• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lesser of the evils;or enthusiastic supporters?

Riders

Really i wonder how many folks at the end of the election will have voted because they chose the lesser of the evils or true supporters? Personally, I am not crazy about Kamala and would prefer 3rd party candidate. But if I were to vote It would be Kamala, t would be worth it to keep Trump out.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Really i wonder how many folks at the end of the election will have voted because they chose the lesser of the evils or true supporters? Personally, I am not crazy about Kamala and would prefer 3rd party candidate. But if I were to vote It would be Kamala, t would be worth it to keep Trump out.

The past several years have been rather chaotic, politically speaking. I think a lot of people might go for the lesser of two evils, but then take a wait-and-see approach. If she gets a Democratic House and Senate, she might be able to make some changes for the better.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist

I think that it is always the case that there are a lot of voters who would have preferred to vote for a different candidate at the end of an election. We have a two-party system because of the way plurality voting works (see Duverger's Law). So you can vote for one of the two party candidates or just leave it up to others to decide which of them will win. There are a lot of people who use third-party candidates as a kind of protest against the major party candidate they prefer, but that just tends to get them the greater of two evils, since their vote would have gone to the lesser if they had chosen a major party candidate. Personally, I prefer not to think of my choice as the "lesser of two evils". For me, it is just the "better of two candidates". I never get everything I want in the politicians I vote for.

Pogo

I think that it is always the case that there are a lot of voters who would have preferred to vote for a different candidate at the end of an election. We have a two-party system because of the way plurality voting works (see Duverger's Law). So you can vote for one of the two party candidates or just leave it up to others to decide which of them will win. There are a lot of people who use third-party candidates as a kind of protest against the major party candidate they prefer, but that just tends to get them the greater of two evils, since their vote would have gone to the lesser if they had chosen a major party candidate. Personally, I prefer not to think of my choice as the "lesser of two evils". For me, it is just the "better of two candidates". I never get everything I want in the politicians I vote for.
Well there is also the situation of many states that are so one way or another that a vote for a third party candidate is a reasonable expression of opinion. That we generally only speak of the two party popular vote is one of the behaviours that reinforces the two party system. There are a bunch of other ballot line to vote on, we need to start using them even if they are not that useful at the national level. :)