• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Zen

Maninthemiddle

Zen Buddhism, a branch of Mahayana Buddhism, is renowned for its focus on meditation, simplicity, and direct insight into the nature of reality. Here are some key aspects of Zen Buddhism:

1. Origin: Zen Buddhism, known as Chan in China before spreading to Japan (where it became known as Zen), draws on Indian Mahayana Buddhism and is heavily influenced by Taoist philosophy.

2. Meditation: Zen places significant emphasis on zazen, or seated meditation. This practice aims to cultivate mindfulness and concentration, enabling practitioners to develop a deep awareness of the present moment and gain a firsthand understanding of reality.

3. Direct Insight: Zen teachings prioritize direct insight and personal experience over reliance on scriptures and intellectual doctrines. The tradition is known for its emphasis on direct transmission of wisdom from teacher to student.

4. Koans: In Zen practice, koans—paradoxical statements or questions—are used to provoke deep introspection and challenge conventional thinking in order to cultivate a profound understanding of one's true nature.

5. Artistic Expression: Zen has had a significant impact on the realms of art, calligraphy, tea ceremony, and gardening, focusing on simplicity, natural beauty, and the appreciation of the present moment.

6. Non-Dualism: Zen underscores the interconnectedness of all things, impermanence of phenomena, and the nondual nature of reality, often cultivated through direct experiential understanding and deep introspection.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
4. Koans: In Zen practice, koans—paradoxical statements or questions—are used to provoke deep introspection and challenge conventional thinking in order to cultivate a profound understanding of one's true nature
Quakers have a similar practice, though I've forgotten what they call these "questions." I thought this may be of interest to some thread followers:

A zen koan:
You have a heart. Use it.

A Quaker koan:
What is your original heart before you were born?

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Quakers have a similar practice, though I've forgotten what they call this "questions." I thought this may be of interest to some thread followers:

A zen koan:

A Quaker koan:
I like that one. (Well, those two.)

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Zen Buddhism, a branch of Mahayana Buddhism, is renowned for its focus on meditation, simplicity, and direct insight into the nature of reality. Here are some key aspects of Zen Buddhism:

1. Origin: Zen Buddhism, known as Chan in China before spreading to Japan (where it became known as Zen), draws on Indian Mahayana Buddhism and is heavily influenced by Taoist philosophy.

2. Meditation: Zen places significant emphasis on zazen, or seated meditation. This practice aims to cultivate mindfulness and concentration, enabling practitioners to develop a deep awareness of the present moment and gain a firsthand understanding of reality.

3. Direct Insight: Zen teachings prioritize direct insight and personal experience over reliance on scriptures and intellectual doctrines. The tradition is known for its emphasis on direct transmission of wisdom from teacher to student.

4. Koans: In Zen practice, koans—paradoxical statements or questions—are used to provoke deep introspection and challenge conventional thinking in order to cultivate a profound understanding of one's true nature.

5. Artistic Expression: Zen has had a significant impact on the realms of art, calligraphy, tea ceremony, and gardening, focusing on simplicity, natural beauty, and the appreciation of the present moment.

6. Non-Dualism: Zen underscores the interconnectedness of all things, impermanence of phenomena, and the nondual nature of reality, often cultivated through direct experiential understanding and deep introspection.

Thanks ChatGPT

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Quakers have a similar practice, though I've forgotten what they call these "questions." I thought this may be of interest to some thread followers:

A zen koan:

A Quaker koan:
We had Quakers regularly at our Zen centre.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

A zen koan:

A Quaker koan:

You might like this quick jaunt I have on my shelf.

42740095.jpg

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't know too much about this branch of Buddhism, but have enjoyed the little I've read on it.

What do you know about Zen?

What do you appreciate about Zen?
I only know that I really liked the stories. Stories about a craftsman taking 30 years to learn how to finally make the perfect clay pot, only to discover that his teacher still makes a better pot than him. Because the teacher makes his perfect clay pot WITH the perfect flaw in it.

How to see what isn't there. Like, it's not the four walls and the roof that make a place for one to live. It's the empty space between the four walls and the roof.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
In a similar syncretic vein I could recommend The Tao of Zen, by Ray Grigg. It basically covers the intermixing of Buddhism and Daoism to create Chan Buddhism in China, which was then carried to Japan where is became known as Zen Buddhism.
I furthered the syncretic flow by imbibing dark, dark chocolate and matcha tea with koan practice. (and I haven't even reached for the dark chocolate at the mention of koans in this thread-----yet.)

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
What do you know about Zen?

All I really know is that it is a tradition within Mahayana Buddhism and that zazen is one of its practices.

What do you appreciate about Zen?

I appreciate it for existing and being a path to enlightenment for many individuals and communities (yes, I know, it is not a path and that there is no enlightenment to attain, lol).

Long ago, when I began researching Buddhism and took interest in some of the practices, zazen was a practice that I tried out for a little while. There was this one afternoon of meditation in my bedroom that I will never forget. After the meditation, when I fully opened my eyes, I saw that everything and I were one without separation. There was a feeling of love toward everything. It was a special moment.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
All I really know is that it is a tradition within Mahayana Buddhism and that zazen is one of its practices.

I appreciate it for existing and being a path to enlightenment for many individuals and communities (yes, I know, it is not a path and that there is no enlightenment to attain, lol).

Long ago, when I began researching Buddhism and took interest in some of the practices, zazen was a practice that I tried out for a little while. There was this one afternoon of meditation in my bedroom that I will never forget. After the meditation, when I fully opened my eyes, I saw that everything and I were one without separation. There was a feeling of love toward everything. It was a special moment.
Then Roshi suddenly blows it all off with a huff, leaving you royally pissed he just pooped on your party! That degenerate scoundrel!

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
Then Roshi suddenly blows it all off with a huff, leaving you royally pissed he just pooped on your party! That degenerate scoundrel!

Roshi? Isn’t that the boy character on Winnie the Pooh? Christopher Roshi? I don’t think he’s a degenerate scoundrel at all!