• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legalized Gay Marriages in Canada

Pah

Uber all member
Jensa said:
*wonders how long it'll take to save money to move to Canada...*
Just the cost of a bus ticket, a few days of food and lodging, and the stamina and resolve to stick it out till a job is found.

Bob

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
You sure..? I'm pretty terrified of going out on my own after reading Nickel and Dimed...

Pah

Uber all member
Jensa said:
You sure..? I'm pretty terrified of going out on my own after reading Nickel and Dimed...
Of course I'm not sure. But if you are serious and your purse is light, search for some support groups. It's more important to have a commitment to what you see as a better life than all the means to achieve it.

You can do it if you want to - that's all I'm really saying.

But consider going when it's warmer and get used to hearing "eh?"

Bob

Master Vigil

Is there anything about canada that isn't great? I mean seriously. I don't know of anything that I may see that would make it a bad place to live. Sure it's a little more expensive and its cold. But other than that... I think the scale is tipped in good favor.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Master Vigil said:
Is there anything about canada that isn't great? I mean seriously. I don't know of anything that I may see that would make it a bad place to live. Sure it's a little more expensive and its cold. But other than that... I think the scale is tipped in good favor.
Canada is to be congratulated for its social concern, progressive thinking and the wisdom to stay out of unnecessary, unjust wars.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I heard on NPR that there has not been much organized opposition to gay marriages in Canada. At most, there have been a few scattered protests.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Alberta, our most "fundamentally Christian" (not compared to the U.S.) province, was strongly against gay marriage. I stayed home from school to watch the announcement. I was like :eek: :woohoo: :woohoo: !!!

I'm proud to live in such a socially progressive country, however, much work needs to be done, before homosexuals are accepted by all the general public. I agree with them that priests and other religious authorities do not have to perform gay marriages, although it is right that they be allowed. Are you sure that they didn't say that the Constitution justified gay marriage? The lawyers that were interviewed said that it was agreed upon that the right to a full gay marriage flowed directly from the constitution.

Regardless, this is one huge leap for homosexuals everywhere! :jam:

The only bad thing I can see happening, is for Alberta to ban anyone from performing gay marriages, or my territory to do the same thing (Nunavut). Nunavut is populated largely by Inuit. To quote our Premier, Paul Okalik, "Homosexuality is largely a white disease, and it does not affect Inuit."

Personally, I see the man as racist. Many Inuit in high positions here are. (Don't see me as racist for saying that. It may be a generalization, but it is supported by some evidence.)

The Territorial government here is so corrupt... (Do a search for "Boparai" and "Nunavut")

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
No, desi, two people going and getting married is now legal.

And yes, it is a social milestone, since not forcing morals on other people is generally considered to be a social milestone. Which includes gay marriage.

Ah, US of A, how far behind you are...

Pah

Uber all member
desi said:
So two guys or girls living together is now legal marriage in Canada, gee what a social milestone.
Yes it is, I see it as a vote for freedom from religion.

Bob

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
And yes, it is a social milestone, since not forcing morals on other people is generally considered to be a social milestone.
May I add, "False Morals".

So two guys or girls living together is now legal marriage in Canada, gee what a social milestone.
No, as Jensa said, they get married. If a priest won't marry them, than the province is under obligation to do so. If they are of a pagan faith, then there is little doubt that the pagan religious authority will marry them. If they are atheist, or agnostic, than they should BURN!!!!! :p j/k Then, again, the province/territory will marry them.

It is, most definately, a social progression.

At leat the U.S.A. isn't as far back as some countries (yet?).

Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_which_permit_or_outlaw_homosexual_behavior

Africa:

17/52 countries permit Male Homosexuality.

25/52 countries permit Female Homosexuality.

17/52 countries permit both Male and Female homosexuality.

North America and Central America:

13/20 countries permit Male Homosexuality.

15/20 countries permit Female Homosexuality.

13/20 countries permit both Male and Female Homosexuality.

South America:

11/12 countries permit Male Homosexuality.

12/12 countries permit Female Homosexuality.

11/12 countries permit both Male and Female Homosexuality.

Asia:

14/32 countries permit Male Homosexuality.

20/32 countries permit Female Homosexuality.

14/32 countries permit both Male and Female Homosexuality.

Europe:

45/45 countries permit Male Homosexuality.

45/45 countries permit Female Homosexuality.

45/45 countries permit both Male and Female Homosexuality.

Middle East:

2/15 (It shows 3, but Iraq can prosecute them under other laws) countries permit Male Homosexuality.

2/15 (It shows 3, but Iraq can prosecute them under other laws) countries permit Female Homosexuality.

2/15 (It shows 3, but Iraq can prosecute them under other laws) countries permit both Male and Female Homosexuality.

Oceania:

4/13 countries permit Male Homosexuality.

10/13 countries permit Female Homosexuality.

4/13 countries permit both Male and Female Homosexuality.

desi

Jensa said:
No, desi, two people going and getting married is now legal.

And yes, it is a social milestone, since not forcing morals on other people is generally considered to be a social milestone. Which includes gay marriage.

Ah, US of A, how far behind you are...
Forcing morals is what law is about, this court ruling forces morals just like any other law.

Pah

Uber all member
desi said:
Forcing morals is what law is about, this court ruling forces morals just like any other law.
No sir!! Law is about providing justice and an orderly society. The society can be immoral or amoral or moral.

Bob

P.S. I'm reading, among other books, A Theroy of Justice by John Rawls

Fluffy

A fool
Besides these don't force morals. You don't think its right for gay people to get married then don't marry a person of the same sex as you. Gay marriage does not cause harm and therefore you are either beneficially affected or unaffected by this law to legalise it.

Yay for Europe... didnt realise all of those Eastern European countires allowed homosexuality :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well on social equality issues the US is usually a few years behind Canada, so perhaps we will eventually see this type of lesislation passed. I'm glad Canada had the forsight to do what our country would not and I'm shure that it will prove to be a good example. Canada's experience will give creedence to the gay marrage issue here when a few years of statistics can disprove the radical rights propaganda.

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
ps, I'm always a bit disturbed yet amused by the idea of law 'permitting' homosexuality or 'allowing' it. Ah what fun views on Feedom we have. ;)

wa:do

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Fluffy said:
Yay for Europe... didnt realise all of those Eastern European countires allowed homosexuality :)
Yes, generous of them not to throw anyone in jail for having sex with someone of the same gender...gay marriage is still not on the cards for most of Europe though.