• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Zen

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Before I discovered contemporary Paganism, I had a fascination with it. My brain at the time refused to accept it was a religion, because my brain at the time believed all religion was stupid nonsense. So instead I just casually practiced what later became more widely known as Jediism for a time, which to oversimplify is basically Zen Buddhism but with Star Wars science fantasy trappings.

. . .

Yeah, please feel free to laugh in amusement. I sure do. Probably why I don't ever bring it up... lol.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
There's a position that goes with Zazen, right?
Yes, it's typically a seated lotus position. Eyes partially open (I typically close them).
images.png

I can't cross my legs into my knees that way, so I keep mine folded in front of me. I sit on a cushion or porch steps to take the pressure off my spine and knees.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know too much about this branch of Buddhism, but have enjoyed the little I've read on it.

What do you know about Zen?

That it emphasizes mindfulness and zazen meditation. I practice both regularly, although not strictly from a Zen Buddhist framework.

What do you appreciate about Zen?

Both of the above, and also the general encouragement of compassion in Buddhism (not just Zen Buddhism). I'm sure studying it deeply would lead me to find more things to appreciate about it, too.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, it's typically a seated lotus position. Eyes partially open (I typically close them).
View attachment 96487

I can't cross my legs into my knees that way, so I keep mine folded in front of me. I used to sit on a cushion or porch steps to take the pressure off my spine and knees.
I remember sitting like that in the school office while waiting for my son to do his special education work. I found I could hold it between 5-10 minutes(though with no cushion) before my knees would lock, and feet would sleep.

I remember, though, it seemed to aligned my lower abdomen in such a way deep breathing became easier.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't know too much about this branch of Buddhism, but have enjoyed the little I've read on it.

I really appreciate the boots on the ground approach. I find zazen to be an excellent technique because it dosent have to be left on the cushion, and you can take it home with you!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I was introduced to it through my interest in the martial arts. I read and did a world history project on Taisen Deshimuru's The Zen Way to the Martial Arts. I found myself reading (and still really enjoy) Alan Watts. Like others, I started practicing zazen meditation, and find Zen and Taoistic philosophies to be a good foundation of my spiritual life.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Less than I've forgotten!

Gosh. Lots! Zazen is the gateway to peace, as some bloke once said. The "standard" posture is not suitable for everyone (eg me with my bloody knee!), appropriate posture on an upright chair is fine. I would say the posture of mind is the key feature.

Zen is the Japanese pronunciation/term for what came from China - Chan Buddhism. In Japan three major schools developed - Rinzai, Soto and Obaku. As well as zazen, another distinguishing feature is the use of koans, in Rinzai, at least. I know zero about Obaku.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Less than I've forgotten!

Gosh. Lots! Zazen is the gateway to peace, as some bloke once said. The "standard" posture is not suitable for everyone (eg me with my bloody knee!), appropriate posture on an upright chair is fine. I would say the posture of mind is the key feature.
I remember a year or two ago focusing a little on Zazen, and trying to adjust my posture the best I could for the situation I was in. I actually sometimes felt the most 'Zen' while driving.
Zen is the Japanese pronunciation/term for what came from China - Chan Buddhism. In Japan three major schools developed - Rinzai, Soto and Obaku. As well as zazen, another distinguishing feature is the use of koans, in Rinzai, at least. I know zero about Obaku.
What makes Rinzai and Soto different?

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I actually sometimes felt the most 'Zen' while driving.
I would say that is an example of the point - that the formalised practice becomes imbued in one's daily life.

What makes Rinzai and Soto different?
I think a distinction is that Rinzai has more focus on koans, whilst Soto has more focus on zazen (aka shikantaza). The centre I attended made no use of koans.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Do you have a favorite koan?

(Or does anyone else have one?)
I can tell you that I'm a koan junkie, so I'm not going to (intentionally) serve up any koans at this time. I can also tell you that this is one attachment that I'm going to keep, as a reminder and an example of what an attachment is. *doh*