. It doesn’t matter, for what we can learn from the stories. Actually, now that I think of it, it’s debatable who were the first teachers of any of the religions of today. I need to reconsider how to say what I’m thinking. Thanks.

(later) Maybe “primary teachers”? Even if they’re fictional, I think it’s helpful to think of them that way. In Hinduism, one of them would be Krishna. Not saying that he’s entirely fictional. I don’t know if he is or not, but it doesn’t matter for what we can learn from the stories. It isn’t only one teacher for any of the religion. For example for Judaism and Christianity it includes the prophets. Maybe “central teachers? Intuitively I think it’s useful to think of some characters in the story that way. Oh! Because it’s helpful to immerse ourselves in the stories, and that would include thinking of some characters as primary or central teachers.
One of the main objections from Hindus with the Baha'i faith was their labeling Krishna as a manifestation, or teacher. From the Gaudiya Vaishnavism (one sect within the umbrella known as Hinduism) Krishna is God, period. From other sects POVs Krishna is more or less irrelevant, much like Christ would be, although we respect the teachings, as they're dharmic in nature. There are also sects that are much older than Vaishnavism, like Saivism.

Others see various Vedic sages as being the first teachers, yet they were discoverers of the knowledge within, and shared it orally. Later it was written down. It's sort of like mathematics, and various folks discover stuff that already exists, like Pythagoras and others did.. It is believed by almost all sects of Hinduism that that very knowledge is inherent, within everyone, and all we have to do is get to it through delving deep within our spines via intense yogic practices.

But I agree with your point about the main thing being the teachings, not really who taught it. Certainly there is no central teacher or founder of Hinduism, and since that essential knowledge is within everyone, we're all in a sense our own primary teachers.

Niatero

*banned*
I don’t know. It doesn’t matter
One of the main objections from Hindus with the Baha'i faith was their labeling Krishna as a manifestation, or teacher. From the Gaudiya Vaishnavism (one sect within the umbrella known as Hinduism) Krishna is God, period. From other sects POVs Krishna is more or less irrelevant, much like Christ would be, although we respect the teachings, as they're dharmic in nature. There are also sects that are much older than Vaishnavism, like Saivism.

Others see various Vedic sages as being the first teachers, yet they were discoverers of the knowledge within, and shared it orally. Later it was written down. It's sort of like mathematics, and various folks discover stuff that already exists, like Pythagoras and others did.. It is believed by almost all sects of Hinduism that that very knowledge is inherent, within everyone, and all we have to do is get to it through delving deep within our spines via intense yogic practices.

But I agree with your point about the main thing being the teachings, not really who taught it. Certainly there is no central teacher or founder of Hinduism, and since that essential knowledge is within everyone, we're all in a sense our own primary teachers.
"Be your own guru." - Aupmanyav

Niatero

*banned*
Maybe. I have a Guru, and it's more about the energy they pass, but also the knowledge of just HOW to delve within yourself to find answers. A great navigator still needs a road map.
That's how I think about it too.

(later) A person has to have read or heard some Hindu teachings to have reasons for thinking that they are a Hindu, and that might be more of a reason for their progress than they think.

Niatero

*banned*
It is believed by almost all sects of Hinduism that that very knowledge is inherent, within everyone ...
I agree with that, but to learn from the stories of the religions, I think it's good to immerse in them and for me that includes thinking of some of the characters in them as best teachers, and primary sources of knowledge and wisdom about living the best life we can.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree with that, but to learn from the stories of the religions, I think it's good to immerse in them and for me that includes thinking of some of the characters in them as best teachers, and primary sources of knowledge and wisdom about living the best life we can.
In my view, one needs to do that with a discerning mind, as some characters can teach you what not to do, or you can misinterpret the stories to suit your agenda, as did some high ranking Nazis under Hitler used the BG to justify their unjust war. But generally, sure.

☆Dreamwind☆

That might be a bit difficult since the first teachers are quite dead and have been for some time. Many of the oral and early writing traditions have been lost to time, destroyed, or altered. So i suppose we generally just try to do as best we can with what we do have. Also, any religion worth its salt is as old as the hills, but will still adapt and change with the times for the better not the worst. They're useful as blueprints and strong foundations, but not always as useful for continuing on in the modern day for some things at least.

Last edited:

Niatero

*banned*
That might be a bit difficult since the first teachers are quite dead and have been for some time. Many of the oral and early writing traditions have been lost to time, destroyed, or altered. So i suppose we generally just try to do as best we can with what we do have. Also, any religion worth its salt is as old as the hills, but will still adapt and change with the times for the better not the worst. They're useful as blueprints and strong foundations, but not always as useful for continuing on in the modern day for some things at least.
Now instead of saying "first teachers" I'm saying "some teachers." I'm saying that there are valuable lessons that we can learn by immersing in the stories of many religions including the ones I listed, and for me immersing myself in the stories includes thinking of some of the teachers in them as the source of the light in them.