• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Druidry

GoodAttention

Bhagawat Purana is a Viashnav scripture, and as an atheist, I do not have much interest in it. Of course, Manu talking to Dhruva about peace is good. Krishna too said that in fighting a war emotions should not play any part. But that is it.
My interest in Druids is limited to the origin of the word. Of course, perhaps they were the part of the Yamnaya people to branched to the far west as the Indian Aryans branched to India. So, they are likely to have many similarities. And differences too, which they collected from interacting with different people on their way.
But your mention of Boudica made me open the Wikipedia page, as well as that of Angelsey (Ongli :)).

Of course we can go to Tamil for Boudi-ka :). Wikipedia tells us the name was honorific, and the ka was added to note woman, meaning "boudi" would have its own meaning.

புத்தி​

putti n. buddhi. 1. Reason, power of discernment or judgment, one of the four species of antakkaraṇam, q.v.; அந்தக்கரணம்நான்கனுள் ஆராய்ந்துதெளியுங் கரணம். (சி. போ.சிற். 4, 1, 2.) 2. Intellect, understanding, knowledge, wisdom; ஞானம். புத்தி புகுந்தவா (திருவாச.13, 19). 3. Instinct, instinctive knowledge, as that of animals; இயற்கையுணர்வு. 4. Instruction, admonition, counsel, exhortation; போதனை.(W.) 5. Wise plan, method; நல்லுபாயம்.

Closest I could find for druid in Tamil, keeping in mind that in ancient times such people could have been considered leaders or "learned" in some form. The Romans also called Ynys Mons "Mona", which I believe also relates to nobility through the Latin root.

துரை​

turai n. cf. dhurya. [T. dora, K.dore.] 1. Chief, lord; master, ruler; gentleman,nobleman; தலைவன் கொஞ்சந் துரையே யருள்(திருப்பு. 70). 2. European gentleman; ஐரோப்பியன் Colloq.

Going back to Ynys Mon, I'm not sure if I am transliterating the first word correctly your input will be helpful @The Hammer

ஈன்(னு)-தல்​

īṉ- 8 v. tr. [T. īnu, K. M.īn.] 1. To bear, bring forth, yean; கருவுயிர்த்தல் (நாலடி. 400.) 2. To produce, yield, bring intobeing; உண்டாக்குதல் நயனீன்று நன்றி பயக்கும்(குறள், 97).

So my conclusion is Ynys Mons is "The place where nobles are made/become".

This has Aryan/PIE written all over it! @Aupmanyav !

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
'putti' is more Sanskrit than Tamil. I think there are other words in Tamil representing buddhi and wisdom.
'turai' could relate to 'turvasas' or Tocharians (Tusharas), Aryan tribes which came from Turan, other parts of Central Asia.
Some people opine that the word 'Thakura' comes from 'Tokharas'.
(like people in North India labelling any European as 'ang'rez' and any European countries as 'Vilayet').
Could not think an equivalent of 'īṉ'. The common Sanskrit word for that is 'bhuh'.
But I am not that much of a Sanskrit scholar. Sanskrit dictionary is large.
Yeah, Indo-European herders traveled far and wide. :)

GoodAttention

'putti' is more Sanskrit than Tamil. I think there are other words in Tamil representing buddhi and wisdom.
'turai' could relate to 'turvasas' or Tocharians (Tusharas), Aryan tribes which came from Turan, other parts of Central Asia.
Some people opine that the word 'Thakura' comes from 'Tokharas'.
(like people in North India labelling any European as 'ang'rez' and any European countries as 'Vilayet').
Could not think an equivalent of 'īṉ'. The common Sanskrit word for that is 'bhuh'.
But I am not that much of a Sanskrit scholar. Sanskrit dictionary is large.
Yeah, Indo-European herders traveled far and wide. :)

I leant more to Tamil because of the word புத்தகம் or "puttakam" means book, but again this doesn't prove anything. The dictionary I use usually tells if the derivation is Sanskrit. There are other words for wisdom, but "putti" is more about the practical, rather than the theory, if that makes sense. One who has "putti" can put his or her intelligence into action.

I presumed "putti" becomes "buddhi", and Boudica could have been Boudi-aka, with "aka" meaning older sister.

I had a good laugh today remembering when I said to you if Sanskrit and Tamil are siblings, one is always climbing on the others back.

But when we are presented with this I think, the same one that was climbing also carried the other on his back far and wide :).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Tamil 'Puttakam' seems to be from Sanskrit 'Pustakam'.
No one is climbing over shoulders of others. They were sisters. So, cannot one sister use things which belong to the other? Nail polish, lipstick, etc.
Of course, there are limitations.