• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Druidry

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Druidry was mentioned a little while back in this thread: Let's Talk About Paganism, but I feel it deserves its own thread, based on the fact it isn't necessarily a Pagan movement. It's really more of a lifestyle, in my opinion, and can be combined with various religions, not just Pagan ones.

I used to be a member of a Druid order, and there were Pagan Druids, Christian Druids, Atheist Druids, and a smattering of Buddhist Druids that I conversed with. I remember having an interesting conversation with a Christian Druid about how Druidry might mix with Islam. @The Hammer and I have had some conversations on how Druidry and Hinduism might mix.

Based on its diversity, I'm giving it it's own thread. :D

What do you know of Druidry? What would you like to know?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It’s a really popular character class in fantasy games. In non religious folk who are also gamers, that is where their minds go when druidry is brought up.

In video games, they use elemental and nature magic, are cool with the gods, and can shapeshift into animals.

Idk much about druidry in real life though.
I used to be a WoW nerd. I remember Druids.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Well, I guess I'll start with some history and that Modern Druidry as it is practiced today while having a name and minor symbolic reference and iconography of the ancient Druids (Trees, Groves, Sacred Wells), very little is actually known of them as it was a mostly oral and story teller culture.

Druidry got its start as an idea during the Romance period of the 17th and 18th centuries. During this period several fraternal style orders were created with Druid symbology, but these were more akin to freemason lodges than religious orders.

Druidry starts to become a religion/religious with the writings of Welsh Nationalist Edward Williams (Iolo Morganwg).

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
The first fully Neopagan Druid order was OBOD, the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids; which was established in the mid 1960's.
Were they fully Neopagan?

If I remember right, Ross Nichols started it, and he was a Christian.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure I can let @The Hammer beat me out in number of posts... not after @JustGeorge kicked things off to make it sound like a race or competition. :tongueclosed:

One of the things that's interesting is the relationship between Wicca and Druidry. Both of these religions - at least in their contemporary Pagan incarnations - got started in the UK. Gerald Gardner and Ross Nichols knew each other. There's probably more crossover than we'll ever know about because it isn't documented anywhere, but it explains some of the structural similarities between the traditions. I think that's a neat thing about modern religions - they draw from many wells. The threads that weave into both of those traditions come from all over and many historical eras.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
You seem to have missed out Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
I had that in mind but chose the simpler (even if not correct) term. Was Druid beliefs popular in all UK? Of course, Wikipedia would answer that.
Not using the term for modern (sort of made-up) variation. Oh, even the Celts had Druids.
The proto-Celtic term (druwides) is even closer to Indian Dravidas. Does it point to something?
Perhaps the root of these words in PIE. *weid of PIE is Veda in Sanskrit and many other IE languages is 'knowing'.
Please note that the name Dravida was given to South Indians by Aryans.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
"Not correct", certainly but simpler? In what way? Do you call Germany Prussia or the U.S.A. Texas in your pursuit of simplification?
No. Take it as 'my bad'. But 'Druwides' is so close to 'Dravidas' that it is a matter to be investigated.
Perhaps the Indian Aryans termed the indigenous people as 'Dravidas' accepting that they too knew a lot.

".. the word is cognate with the later insular Celtic words: Old Irish druí 'druid, sorcerer'; Old Cornish druw; and Middle Welsh dryw 'seer; wren'."
The 'wren' (the chirping bird) knows a lot and speaks it out what it knows.

So the etymology of both the words 'Druid' and 'Dravida' is settled. :D

Last edited:

GoodAttention

No. Take it as 'my bad'. But 'Druwides' is so close to 'Dravidas' that it is a matter to be investigated.
Perhaps the Indian Aryans termed the indigenous people as 'Dravidas' accepting that they too knew a lot.

See explanation below :)

".. the word is cognate with the later insular Celtic words: Old Irish druí 'druid, sorcerer'; Old Cornish druw; and Middle Welsh dryw 'seer; wren'."
The 'wren' (the chirping bird) knows a lot and speaks it out what it knows.

So the etymology of both the words 'Druid' and 'Dravida' is settled. :D

I propose another that is interesting on many fronts.

sva-para-druhā—which is envious of the performer and of others
Veda-druhau—two demons who were against the Vedic principles
bhūta-druham—revolter against other living beings SB 1.17.10-11
tata-druham—enmity towards the father. SB 1.18.37

"...attested in Old Irish (suí 'sage, wise man' < *su-wid-s 'good knower', duí 'idiot, fool' < *du-wid-s 'bad knower', ainb 'ignorant' < *an-wid-s 'not-knower').

Perhaps the Aryans travelled the world hurling insults at those who were different! ;) The Celts and druids wear the word with pride, and so Tamils will also.

Dravida is the Sanskrit word for Tamil or Damila I believed.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
We are talking of two terms, in two eras, one of the original Indo-Aryan (1,500 BCE) and the other of the biased Puranic brahmins (around the beginning of the Christian era) - know things and do not go by Vedas. In any case, I admire your knowledge.

SB 1.17.10-11: The verse does not refer to Tamils.
SB 1.18.37: This again has no reference to Tamils.
Prabhupada did not say that. Only the biased will connect it with Dravidas.

'Damila' seems to be a pronunciation of 'Tamil' without using a hard 'T'. I think Indian Aryans knew hard 'T'. Twastr, Trita, Vritra,

Last edited:

GoodAttention

We are talking of two terms, in two eras, one of the original Indo-Aryan (1,500 BCE) and the other of the biased Puranic brahmins (around the beginning of the Christian era) - know things and do not go by Vedas. In any case, I admire your knowledge.

SB 1.17.10-11: The verse does not refer to Tamils.
SB 1.18.37: This again has no reference to Tamils.
Prabhupada did not say that. Only the biased will connect it with Dravidas.

'Damila' seems to be a pronunciation of 'Tamil' without using a hard 'T'. I think Indian Aryans knew hard 'T'. Twastr, Trita, Vritra,

When I think of druids first that comes to mind is the massacre at Angelsey or Ynys Mon in the North West of Wales, circa 60CE by the Romans.

My guess regarding Ynys to Sanskrit

akṛta-enasām—of those who are sinless. SB 4.11.8

The key character here is Boudica, or "Victorious woman". One cannot ignore the Sanskrit bhakti meaning "attachment, devotion to, fondness for, homage, faith or love, worship, piety to something as a spiritual, religious principle or means of salvation".

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
Bhagawat Purana is a Viashnav scripture, and as an atheist, I do not have much interest in it. Of course, Manu talking to Dhruva about peace is good. Krishna too said that in fighting a war emotions should not play any part. But that is it.
My interest in Druids is limited to the origin of the word. Of course, perhaps they were the part of the Yamnaya people who branched to the far west as the Indian Aryans branched to far east, i.e., India. So, they are likely to have many similarities. And differences too, which they collected from interacting with different people on their way over the millenniums.
But your mention of Boudica made me open the Wikipedia page, as well as that of Angelsey (Ongli :)).

Last edited: