• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Nonsense, BBT says it started 13.8 billion years ago!

No, it doesn't. That is a popular belief. But we haven't observed that it started. That idea comes from theoretical physics and not the other kind of physics.
If we assume the universe is orderly, we can infer that it started, but we haven't observed that it started.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
In order to start to exist you have to be embedded in a time dimension, but the dimension is just a direction through the space-time 'object'.
So how does one get embedded in a time dimension in order to start to exist, if one hasn't started to exist yet due to not yet being embedded in the time dimension?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
So how does one get embedded in a time dimension in order to start to exist, if one hasn't started to exist yet due to not yet being embedded in the time dimension?

Well, you stop thinking about it. Because every time you think about the universe, your thinking causes the universe to be as how you think it is. That is how powerful your thinking is.
In effect how you think, determines how the universe is. You just have to think and then the universe is, how you think. ;)

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
If spacetime did not start, how did the universal space begin, and continue to exist?
I'm really not sure how to make this much simpler. In the GR BB model, space and time are not separate things. There is no universal space. Time does not tick away in the background regardless. These are outdated Newtonian ideas that have been falsified by evidence.

Instead we have the space-time, which is a kind of geometrical 'object'. What you and me perceive as time is just a direction through the space-time and, if we are moving relative to each other, not even the same direction for both of us.

Surely you can see that if we follow a direction through an object and find that there comes a point at which you can go no further, you might say colloquially that the object "starts" there (in that direction), but that's not telling you anything much about why the object exists and what caused it. It doesn't mean that the object sprang into existence there. Looking for the reason the Earth exists at the North Pole is not a sensible strategy just because you can't go any further north from there.

The same applies to going back in time through the space-time and finding you can't go further that 13.7 bya.

Why are you assuming that the space-time needs to start to exist?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I'm really not sure how to make this much simpler. In the GR BB model, space and time are not separate things. There is no universal space. Time does not tick away in the background regardless. These are outdated Newtonian ideas that have been falsified by evidence.

Instead we have the space-time, which is a kind of geometrical 'object'. What you and me perceive as time is just a direction through the space-time and, if we are moving relative to each other, not even the same direction for both of us.

Surely you can see that if we follow a direction through an object and find that there comes a point at which you can go no further, you might say colloquially that the object "starts" there (in that direction), but that's not telling you anything much about why the object exists and what caused it. It doesn't mean that the object sprang into existence there. Looking for the reason the Earth exists at the North Pole is not a sensible strategy just because you can't go any further north from there.

The same applies to going back in time through the space-time and finding you can't go further that 13.7 bya.

Why are you assuming that the space-time needs to start to exist?
o_O
Why are you assuming the spacetime universe never needed to begin existing.

ratiocinator

Ok, so you've been joking this whole time like mikkel.
Also note:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Ok, so you've been joking this whole time like mikkel.

I am using in the end skepticism on you. Now my style is the absurd as per reductio ad absurdum and that is not really a joke. But yes, sometimes I make jokes,

Here is the trick. If you find a limit in your thinking, you will experience that as a negative, but if you assume everything must make sense in a positive sense, you dismiss when it doesn't.
So as absurd as per above for reality is one, I just answer two. And then I notice if you get that it is a falsification of the fact that reality is one.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You are, of course, free to dismiss and laugh at evidence and tested science but doing so after you have offered zero reasoning or evidence for your own position seems to be the amusing thing to me.

The joke, I think, is rather on you...
My God, you are serious! Ok, how does one get embedded in a time dimension in order to start to exist, if one hasn't started to exist yet due to not yet being embedded in the time dimension?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Also note:
I seriously thought you were being funny, how is that abuse?

ratiocinator

Ok, how does one get embedded in a time dimension in order to start to exist, if one hasn't started to exist yet due to not yet being embedded in the time dimension?
You already asked that. It is based on a false premiss, namely, that the space-time needs to start to exist.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You already asked that. It is based on a false premiss, namely, that the space-time needs to start to exist.
Ok, in for a penny, in for a pound.

You do realize that time is not an independent entity, it is a concept to represent the continuity of existence. Think of 3D space as existing, and then project the continuity of that existence as a time dimension, bingo spacetime.

Now there is no time without existence, and there is no existence without time.

So if spacetime did not begin, we would not be talking to each other, but it did.

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

I beg your pardon, you are claiming there was not a beginning to universal spacetime?

Depends on whether the singularity which the Big Bang model traces back to, indicates a boundary condition or a historic event. If the former, it need have no precursor, and no cause. But any speculation about the universe prior to approximately 300,000 years after the BB remains exactly that; speculation. And physicists are well into the territory of metaphysics when speculating thus.

ratiocinator

You do realize that time is not an independent entity, it is a concept to represent the continuity of existence. Think of 3D space as existing, and then project the continuity of that existence as a time dimension, bingo spacetime.

Now there is no time without existence, and there is no existence without time.

So if spacetime did not begin, how come we are talking to each other?
The problem is that you're starting from some sort of intuitive ideas of your own instead of looking at the theory that has been produced from, and tested against, the evidence.

I'm not making this stuff up. It's standard general relativity and the resulting cosmological model.

First, throw your intuition in the bin. Now, GR treats the space-time as a single, 4-dimensional manifold. Time is a direction through it - actually an observer specific direction because different observers will see different directions as their time axes. The manifold is a geometrical 'object'. This is how all the calculations are done in relativity, how all the predictions are made. Time has no other meaning than the observer dependent directions through the manifold.

So, talking about the manifold itself coming into existence is meaningless. One would have to postulate another time dimension and, presumably, some meta-space-time manifold to embed ours in, then you'd be asking for a meta-meta-manifold and quickly disappear into an infinite regress.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Depends on whether the singularity which the Big Bang model traces back to, indicates a boundary condition or a historic event. If the former, it need have no precursor, and no cause. But any speculation about the universe prior to approximately 300,000 years after the BB remains exactly that; speculation.
This is insane. Was there a beginning to the universe and if so, was that beginning needed for the universe to exist as it does today, that is all?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Nope, you're wrong. I don't "ignore science." Furthermore, what do you think of Richard Feynman? I'm sure you must have heard of him, haven't you?
Yes I know of Richard Feynman. He is a famous Physicist. Jewish atheist. He is famous for his work in Quantum Mechanics, and his ability to popularize science.