• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lefty loonies and liberals, what the hell happened to us?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Here is an open question to all in thread to answer why is it that women around the country are coached from girlhood how NOT to get raped. We are coached on how to carry our keys, how to scan the street for creepy looking people and to stay away from them, how to do self defense moves in case we are attacked from behind, how to watch our drinks at parties, how to be with one of our friends at all times and never to try to find the bathroom alone, how to use a rape whistle, where the emergency towers are on a university campus, etc, etc, etc.

Now why is it that men do not have these conversations? What do you call this social phenomenon that men do not have this particular stress factor in their lives? What do you call this particular stress factor that women have on a daily basis whenever we want to leave the house to go to work, school, or to the store?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Now why is it that men do not have these conversations?
Who speaks for all of us to say we don't? I've discussed avoiding assault with Mrs Revolt, & both my son & daughter. I've discussed this with some other parents, & how we help our kids keep themselves safe. Steps are being taken.

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I've found myself getting politically more conservative as I get older, apparently that tends to happen. ;)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Who speaks for all of us to say we don't? I've discussed avoiding assault with Mrs Revolt, & both my son & daughter. I've discussed this with some other parents, & how we help our kids keep themselves safe. Steps are being taken.

Specifically how not to get raped. We all get the conversations about awareness training. But do sons get the "watch your drink at sorority parties" speech?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Specifically how not to get raped. We all get the conversations about awareness training. But do sons get the "watch your drink at sorority parties" speech?
Sororities have parties? But we do advise avoiding frat parties entirely.

Parenthetical aside:
I recall some TV show wherein some gal was drugging guys at bars, & then sexually assaulting them. Tis good for all to be aware of their environment, & even unforeseen consequences of their own actions. I favor this for all....men, women, boys, girls, trans.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sororities have parties? But we do advise avoiding frat parties entirely.

Parenthetical aside:
I recall some TV show wherein some gal was drugging guys at bars, & then sexually assaulting them.

I have never once denied that males can be sexually assaulted. So let's make that abundantly clear. I've brought it up on RF before that we need to change the conversation when boys are assaulted by their female teachers, and instead of treating it as if he scored the jackpot, that she sexually assaulted him.

That being said....

....do men get the speech of not letting your drink get out of sight along with other "how not to get raped" daily bits of advice? If not, why is that?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
k
I have never once denied that males can be sexually assaulted.
I know, & would never imply otherwise.
I've brought it up on RF before that we need to change the conversation when boys are assaulted by their female teachers, and instead of treating it as if he scored the jackpot, that she sexually assaulted him.
Yes, we both have.
....do men get the speech of not letting your drink get out of sight along with other "how not to get raped" daily bits of advice? If not, why is that?
In general, I see that males & females will get different warnings, often tailored to males being seen as perps, & females seen as victims. This seems the wrong approach. (Whether all this advice is daily or not seems immaterial.) I see a greater taboo of dealing with males being raped, so it's not discussed as much as it should be.
Parenthetical aside (again):
In my immediate family, we work with & know many in the prison system (as consumers & workers). Particularly here, rape of males is more public a controversy. Awareness should be greater.

Last edited:

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
I know you think I'm "a leftist", cause I think the Kippers are batty, but I agree with you. The left-right thing is mostly total balls.

The only reason that I use the left-right yardstick is because, in terms of sheer simplicity, the populus tends to regard those in favour of mass-immigration "extreme left" and total restriction of immigration on the "far right", when, in fact, this is ridiculous.
But it really is to make things a lot simpler!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The only reason that I use the left-right yardstick is because, in terms of sheer simplicity, the populus tends to regard those in favour of mass-immigration "extreme left" and total restriction of immigration on the "far right", when, in fact, this is ridiculous.
But it really is to make things a lot simpler!
I'll offer another shameless plug for my preferred political spectrum.....the Nolan Chart.
(It comports well with N Americastanian usage by media & political parties.)
Now, in addition to left & right, we'd also have up & down.

Libertarian-Nolan-Chart.png

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I've found myself getting politically more conservative as I get older, apparently that tends to happen. ;)
And I went the other way. I grew up in a staunchly Republican family and considered myself to be one until the early 60's and beyond with the civil rights issues especially being the catalyst. Here in the North, Republicans tended to resist equal rights for blacks, women, and, later, gays. In the South, it was both Republicans and "Southern Democrats" that resisted equal rights, but starting in the late 60's and going into the 70's, most "Southern Democrats" became Republicans.

Civil rights was the general issue that eventually led to my "conversion", but some other issues also kicked in, including the Vietnam conflict, taking care of the sick and elderly, the abortion issue, immigration, etc., and I found myself increasingly being opposed to the Republican platforms.

So, my pro-Democrat position is in reality more of an anti-Republican position.

metis

I'll offer another shameless plug for my preferred political spectrum.....the Nolan Chart.

The problem I have with this chart is that each one of these terms need to be both defined in context plus determined in regards to application, all of which tends to be quite variable. For example, if I state "economic freedom", it begs the question "... for whom?". Same with "legislated morality". Which morality? And "Evolve beyond Left/Right" is highly conjectural.

On top of this, notice the hammer-and-cycle on the left and the swastika on the right, neither of which really applies here in the States except for a small handful of people-- thank God.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The problem I have with this chart is that each one of these terms need to be both defined in context plus determined in regards to application, all of which tends to be quite variable. For example, if I state "economic freedom", it begs the question "... for whom?". Same with "legislated morality". Which morality? And "Evolve beyond Left/Right" is highly conjectural.

On top of this, notice the hammer-and-cycle on the left and the Swastika on the right, neither of which really applies here in the States except for a small handful of people-- thank God.
It's not perfect, but it's my favorite chart of all that I've seen. As for the definitions, they work well in the stated context.

The "evolve" comment is only about getting past the limitations of the linear left v right spectrum, by adopting a planar spectrum. (In Flatland terminology, the old left-right spectrum would be called "Lineland".)

Very few people will be at the extreme corners of the diamond, but the symbols are useful as quick reference points.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Every group has fools and violent-prone jerks. If there is but a few cosmic laws that is one of them. Today we have a more unique problem in that far too many people are far too exposed to having the ideas of others pumped into their heads. Because we are increasingly bombarded with "you decide, we report" style of "journalism," marketing algorithms that only give us things we'll want to see, and companies that need to get you to take in their stuff, they need groups to be fairly homogenized.If people are having real discourse, it isn't as easy to advertise and sell them the same junk.

Here is an open question to all in thread to answer why is it that women around the country are coached from girlhood how NOT to get raped. We are coached on how to carry our keys, how to scan the street for creepy looking people and to stay away from them, how to do self defense moves in case we are attacked from behind, how to watch our drinks at parties, how to be with one of our friends at all times and never to try to find the bathroom alone, how to use a rape whistle, where the emergency towers are on a university campus, etc, etc, etc.
My experience on that is growing up male, though I got some bits of advice about environmental awareness and being cautious about people and drinks and stuff, the idea of being aware of specifically rape never was mentioned, never brought up, and never made to be a concern until after I took the first few steps in transitioning. At a discussion meeting my therapist had, she asked how many of us have become afraid of rape like never before, and everyone who was living full time nodded in agreement.

That one I do not like because it implies Communist and Nazis are close together, and that the US Democrat party is further left than Communist, even though Communist tend to be as left as Anarchist (as Marxist Communism is ultimately stateless), and that the US Republican party is further right than the Nazis. I think what we really need, rather than a one dimensional left/right or two dimensional left/right up/down, we need a three dimensional sphere where a point of basic approaches is placed, with a second 3D amorphous sphere to cover more detailed aspects, and a mathematical forumla applied to give us a number to place someone in an area that can tell others where their roots are and then where their ideas branch out from there.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
So, my pro-Democrat position is in reality more of an anti-Republican position.

I have the impression that American politics is generally more to the right than UK politics, which in turn is more to the right than some European countries. I blame the transAtlantic influence for that. ;)
We have a UK election coming up in May and currently I'm not sure. I don't trust Labour with the economy and I don't trust the Conservatives with the National Health Service.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That one I do not like because it implies Communist and Nazis are close together, and that the US Democrat party is further left than Communist, even though Communist tend to be as left as Anarchist (as Marxist Communism is ultimately stateless), and that the US Republican party is further right than the Nazis. I think what we really need, rather than a one dimensional left/right or two dimensional left/right up/down, we need a three dimensional sphere where a point of basic approaches is placed, with a second 3D amorphous sphere to cover more detailed aspects, and a mathematical forumla applied to give us a number to place someone in an area that can tell others where their roots are and then where their ideas branch out from there.
The hammer & sickle aren't about communism, but rather the old USSR.
No, we can't do a 3 dimensional spectrum....at least not until PC displays can generate holograms.
When they do, we'll talk!

metis

I have the impression that American politics is generally more to the right than UK politics, which in turn is more to the right than some European countries. I blame the transAtlantic influence for that. ;)
We have a UK election coming up in May and currently I'm not sure. I don't trust Labour with the economy and I don't trust the Conservatives with the National Health Service.
Definitely to the right, including as compared to Canada and Australia. We're still very far away from the coverage like your National Health Service, and it still bewilders me how so many Americans consider themselves to be "true patriots" and yet are all too willing to let millions of Americans not have even basic health-care coverage.

Two major studies (the non-partisan Kaiser Family Foundation and Harvard University), showed that roughly 40,000+ Americans w/o health insurance were dying prematurely each year before 2009, and yet to these "true patriots" made it clear that this didn't make one iota of difference to them. Basically it's the "I have my insurance, and it's too damned bad if you don't have yours.".