• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lesser Gods

atanu

Premium Member
"I am" is the one and only factual truth, more self evident than an apple on one's palm. All observations automatically prove "I Am", which however is not observable or graspable, unlike the apple.

So, when scriptures teach "I am" is the only God and all else is lesser (other gods, anya devata - in Sanskrit), IMO, they are not teaching worship of a fictional thing.

OTOH, worship-attachment to created objects due to the very existence of "I Am" is idolatry.

Subject open for dissection.

Therefore mortify [put to death] the deeds of the body that are of the earthly life: fornication, impurity, inordinate affections, evil lusts of the flesh, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Col 3:5

So, does anyone hold that destroying idols (murtis) in temples is equal to overcoming idolatry?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Dear Gloone

Is "I am" awareness, which is devoid of contents, same as "I am this" awareness, which has one's body as the observed contents and which automatically puts universe in opposition to oneself?
The problem is that we are particular beings, while God is Being. We occupy temporal space, so it's natural for us to conceptualize ourselves as this particular thing. It's also natural for us to conceptualize God as this particular thing.

There is a vast difference between particularity -- "thisness" -- and universality.

atanu

Premium Member
The problem is that we are particular beings, while God is Being. We occupy temporal space, so it's natural for us to conceptualize ourselves as this particular thing. It's also natural for us to conceptualize God as this particular thing.

There is a vast difference between particularity -- "thisness" -- and universality.

Very true. However, the particular discreteness is apparent and the continuous is not. Idolatry is mainly covetousness, which is the main thing in every mind, arisen simply due to the notion of discrete existence.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Very true. However, the particular discreteness is apparent and the continuous is not. Idolatry is mainly covetousness, which is the main thing in every mind, arisen simply due to the notion of discrete existence.
I agree. If we were to apprehend God indiscretely, we'd be a lot better off -- in a whole lot of ways!

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic

The only thing that's universal in that sense is the universe itself, and that's still a particular thing; it's just the largest thing.