• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Paganism

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
What would maybe not be is the more modern LHP tendencies.
What's non-Pagan about them?
Well this morning before I went to bed, I was reading the wikipedia article on the 'cunning folk,' and I was trying to figure out more about the unusual word 'cunning.' It occurred to me that I like the word , I like the sound of it, but I don't think I like the modern definition of it, which seems to involve 'deceit' in getting what you want. I wondered if the definition of the word had been deluded somewhere. I sense that it seems like it may have very old etymological roots

And nor do I think it is just a word that is referring to one's intelligence. It seems closer to 'clever,' but it is not that either

But to be cunning, I think, might mean something along the lines of empowering one's personally accumulated wisdom in a unique way, if I were to redefine it. Perhaps. And something about trying to empower one's idiosyncratic knowledge or connection to the world, both the natural and man-made parts, might be what gives one a cunning edge. There might be a broad 'pagan' theme in this, perhaps in a broad kind of contradistinction to ideas in other religions , where the individual is primed to 'submit' to higher learnings. But if you are 'cunning,' you don't exactly do that, because the word seems to empower the individual to more personalized interpretations of what wisdom is

This is quickly seeming to be a complicated and mysterious thing to think about
Who exactly are the 'cunning folk'?

Bear Wild

Oh I certainly was not referring to them.
No problem. It is not easy to find your way in the druid path because it is a developing religion with no set way. Despite that there are excellent organizations that can help form a way for one to go. If simply a spiritual path the Order of Bards, Ovates and druids has a online course which is very reasonable. It is centered in the welsh mythology. The ADF is another excellent organizations is centered on multiple Indo-European mythologies. One can evidently focus on which mythology seems correct to you. I belong to the New order of Druids which has an online program which is centered in Irish mythology. There is also Ancient Order of Druids in America (AODA), the Reformed Druids of North America (RDNA). THe other option is to read and connect with as many sources of knowledge as you can. I know any of us here are willing to share what we have experienced.

Bear Wild

I spent about 15 years as a Pagan. Paganism is dear to my heart; I view it as my 'parent religion'(and I didn't stop loving my parents just because I moved out).

It's really more of a blanket term; most Pagans practice a specific branch of it, and there can be quite a few differences or focuses between branches.

What is your experience with Paganism? What do you know? What would you like to know?
The book Drawing down the moon by Margret Adler gives and interesting perspective on the development of pagan religions with hers more centered in the us and through communications to practicing people. The one thing that struck me was how many described becoming pagan felt like "coming home". What is so fascinating to me is the slow maturation of the religion as it learns from so many resources and is typically very open. Its openness and lack of structure compared to the Abrahamic religions is its greatest blessing but also its curse. I find those who do connect to this religion often had to really invest themselves in learning rather than just being told what to do. Just a few ideas here.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Well this morning before I went to bed, I was reading the wikipedia article on the 'cunning folk,' and I was trying to figure out more about the unusual word 'cunning.' It occurred to me that I like the word , I like the sound of it, but I don't think I like the modern definition of it, which seems to involve 'deceit' in getting what you want. I wondered if the definition of the word had been deluded somewhere. I sense that it seems like it may have very old etymological roots

And nor do I think it is just a word that is referring to one's intelligence. It seems closer to 'clever,' but it is not that either

But to be cunning, I think, might mean something along the lines of empowering one's personally accumulated wisdom in a unique way, if I were to redefine it. Perhaps. And something about trying to empower one's idiosyncratic knowledge or connection to the world, both the natural and man-made parts, might be what gives one a cunning edge. There might be a broad 'pagan' theme in this, perhaps in a broad kind of contradistinction to ideas in other religions , where the individual is primed to 'submit' to higher learnings. But if you are 'cunning,' you don't exactly do that, because the word seems to empower the individual to more personalized interpretations of what wisdom is

This is quickly seeming to be a complicated and mysterious thing to think about
From the OED:

Middle English: perhaps from Old Norse kunnandi ‘knowledge’, from kunna ‘know’ (related to can1^), or perhaps from Middle English cunne, an obsolete variant of can1^. The original sense was ‘(possessing) erudition or skill’ and had no implication of deceit; the sense ‘deceitfulness’ dates from late Middle English.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
The book Drawing down the moon by Margret Adler gives and interesting perspective on the development of pagan religions with hers more centered in the us and through communications to practicing people. The one thing that struck me was how many described becoming pagan felt like "coming home". What is so fascinating to me is the slow maturation of the religion as it learns from so many resources and is typically very open. Its openness and lack of structure compared to the Abrahamic religions is its greatest blessing but also its curse. I find those who do connect to this religion often had to really invest themselves in learning rather than just being told what to do. Just a few ideas here.
That's an interesting read! I've got it on the bookshelves.

Yes, I completely agree about the lack of structure being a blessing and a curse. I think I did better once I joined a group, even if the group was remote. (But, that is simply part of my nature.)
I am an OBOD member, enrolled on the Bard grade. I took a long break during a bad time in life but have recently restarted.
I did the Bardic grade. Great experience. :)

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
My "faith" is made up of many bits and pieces, including from an assortment of Pagan ways.

You may remember I shared with RF the 9 virtues of Asatru, or Modern Norse Paganism. I find the Norse element of honor near and dear to my heart. I strongly adhere, every day, to the pre-battle prayer to Odin: Today is a good day to die. And with my Christian ffoundation it suits as a reminder to always live ready to die.

I also hold a very strong connection to the earth and elements. My "church" is generally my porch swing. I attend nature's revival when I can get my son to take me on the river. My family is already aware I wish my ashes to be scattered on a deserted river beach that was a huge influence on me growing up. Hopefully I'll go in the dead of winter so they won't have to be concerned with the black bears and cotton mouths.

This particular river is also a great part of my Pagan heritage of the Algonquians, my ancestors of the Chowanoc. Thanking the life given at mealtime is directly from my lineage. And I'm learning more such as the bonfire thanksgiving to the evil spirits for leaving you and yours in peace. Unfortunately what was written about the Chowanoc was written by English explorers decades after the colonists of Roanoke Island disappeared. Between them and the Spanish explorers of the 16th century, the Pagan ways are sprinkled with Christian ways.

Now, back to learning from you all!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
My "faith" is made up of many bits and pieces, including from an assortment of Pagan ways.

You may remember I shared with RF the 9 virtues of Asatru, or Modern Norse Paganism. I find the Norse element of honor near and dear to my heart. I strongly adhere, every day, to the pre-battle prayer to Odin: Today is a good day to die. And with my Christian ffoundation it suits as a reminder to always live ready to die.

I also hold a very strong connection to the earth and elements. My "church" is generally my porch swing. I attend nature's revival when I can get my son to take me on the river. My family is already aware I wish my ashes to be scattered on a deserted river beach that was a huge influence on me growing up. Hopefully I'll go in the dead of winter so they won't have to be concerned with the black bears and cotton mouths.

This particular river is also a great part of my Pagan heritage of the Algonquians, my ancestors of the Chowanoc. Thanking the life given at mealtime is directly from my lineage. And I'm learning more such as the bonfire thanksgiving to the evil spirits for leaving you and yours in peace. Unfortunately what was written about the Chowanoc was written by English explorers decades after the colonists of Roanoke Island disappeared. Between them and the Spanish explorers of the 16th century, the Pagan ways are sprinkled with Christian ways.

Now, back to learning from you all!
My 'temple' is in the alley right now. :)

Heyo

Veteran Member
I spent about 15 years as a Pagan. Paganism is dear to my heart; I view it as my 'parent religion'(and I didn't stop loving my parents just because I moved out).

It's really more of a blanket term; most Pagans practice a specific branch of it, and there can be quite a few differences or focuses between branches.

What is your experience with Paganism? What do you know? What would you like to know?
I have many friends who are Pagan, so I've picked up a few things, just by observing. So much so that some of those friends ask me for advice, which is strange because I don't believe in it.
Pagans have some things in common that make them more pleasant than monotheists. They are progressive (don't accept tradition easily) and inclusive (I guess having multiple, diverse gods informs that tendency). Most don't accept authority. (I've met many ex Wiccans, but no Wiccan.)
There are shallow people ("fluffy bunnies"), delusional and exploitative people in Paganism/New Age, but that is only expected and not more prevalent than in any other religion.

I've once been mistaken for a Druid and missed a great opportunity. I've simply denied being one when I should have said:
d9po1ha-d4cf74d5-eaa2-4110-88e6-9e443ea88414.jpg

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I've once been mistaken for a Druid and missed a great opportunity.

In a weird reverse of events: I had a friend in the military and we were discussing religious exemptions (we had a student requesting one), and he straight pegged me as a Druid without me ever having mentioned it, only mentioning that my faith was uncommon and not prevalent in the military. I was pleasantly surprised. I should have asked how he figured it out (I didn't wear pendants or anything then), but instead we just kind of kept on going with the conversation.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Well, I love Paganism. I feel like it's something that's truly mine, as opposed to the Abrahamic religions. It's lovely to be able to honor your actual heritage and culture through your spirituality. The ethics of Heathenry also suit me better. Paganism, to me, is really about recognizing the eternal order of Nature and acceptance of all the cycles of life. It is life affirming and does not posit that the world is broken, flawed or an illusion. I find it's teachings about the soul and cosmology to be very intricate, as well. I like how it's practical and also allows for development of one's own potential. Like, it's okay to ask for material blessings. It's much more realistic.

I think I know a fair bit. Lol. There's always more to learn.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I have many friends who are Pagan, so I've picked up a few things, just by observing. So much so that some of those friends ask me for advice, which is strange because I don't believe in it.
That is strange. What have you been asked?

In a weird reverse of events: I had a friend in the military and we were discussing religious exemptions (we had a student requesting one), and he straight pegged me as a Druid without me ever having mentioned it, only mentioning that my faith was uncommon and not prevalent in the military. I was pleasantly surprised. I should have asked how he figured it out (I didn't wear pendants or anything then), but instead we just kind of kept on going with the conversation.
I once had an autistic teen come up to me, stare at me, and say "you're a Druid" and went back to what he was doing. :D
Well, I love Paganism. I feel like it's something that's truly mine, as opposed to the Abrahamic religions. It's lovely to be able to honor your actual heritage and culture through your spirituality. The ethics of Heathenry also suit me better. Paganism, to me, is really about recognizing the eternal order of Nature and acceptance of all the cycles of life. It is life affirming and does not posit that the world is broken, flawed or an illusion. I find it's teachings about the soul and cosmology to be very intricate, as well. I like how it's practical and also allows for development of one's own potential. Like, it's okay to ask for material blessings. It's much more realistic.

I think I know a fair bit. Lol. There's always more to learn.
Yeah, there is a real practicality to it. One can't focus on spirituality if they're starving. The vast majority of us will need some kind of sustenance to survive. There is no shame towards that in Paganism.