• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Left & Right "Racism"

Is xenophilia just as racist as xenophobia?

• Total voters

buddhist

One definition of "racism" is: a "preconceived judgment or opinion" of "a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics" (expanded from MW, definition #2)

Most might probably understand "racism" to mean preconceptions or pre-judgments resulting in unwarranted hatred towards specific classes of people (e.g. xenophobia), as opposed to a careful, rational evaluation of the individuals belonging to the class.

However, wouldn't you also agree that "racism" can also be understood as preconceptions or pre-judgments resulting in unwarranted love or acceptance towards classes of people (e.g. xenophilia), also in opposition to a careful, rational evaluation of the individuals in the class?

I was thinking about this in light of how many leaders are condemning hatred towards migrants (a class of people); however, I also see that many of those same leaders are guilty of racism themselves, having welcomed those same migrants with open arms, labeling that whole class in a specific way (e.g. as peaceful).

Would you agree that xenophilia is just as racist as xenophobia?

Laika

Premium Member
Voted "yes" as it is still racism. what comes to mind is the way the far east was mythologised as exotic or "oriental", or perhaps views that emphasis "Whiteness" as a charateristic of the "civilised" european. I think it boils to down what is "unwarrented" though.

buddhist

Voted "yes" as it is still racism. what comes to mind is the way the far east was mythologised as exotic or "oriental", or perhaps views that emphasis "Whiteness" as a charateristic of the "civilised" european. I think it boils to down what is "unwarrented" though.
I would suggest that "unwarranted hatred or love" is based on the belief that general observations (whether valid or not) regarding characteristics of a class are always applicable to every individual within the class.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I don't think society has a good working definition of the word 'racism' at this time. I would like to see the word used less and people describe their own feelings and opinions about others and situations in more than this one word.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
One definition of "racism" is: a "preconceived judgment or opinion" of "a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics" (expanded from MW, definition #2)

Most might probably understand "racism" to mean preconceptions or pre-judgments resulting in unwarranted hatred towards specific classes of people (e.g. xenophobia), as opposed to a careful, rational evaluation of the individuals belonging to the class.

However, wouldn't you also agree that "racism" can also be understood as preconceptions or pre-judgments resulting in unwarranted love or acceptance towards classes of people (e.g. xenophilia), also in opposition to a careful, rational evaluation of the individuals in the class?

I was thinking about this in light of how many leaders are condemning hatred towards migrants (a class of people); however, I also see that many of those same leaders are guilty of racism themselves, having welcomed those same migrants with open arms, labeling that whole class in a specific way (e.g. as peaceful).

Would you agree that xenophilia is just as racist as xenophobia?
"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."​
Not sure how to vote....

gsa

A white xenophobe who hates blacks is somewhat xenophillic to white people.
A white xenophile who unwarrantedly loves blacks is somewhat xenophobic to non blacks.
I would say it is racism.

I do not see why unwarranted love of one group of strangers/foreigners necessarily implies hatred, dislike or phobia of the groups that do not fit that group, though. It can, of course, but what about the feeling itself, however irrational, produces some amount of irrational prejudice, hatred or dislike of another group?

buddhist

I don't think society has a good working definition of the word 'racism' at this time. I would like to see the word used less and people describe their own feelings and opinions about others in more than this one word.
I agree. It's overused, to the point where IMO most people don't really know what it means. So, this thread ;)

buddhist

So when are you going to define it?
What do you think of the definition in post #10?
I thought I defined "racism" in my original post. The definition you provided (superiority or inferiority) is one way of understanding "racism", another way (as I presented it) is viewing it as "labeling a whole group (whether in a positive or negative way)"

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I thought I defined "racism" in my original post. The definition you provided (superiority or inferiority) is one way of understanding "racism", another way (as I presented it) is viewing it as "labeling a whole group (whether in a positive or negative way)"
Then to answer the poll, yes, it can be considered racism

buddhist

Certain types of liberals have gone insane with the whole race and diversity thing. I mean INSANE.
It is unfortunate that many have become xenophilic racists themselves, in their quest to stamp out xenophobic racism.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Here's the thing; a xenophile is never going to put "others" in camps and eventually make soap out of "others" for the sole crime of being an "other".

buddhist

Here's the thing; a xenophile is never going to put "others" in camps and eventually make soap out of "others" for the sole crime of being an "other".
In other, equally negative ways, I think we're seeing the effects of xenophilic philosophy today.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
In other, equally negative ways, I think we're seeing the effects of xenophilic philosophy today.
I really want to know what could be as "equally negative" as concentration camps and gas chambers. I'm all ears. I'm sure Bosnians, Gypsies, Homosexuals, Leftists, Slavs, Albanians, Turks and Jews are listening equally intently.