• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning Hebrew

I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm still in the middle of learning more about Judaism, and probably a long way off from finally converting, but, I'd really love to learn Hebrew, for various reasons, like, I'd like to be able to read Jewish texts (whether it's the Torah, or other texts) in its original language (which, from what I understand, is the best way), as well as being able to read modern day works that are only avaiable in Hebrew (like, I recently saw this site, which is, apparently, a really great site on Abraham Abulafia and includes PDFs of his works, as well as insights into his teachings). It would also be a way for me to connect with, both Judaism.

I know Hebrew is a hard language to learn (at least, from what I've heard), but, I'd definitely like to do this.

Thanks for any help at all.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I wish I could be of more help, especially because I could not agree more that learning Hebrew is integral to fully experiencing Judaism, and to comprehending Jewish text. But the truth is, Hebrew is a hard language to try and teach oneself, especially if one does not already know a non-Germanic/Romance language.

I'm not saying don't try anything on your own. If you want to do a Pimsleur course or a Rosetta Stone course in modern Hebrew, it would be a good start, no question. But Hebrew is a tough nut to crack alone. And, though this may be secondary, keep in mind, modern Hebrew isn't quite the same as Biblical Hebrew, especially given the Bible is written so extensively in poetry. It would be manageable to transition from one to the other, I think, if one had had very good immersion-quality training in modern Hebrew, but with what most of us could manage as autodidacts...? Chancey, I'd say. Not impossible, but hard.

It may be inconvenient, unhelpful, or expensive advice, but I really recommend taking classes. An ulpan (immersion course in Hebrew) would be ideal. Whatever you do, I would take Hebrew from Jews. If you are looking at Hebrew classes at a non-Jewish institution, make sure they have a Jew teaching the course.

I know, call me insensitive, call me rigid and exclusionary, call me judgmental, but in my experience non-Jews rarely seem to be able to perfectly master the rhythms, feel, and mindset of Hebrew enough to be language teachers-- teachers of Jewish text, theology, poetry, etc., sure...but pure language...? It does happen, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't want to gamble on it the first time out.

Maybe if you were taking the class someplace absolutely unimpeachable, like SOAS (who do offer a course, if you're interested).... Otherwise, I do notice that LJCC offer a series of courses that look promising, and LSJS (of which, I admit, I have heard only little) also do so.

Beyond this, I would ask at the New North London Synagogue for where they recommend taking Hebrew. They will surely have good advice for you.

xkatz

David_2010,

Like Levite said, Hebrew is a very hard language to learn, especially alone. You are best off finding help at a local synagogue, either through a Hebrew learning program or through someone who is willing to teach Hebrew one-on-one.