• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Paganism

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I spent about 15 years as a Pagan. Paganism is dear to my heart; I view it as my 'parent religion'(and I didn't stop loving my parents just because I moved out).

It's really more of a blanket term; most Pagans practice a specific branch of it, and there can be quite a few differences or focuses between branches.

What is your experience with Paganism? What do you know? What would you like to know?

rocala

I feel strongly influenced by Modern Druidry. Although I have never knowingly met a Druid. There are some great writers out there but contact through the internet has been rather disappointing.

On another forum a practising Druid asked for book recommendations, he got a good response but it was nearly all fantasy lit. On another forum a woman replied to something but stressed she did not want to get into a discussion. No wonder there are so few on RF.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
They delight in producing a plethora of short-lived "Let's talk about" posts?
I'm Hindu.

And some have been going on for awhile.

I got tired of logging in and seeing nothing but posts that weren't relevant or attractive to me(and heard a couple others disappointed with such, as well).

I'm being the change I want to see in the world. (Or, more exactly, the forums.)

:p

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I feel strongly influenced by Modern Druidry. Although I have never knowingly met a Druid. There are some great writers out there but contact through the internet has been rather disappointing.

On another forum a practising Druid asked for book recommendations, he got a good response but it was nearly all fantasy lit. On another forum a woman replied to something but stressed she did not want to get into a discussion. No wonder there are so few on RF.
That surprises me. I've met quite a few Druids online, and had some really good quality conversations.

I think we've got three here; @The Hammer , @Bear Wild , and @Quintessence

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I have an inclination towards paganism, especially the darker side of it. I could consider myself pagan or at least a sympathetic modernized polytheist.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I have an inclination towards paganism, especially the darker side of it. I could consider myself pagan or at least a sympathetic modernized polytheist.
What would you say in your religion is Pagan, and what isn't?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
What would you say in your religion is Pagan, and what isn't?
There's a connection between the muses and classic deities (Etruscan, Greek, Roman even Celtic and Germanic).

In particular, the reason Lucifer ( aka, Lucifera) is usually thought of as feminine is because of a relation to Hecate, Trivia or Catha. All similar and interconnected. All three of them light bearers.

Also an emphasis on natural and down to earth principles.

amorphous_constellation

Well this morning before I went to bed, I was reading the wikipedia article on the 'cunning folk,' and I was trying to figure out more about the unusual word 'cunning.' It occurred to me that I like the word , I like the sound of it, but I don't think I like the modern definition of it, which seems to involve 'deceit' in getting what you want. I wondered if the definition of the word had been deluded somewhere. I sense that it seems like it may have very old etymological roots

And nor do I think it is just a word that is referring to one's intelligence. It seems closer to 'clever,' but it is not that either

But to be cunning, I think, might mean something along the lines of empowering one's personally accumulated wisdom in a unique way, if I were to redefine it. Perhaps. And something about trying to empower one's idiosyncratic knowledge or connection to the world, both the natural and man-made parts, might be what gives one a cunning edge. There might be a broad 'pagan' theme in this, perhaps in a broad kind of contradistinction to ideas in other religions , where the individual is primed to 'submit' to higher learnings. But if you are 'cunning,' you don't exactly do that, because the word seems to empower the individual to more personalized interpretations of what wisdom is

This is quickly seeming to be a complicated and mysterious thing to think about

MonkeyFire

I’m a faithful pagan. You have known my Father by many names, but the lie of the Bible is that tormentors will be found amongst the four living creatures. Is it time to create a new Bible?