• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
"some universes may have no time"

How can a universe be a universe without time.

What does it mean to be a universe? Maybe the difficulty is that I don't see a good definition of the concept.

If you want a 'causally closed system', then the absence of time would imply there is no causality at all, which would imply such a system is causally closed.

We Never Know

No Slack
Well, as I hope I made clear, we do not know if any such universes exist.

But why would the absence of time imply non-existence?

You said in a previous post time is equivalent to movement/measurement.(something like that)
If there is no movement/measurement how could anything exist?
With no time nothing could evolve or decay.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
What does it mean to be a universe? Maybe the difficulty is that I don't see a good definition of the concept.

If you want a 'causally closed system', then the absence of time would imply there is no causality at all, which would imply such a system is causally closed.
Interesting question. Maybe there is not a good definition, but hat do you mean to be a universe? I consider tw with variations of two possible descriptions: {1} our local expansion from a singularity (maybe?) or possibly a cyclic universe within a greater . . . (2) Boundless, timeless matrix that contains our universe and all possible universes possibly a multiverse.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You said in a previous post time is equivalent to movement/measurement.(something like that)
If there is no movement/measurement how could anything exist?
With no time nothing could evolve or decay.

Quantum Mechanics describes the smallest scale world with no continuous time/space or gravity. Particles come and go in this boundless matrix that underlies our space/time univeerse.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member

So my intitial reaction is to think how dumb that is in the context of the concept of universal time, and then I remember that you perhaps are not thinking in terms of universal time?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
"some universes may have no time"

How can a universe be a universe without time.
Beats me, but these folk don't define time as universal time, if you can understand this from ratiocinator, you are doing better than I.

First, throw your intuition in the bin. Now, GR treats the space-time as a single, 4-dimensional manifold. Time is a direction through it - actually an observer specific direction because different observers will see different directions as their time axes. The manifold is a geometrical 'object'. This is how all the calculations are done in relativity, how all the predictions are made. Time has no other meaning than the observer dependent directions through the manifold.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
A time coordinate. So, in 4+0, there is no time. In 2+2 there would be two dimensions of time (and two of space).

This also is assuming the total manifold is of four dimensions (like ours). There is no reason to assume this. it is possible to have, say, a 5+3 geometry: five dimensions of space and 3 of time.
Ok, I do not grok that. Are you using time in the context of ratiocinator's explanation?

First, throw your intuition in the bin. Now, GR treats the space-time as a single, 4-dimensional manifold. Time is a direction through it - actually an observer specific direction because different observers will see different directions as their time axes. The manifold is a geometrical 'object'. This is how all the calculations are done in relativity, how all the predictions are made. Time has no other meaning than the observer dependent directions through the manifold.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
When your intuition clashes with the evidence, your intuition loses. Mine too, it's not personal. :)

The problem is that we have no reason at all to think that human intuition will be any good at all at the fundamentals of the universe, why would it be? It evolved to keep us alive in very limited circumstances as far as the whole universe is concerned.

Quantum mechanics breaks everybody's intuition, yet you are using a device to post here that wouldn't work unless it was substantially correct.
Wrt intuition in the context of physical science, you make a point.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, I do not grok that. Are you using time in the context of ratiocinator's explanation?

Yes, of course. That is standard usage and is necessary to understand general relativity. It is the viewpoint that has the most evidence at this time.

Beats me, but these folk don't define time as universal time, if you can understand this from ratiocinator, you are doing better than I.

No, we don't use universal time because we know that such is contradicted by actual evidence from the universe.

And yes, that is a basic fact that simply needs to be dealt with. It has been known for over a century and is supported by a wide variety of actual observations and tests.

If you don't understand this, then it is best if you take some time and think deeply about it. Ask some questions. Ask about the experiments that show it to be true.

But yes, GR treats spacetime as a single 4-dimensional manifold. Time is a direction (like left, right, up, down, forward, backward) and different observers can *and do* see different directions in spacetime as their time axes.

Which part of this do you not understand? And do you actually not understand it, or do you simply refuse to believe it?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Yes, of course. That is standard usage and is necessary to understand general relativity. It is the viewpoint that has the most evidence at this time.

No, we don't use universal time because we know that such is contradicted by actual evidence from the universe.

And yes, that is a basic fact that simply needs to be dealt with. It has been known for over a century and is supported by a wide variety of actual observations and tests.

If you don't understand this, then it is best if you take some time and think deeply about it. Ask some questions. Ask about the experiments that show it to be true.

But yes, GR treats spacetime as a single 4-dimensional manifold. Time is a direction (like left, right, up, down, forward, backward) and different observers can *and do* see different directions in spacetime as their time axes.

Which part of this do you not understand? And do you actually not understand it, or do you simply refuse to believe it?
Just about all of it, it is counterintuitive to my understanding of universal time. Yes, I am aware of the perturbations of relative time, observer time, but I consider the universe as a unity, such that any and all distinctions are relative attributes, and am not distracted or concerned with them except in the context of living in this contemporary human society whereby I try to fit in and abide by the common rules of it.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Yes, that was my claim. You got it wrong. Look at what your post claimed that I said. It is not even close to that.
There is an implication that a universe without time may be possible in what you said, or do you disagree and say you meant to imply a universe without time is impossible?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Of course not. That is a concept that has been disproved.
I accept that it may be seen as disproved in the context of human science which is dualist/relative, but to my meditative mind, the universe is an indivisible one, and its continuing existence is universe wide regardless of the perturbations of relative/observer time. Both universal and relative time exist, the latter within the former.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There is an implication that a universe without time may be possible in what you said, or do you disagree and say you meant to imply a universe without time is impossible?
Yes, of course it is possible. I even made a similar claim to that of @Polymath257 . But you insist on misinterpreting posts at times. I used the all important qualifier "may". And you keep demonstrating that you are extremely dualistic. It appears you read a phrase the you like without understanding its full implications.

If you want to claim that someone said something perhaps you should quote them instead of doing such a botched job of interpreting what they said.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I accept that it may be seen as disproved in the context of human science which is dualist/relative, but to my meditative mind, the universe is an indivisible one, and its continuing existence is universe wide regardless of the perturbations of relative/observer time. Both universal and relative time exist, the latter within the former.
You blew your cover. This claim of yours no longer flies.